DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MP just 'blew' away yesterday.

I've found that the forward stick on my MP is quite variable depending on the signal strength. When there is anything like houses or stands of trees or even large distances between me an the drone, the stick full forward merely creeps even in the absence of wind. As soon as I clear the buildings or trees or creep closer, the exact same stick position is suddenly plenty fast. Mind you I have not tried using sport mode yet as it has not been a big problem for me.

I suspect that might be among the issues when trying to return against the wind. If you fly or get blown far enough downwind, you may be reducing the signal strength and if you drop altitude you may be compounding the loss of signal strength. The larger drones mentioned likely have more thrust than the Mavic as they are a good bit heavier. Just a thought.

I don't think I've ever noticed the quad crawl when flying over houses, dense trees etc. But that said, I would always recommend to keep air only between the control and flight antennas where possible. Penetration of microwave frequency signals at 2.4 or 5.8 GHz is not great and they are easily blocked by trees and buildings. They tend to travel in straight lines, not around corners or by reflection.

A good vantage point for the controller should be considered before flight. Specially where long distance is being considered.

Last edited:
This was beautifully written and couldn’t of been anymore spot on. Thank you.
You're welcome. I first soloed in 1972! Keep at this stuff long enough and you learn a few things. New to quads. Now I am learning from some of the guys here, much my junior. Glad to offer some of the knowledge I've acquired.

Do not re-calibrate the compass!!!
??? I know the manual says you only need to recalibrate if asked to do so by the app, however after a catastrophic crash with my mavic, a dji technician (at the dji repair house) told me that it's best to calibrate before every flight.

??? I know the manual says you only need to recalibrate if asked to do so by the app, however after a catastrophic crash with my mavic, a dji technician (at the dji repair house) told me that it's best to calibrate before every flight.
No mate, imagine you recalibrate and get a good calibration, then the next day you unnecessarily calibrate again and get a bad calibration, you would then have to recalibrate the bad calibration in hope of a good calibration.
I think you can see where this is going.
Ultimately you'll be continuously chasing your tail going round and around in never ending circles like a dog chasing it's tail.

Point being. If you get a good solid calibration then leave it there. That's the drones way of telling you its happy. Don't keep undoing a perfectly good calibration.

Ive read many times that sport mode can “sometimes” get you out of trouble. I know the switch is on the side of the controller, but can I simply switch it to sport mode or do I have to change something in my settings too?

Seems like in the heat of the moment (sudden problem) that having to navigate the menu\settings and not being able to keep your eye on the MP would not be good.

LOL,how far off the mark am I?
You will need to go into settings and enable Sport mode, but once you do that the switch on the controller is all you need.

Reactions: Bogey
Why would you not calibrate the compass? Especially if you are flying in a new location.
From the manual:
It is recommended to calibrate the compass in any of the following situations when flying outdoors:
1. Flying at a location farther than 10 km away from the last flight location.
2. The aircraft hasn’t been flown for more than one month.
3. A compass interference warning appears in the DJI GO 4 app, and the warning persists after changing location.

Once you have a good calibration, re-calibrating the compass before every flight is a bad idea. Leave well enough alone.

From the manual:

Once you have a good calibration, re-calibrating the compass before every flight is a bad idea. Leave well enough alone.
Then, shall I say.. just make sure it is calibrated? It will warn you if it's not and you shouldn't ignore the warning.

Nope...totally separate.
ef8dfe0c8d819aa68b24f5bfc710fcbc.jpg

Reactions: dbyantis
Right on! The Mavic is pretty fool proof if you just do a preflight check, recalibrate the compass, make sure your props are secure, don't fly in heavy wind or rain... etc. Unfortunately the drone is not No Common Sense proof.

Agree with everything except the recalibration of the compass. My experience has been get a good calibration and leave it the f alone. Unless you fly in a different magnetic environment.

Point being. If you get a good solid calibration then leave it there. That's the drones way of telling you its happy. Don't keep undoing a perfectly good calibration.

This would be my experience as well. Get a good calibration and leave it alone. I learned that lesson back with my P3. I introduced a bad calibration and it was jacked up. Good thing I was experienced enough to recognize the warning sign during my preflight.. I always launch and allow the bird to hover. I noticed a slight TBE.. Didn't think much of it. Flew about 30 feet away stick straight forward. Was a slight arch in the flight path. Pulled straight back it returned in the same arch. Done deal. Landed recalibrated same problem. Aborted the flights. Returned to field where I know I can calibrate without issue completed the calibration flew without a problem. Returned to the area I flew before left the calibration alone and flew without a problem.

My Mavic in 14 months has been calibrated 1 time and won't be calibrated again unless I fly in a drastically different magnetic atmosphere.

Reactions: mavic6611
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrose