DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Moving patterns (moire?) on DJI Mini 2

RedPhoenix

Reactions
Hello all. Proud new owner of 2 drones - Mavic Air 2 and Mini 2. I've been waiting to buy DJI drones for a long time and having saved enough, finally took the plunge.

I've taken both drones up for a short time - but have seen an issue on the Mini 2 that I haven't seen on the Air 2. There is a moire pattern across rooftops when I fly over buildings. It's really distracting and takes away from what is otherwise a stunning image.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what may be causing the issue? Many thanks

have seen an issue on the Mini 2 that I haven't seen on the Air 2. There is a moire pattern across rooftops when I fly over buildings. It's really distracting and takes away from what is otherwise a stunning image.
If you have some in that sample, I didn't spot it in three viewings, so there's not much.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what may be causing the issue? Many thanks
It can happen with any digital camera.
It's physics, rather than a fault.

I agree with @Meta4. I've seen much worse. Just a little bit in the top left quadrant towards the end.

As you'd expect using different camera settings can make it better. They can also make it worse. So you just have to experiment, keeping a record as you go. It's time consuming but with a bit of planning you could try most permutations over a couple of days.

Since changing settings will impact the effects of other artifacts you might also want to take note of the negative and positive impacts of said changes on highlights, shadows, noise, panning flicker, and so on.

Full disclosure, I live out in the boonies where we mostly have tin roofs! It's never been a problem for me but I notice it fairly often in others' clips.

Last edited:
Reactions: RedPhoenix
My understanding is moire is made worse when an image from one resolution is converted to a different resolution - and how bad it is depends on how that conversion is done.
Since this was shot 4K it's only really fair to judge it when viewed on a 4k monitor - which I don't have.

Do you have a 4k screen?

If you're viewing it on a 1080 monitor then the fault could lie with whatever is doing the down-ressing - eg youtube.

Yup, just downloaded the 4K file from youtube and watched on 4K monitor, and no moiré.
So in this case it's either the resizing to a different screen res if you're playing the file locally, or youtube processing.

My understanding is moire is made worse when an image from one resolution is converted to a different resolution - and how bad it is depends on how that conversion is done.
Since this was shot 4K it's only really fair to judge it when viewed on a 4k monitor - which I don't have.

Do you have a 4k screen?

If you're viewing it on a 1080 monitor then the fault could lie with whatever is doing the down-ressing - eg youtube.
Thank you so much everyone for all your time taken to reply. I really appreciate it. This reply sorted my problem out - I'm watching on a 2560x1600 MacBook Pro. Makes total sense now.

Kilrah, Rehkram, Meta4 - really appreciate you all for your input. Have a great weekend.

Reactions: rehkram
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quakzopas