DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Moving Up from DownUnder

Rog42

Reactions
Hey MavicPilots,

I've been a Spark Pilot since July 2017 with over 15 hours flight time, over almost 60 km (59,359m to be precise) and 137 flights in 5 countries.

So not exactly a n00b.

Since crashing (and temporarily I hope) losing my Spark a couple of week-ends ago, I've brought forward my plans to take the next seniority step in my Remote Pilot career, and get the Mavic. Also, hoping to find the Spark from above the trees where it crashed (to be fair I was also piloting a boat, towing a wakeboarder at the time) as we couldn't find it from below.

So I've taken delivery of my new Mavic, and easing into this world. I have to say, compared to the Spark there are already things I'm struggling with - like:
  • Needing a cable to connect the Remote to the iPad - why can't I just use WiFi (or am I misisng something)
  • Batteries charging serially.... ...I'm going to need more batteries. Although I'm guessing double the flight time means my 3 batteries will be enough for the 6 I need with the Spark
  • Length of time to fly. The Spark is "Connect, ensure GPS, and Go" the Mavic seems to be "Unfold, unclamp, Connect (or not), find a suitable landing spot, calibrate half a dozen things, ensure your colour correction is set, REMEMBER to focus, wait for the planets to align, take off and go" I know, I know, I'm exaggerating, and I'm new. So perhaps I'll get there. But it all seems very unwieldy at the moment
  • The size. Everyone on YouTube raves about how small the Mavic is. I'm struggling with how massive this thing is. All perspective I guess.
Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly not dissing the drone by any stretch of imagination. After all I just invested AU$2k in it. I'm just getting used to things.

If the Spark is anything to go by, I'll be hooked at take-off (no I haven't managed to take-off yet - more to do with flat batteries on arrival, and even more to do with bucketing rain).

So, time to spread my Mavic Wings. Happy to join the community.

Cheers
Rog

PS Pic below of 4 dive boats above a wreck in Truk Lagoon, Micronesia. Photo from 200m, Wreck some 30m below surface.DJI_0130.JPG

Reactions: dirkclod
Hey MavicPilots,

I've been a Spark Pilot since July 2017 with over 15 hours flight time, over almost 60 km (59,359m to be precise) and 137 flights in 5 countries.

So not exactly a n00b.

Since crashing (and temporarily I hope) losing my Spark a couple of week-ends ago, I've brought forward my plans to take the next seniority step in my Remote Pilot career, and get the Mavic. Also, hoping to find the Spark from above the trees where it crashed (to be fair I was also piloting a boat, towing a wakeboarder at the time) as we couldn't find it from below.

So I've taken delivery of my new Mavic, and easing into this world. I have to say, compared to the Spark there are already things I'm struggling with - like:
  • Needing a cable to connect the Remote to the iPad - why can't I just use WiFi (or am I misisng something)
  • Batteries charging serially.... ...I'm going to need more batteries. Although I'm guessing double the flight time means my 3 batteries will be enough for the 6 I need with the Spark
  • Length of time to fly. The Spark is "Connect, ensure GPS, and Go" the Mavic seems to be "Unfold, unclamp, Connect (or not), find a suitable landing spot, calibrate half a dozen things, ensure your colour correction is set, REMEMBER to focus, wait for the planets to align, take off and go" I know, I know, I'm exaggerating, and I'm new. So perhaps I'll get there. But it all seems very unwieldy at the moment
  • The size. Everyone on YouTube raves about how small the Mavic is. I'm struggling with how massive this thing is. All perspective I guess.
Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly not dissing the drone by any stretch of imagination. After all I just invested AU$2k in it. I'm just getting used to things.

If the Spark is anything to go by, I'll be hooked at take-off (no I haven't managed to take-off yet - more to do with flat batteries on arrival, and even more to do with bucketing rain).

So, time to spread my Mavic Wings. Happy to join the community.

Cheers
Rog

PS Pic below of 4 dive boats above a wreck in Truk Lagoon, Micronesia. Photo from 200m, Wreck some 30m below surface.View attachment 26096
Howdy from Wyoming Rog42, welcome to the community, plenty of fine folk and excellent information here.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .:)

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :)

Needing a cable to connect the Remote to the iPad - why can't I just use WiFi (or am I misisng something)
You can used just Wi-Fi if you'd like to fly with your mobile device (instead of the remote controller).

Length of time to fly. The Spark is "Connect, ensure GPS, and Go" the Mavic seems to be "Unfold, unclamp, Connect (or not), find a suitable landing spot, calibrate half a dozen things, ensure your colour correction is set, REMEMBER to focus, wait for the planets to align, take off and go"
Other than the unfolding step, the process for the Mavic should be identical to your Spark. Like your Spark, you shouldn't need to calibrate anything before taking off each time.

Thanks all for the friendly welcome.

So I managed to get the Mavic, named Hesus, because I intend to use it to raise my Spark from the dead (Spark going to be named Lazarus from here on), into the air yesterday for the first time. iPad Mini 2 is my display of choice, fully charged, 3 batteries and the remote fully charged, and rather than the backyard I walked to a local park for some acceleration room.

AAAAWWWWWWEEE-Sum!!! What a beautiful bird. Now that I have the iPad connected to the controller, yes I'll need to buy a shorter lightning connector, and have been through the pre-flights a couple of times, it's a lot easier to get into the air. Still not the instant start and fly of the Spark, but so capable. I keep forgetting things like gimbal locks and folding legs ;) but nothing substitutes for experience.

I am glad that I spent 5 months with the Spark. For one I pushed the max out of that bird, which is super capable in it's own right. Two, the Mavic has way more features, so unconscious competence with flying allows me to concentrate on all the new things I need/want to. I reckon in the boat and on the bike, I'll be resorting to the Spark more often than the Mavic. You're pretty task (cognitive) loaded piloting other vehicles simultaneously.

msinger said:
You can used just Wi-Fi if you'd like to fly with your mobile device (instead of the remote controller).
Yeah thanks I figured that out, but ever since an unfortunate wind event with a Parrot Bebop at the Grand Canyon, I really, really don't like flying from just a phone. Remote Controls are awesome!!

msinger said:
Other than the unfolding step, the process for the Mavic should be identical to your Spark. Like your Spark, you shouldn't need to calibrate anything before taking off each time.
Again, thanks! As I said I was exaggerating, and as it was a maiden flight I wanted to ensure everything (IMU, Compass, RC) was calibrated. Now it's "unclamp gymbal, unfold legs, connect, connect GPS, and go" Which as you say is not too unwieldy. It'll be interesting from a motorbike though.

LuvMyTJ said:
Is that a sunken ship in the pic?
Yup, that's the Rio De Janiero Maru, sunk along with 44 other ships in Truk Lagoon in February 1944 by the Allies in Operation Hailstorm. It sits in +30m (+100ft) of crystal clear, 32C (95F) water. Brilliant diving, and spectacular flying after the dive :-D

This week-end I'm hoping to execute "Operation Raise the Dead" and use Hesus (the Mavic Pro) to locate Lazarus (the Spark) in the trees next to the river I lost her in week-end before last. Will post photos/videos.

Glad to hear you're getting the hang of the Mavic, she's a great bird.
One of my many hobbies is SCUBA diving and Truk has been on my bucket list for some time.
Smiley-Scuba-25-1.png

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kueaue