DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mounting a Firehouse Arc V on the Bottom of a Mini

spudster

Reactions
Site
kuula.co
I wanted to get a Firehouse Arc 5 to mount on the bottom of my MM2 because I have a hard time finding it if it's more the a few hundred feet away. We know this can be a problem as there is no place to mount it on the bottom without blocking the vents. Here is a solution that found that works.

I first picked up a Landing Gear that fits on the bottom. I found one that is easy to remove as it has a little clip on the front that fits into the front vent. I picked up some 1/4" plastic square tubing. Cut the tubing into 1" length and glued it to the landing gear base and then used silicone sealer to attach the Arc 5 to the tubing. This allows good air flow out of the vents while giving access to the MM2 & Arc V switches and am still able to plug in the Arc V for charging.

Some things I learned on the project. I could have cut the tubing shorter but didn't know exactly where I wanted to position the strobe at first. I used 3M Command Strips to attach the strobe as it would have touched the ground using thicker double sided tape or velcro. If I did it again I would try to find some 3/16" tubing to allow a little more ground clearance.

With the first test run it works great and I can see the MM2 when it is 1000' away.

PXL_20210413_144520960.jpgPXL_20210413_194715554.jpgPXL_20210413_144608646.jpgPXL_20210413_194903523.jpgPXL_20210413_195115415.jpgPXL_20210413_195122685.jpg

PXL_20210413_144520960.jpg

Reactions: vindibona1
Not a bad way to approach this Spud. As you've fiigured out, you have to elevate the Mini one way or another.

I chose a different approach as I use landing gear that doesn't require removal for storage and transport. I've creatively placed velcro AROUND the switch and battery power indicator lights to maintain access but not block the heat vents on the bottorm. It does require staring the Mini before mounting the strobe but it isn't even a minor inconvenience. I have velcro on top of the Mini too, so I can "park" the strobe there, even for storage, turn everything on then put the light on the bottom before flight. Youl will also note small (red and green) strobes on the front arms. Those help me visually orient with way the Mini is pointed. I find those exceptionall helpful and have them held on by elastic hair bands- which happen to work very well and are dirt cheap. Also note the foldable landing gear. These allow me to pack keep everything attached in storage and take up virtually no additional space.

1618347547583.png

1618347580601.png

1618347624463.png

Arc_BottomMount.jpg

Attachments

• Arc_BottomMount_Velcro.jpg
    Arc_BottomMount_Velcro.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 48
I wanted to get a Firehouse Arc 5 to mount on the bottom of my MM2 because I have a hard time finding it if it's more the a few hundred feet away. We know this can be a problem as there is no place to mount it on the bottom without blocking the vents. Here is a solution that found that works.

I first picked up a Landing Gear that fits on the bottom. I found one that is easy to remove as it has a little clip on the front that fits into the front vent. I picked up some 1/4" plastic square tubing. Cut the tubing into 1" length and glued it to the landing gear base and then used silicone sealer to attach the Arc 5 to the tubing. This allows good air flow out of the vents while giving access to the MM2 & Arc V switches and am still able to plug in the Arc V for charging.

Some things I learned on the project. I could have cut the tubing shorter but didn't know exactly where I wanted to position the strobe at first. I used 3M Command Strips to attach the strobe as it would have touched the ground using thicker double sided tape or velcro. If I did it again I would try to find some 3/16" tubing to allow a little more ground clearance.

With the first test run it works great and I can see the MM2 when it is 1000' away.

View attachment 127225View attachment 127226View attachment 127227View attachment 127228View attachment 127229View attachment 127230

View attachment 127225
Where did u get the tubing and what kind of glue did you use?

Where did u get the tubing and what kind of glue did you use?
Got it from Amazon

I have a lot left. If you would like a big enough piece to work, PM me your shipping info and I will send you a piece. I just used some clear Gorilla Glue as it was handy but any good plastic glue should work, even a hot glue gun.

I've got a Ulanzi DR-01 strobe fixed under my landing gear with heavy duty velcro. It was a bit too close to the ground so I cut and attached some thin wall 10mm diameter aluminium tube to the bottom of the skids to raise it up a bit. I made them longer than the skids on the landing gear to give it more stability when it lands. Haven't really noticed any detrimental effect on battery life, payload etc. All is good
20200928_135919.jpg

Not a bad way to approach this Spud. As you've fiigured out, you have to elevate the Mini one way or another.

I chose a different approach as I use landing gear that doesn't require removal for storage and transport. I've creatively placed velcro AROUND the switch and battery power indicator lights to maintain access but not block the heat vents on the bottorm. It does require staring the Mini before mounting the strobe but it isn't even a minor inconvenience. I have velcro on top of the Mini too, so I can "park" the strobe there, even for storage, turn everything on then put the light on the bottom before flight. Youl will also note small (red and green) strobes on the front arms. Those help me visually orient with way the Mini is pointed. I find those exceptionall helpful and have them held on by elastic hair bands- which happen to work very well and are dirt cheap. Also note the foldable landing gear. These allow me to pack keep everything attached in storage and take up virtually no additional space.

View attachment 127234

View attachment 127235

View attachment 127236

View attachment 127233
Are you using payload setting for this?

Are you using payload setting for this?
No. Two small strobes on the front (R/G) ARC V on the bottom plus leg extensions haven't required payload mode. However, I did try adding one more ARC II and then payload kicked in. I couldn't figure out how to turn it off even if possible. The Mini 2 and Mini 1 always handled fine for general flight with the 3 lights and leg extensions.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54