DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MP fell out of sky

threed

Reactions
I just had my MP fall out of the sky. I took it up to about 400m (been up to 500 before no prob). And then it needed to rth but thought it was already 0.5m off the ground so it wouldn’t allow anymore vertical speed to bring it down. So I watched the battery drain and then it started to tumble down. Luckily it hit a tree and had a much softer landing than the pavement.
S/N: 08QDE3Q01202T6 (Mar 24 ‘17, maybe part of a defective batch???).
I’ll try to upload DAT file later.

Reactions: Blades
Did you try turning off landing protection and/or the downward sensors! Sorry to here about your crash!

Reactions: dewster
Did you try turning off landing protection and/or the downward sensors! Sorry to here about your crash!
Honestly, I was kind of in panic mode not really knowing what to try. No, I didn’t try either of those things.

Sorry about your Mavic, but maybe some advise in this thread will help you and others in the future.

So Experts: Is switching into Sport Mode the best thing to try first when something like this happens?

Is switching into Sport Mode the best thing to try first when something like this happens?
As @mlash noted above, it would be best to disable Landing Protection (or the downward sensors) mid-flight if DJI GO is showing a VPS altitude (see the screenshot below) when the Mavic is not near the ground and the Mavic is slowly ascending uncontrollably (or won't descend).

DJI-GO-VPS-Altitude.jpg

I just had my MP fall out of the sky. I took it up to about 400m (been up to 500 before no prob). And then it needed to rth but thought it was already 0.5m off the ground so it wouldn’t allow anymore vertical speed to bring it down. So I watched the battery drain and then it started to tumble down. Luckily it hit a tree and had a much softer landing than the pavement.
S/N: 08QDE3Q01202T6 (Mar 24 ‘17, maybe part of a defective batch???).
I’ll try to upload DAT file later.

Another case of taking off with not enough battery? When battery goes below 30% you need to be bringing it down period. When it goes below 20% they get crazy and hard to control.

I fly 400 feet all the time. Never had it do that but yeah should switch to sport and bring it down carefully cause it will be a lot faster than what you normally do. Test it Try it first the sport mode and learn what it does and how it acts after you get it repaired.Nope hadn't read anywhere a bad batch. DJI will always say operator error. Hope you have Care Refresh but if not it will cost.

Reactions: MrsTreat
As @mlash noted above, it would be best to disable Landing Protection (or the downward sensors) mid-flight if DJI GO is showing a VPS altitude (see the screenshot below) when the Mavic is not near the ground and the Mavic is slowly ascending uncontrollably (or won't descend).

View attachment 19718

Great advice! There's so much information displayed onscreen and on the remote. You have to quickly figure out what's necessary and what's not. I'll have to pay attention to VPS altitude when I fly. :) thank you!

Does anyone think that humidity, smoke, fog, clouds would affect VPS sensors?

Before I even bought the mavic I was readings these blogs, one of the things I learned quickly is not to trust RTH. There has only been a couple of situations where I used Return to Home because the screen went black but once I had visual line of sight I turned off RTH. I just recently changed my side switch from Sport Mode to ATTI as this kills all the sensors from what I understand so in a situation like this I can just flip the switch.

Before I even bought the mavic I was readings these blogs, one of the things I learned quickly is not to trust RTH. There has only been a couple of situations where I used Return to Home because the screen went black but once I had visual line of sight I turned off RTH. I just recently changed my side switch from Sport Mode to ATTI as this kills all the sensors from what I understand so in a situation like this I can just flip the switch.

You good then. Most buy these things without ever reading anything or any forums so we hear how they crash them and think its new bug.

Far as RTH I started with a P3S and every time I flew it out too far it would say RTH and always came back well so does the Mavic. I test it occasionally just to make sure it's working. Gotta love that precision where it will land within inches of where it took off. I usually take off and fly away from me till I know I'm in a good clear spot it can descend then set the homepoint where the drone is and my rth altitude is set way above anything else around me.

BTW You can just press the Pause button and it will stop and hover on a rth.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman