DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MP just 'blew' away yesterday.

Ive read many times that sport mode can “sometimes” get you out of trouble. I know the switch is on the side of the controller, but can I simply switch it to sport mode or do I have to change something in my settings too?

Seems like in the heat of the moment (sudden problem) that having to navigate the menu\settings and not being able to keep your eye on the MP would not be good.

LOL,how far off the mark am I?
just flip the switch,doing so will take you out of special modes like follow me,active trac ect also

Reactions: Bogey
You've been flying a year and have only "heard" about RTH and sport mode?
Log here - DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com
No I didn't try RTH and I didn't try sport mode - I should have, I have read about both of them on here. Looking at the replay it had started to make forward progress but by that stage I was panicking, trying to get it down (I was concerned it might start ignoring my down command) and I was trying to work out a transit so I would know where to look for it as I have read of people not finding MP's where they think they have come down. When it came to it the map on the controller was perfect.

VPS altitude on logs goes to 0 after 9.8s - returns about 1:22. And yes it would have been pointing at the low sun although there were a few clouds - not sure exactly what the conditions were.

Reactions: BigDuke6ixx
The easy thing to do here is if your RC display does not display Sports Mode when you flick the switch then you are not in Sports Mode so very easy to check as soon as you take off and while hovering just check it.

The easy thing to do here is if your RC display does not display Sports Mode when you flick the switch then you are not in Sports Mode so very easy to check as soon as you take off and while hovering just check it.
simple tricks like these are usually the most helpful.

Reactions: Viper 1
I've flown mavic in extreme winds and am always impressed with its performance.

Obviously a lot of caution is needed to not allow the wind to exceed mavics "top speed" and not to go far away as mavic uses a lot of battery fighting the wind.

I would say mavic can handle 30-35 mph winds, which is a lot of wind!

kony, sorry I’m a newb and SLOW one at that, so can you clarify that toggle comment a bit for me?

Thanks!!
you really should learn all the function of the rc
theres a button on the right side of the rc that toggles the sport mode

I guess I got confused by the term “toggle” as I stated above, I’m familiar with the location of the sport mode switch, I just wasn’t sure if simply sliding the sport mode switch was the only step needed to engage it.

I had searched around yesterday and this morning and saw one YouTube that said you also needed to make a change in the settings

I guess I got confused by the term “toggle” as I stated above, I’m familiar with the location of the sport mode switch, I just wasn’t sure if simply sliding the sport mode switch was the only step needed to engage it.

I had searched around yesterday and this morning and saw one YouTube that said you also needed to make a change in the settings
well in the djigo4 setting,the enable multiple modes needs to be set,nothing other than that,from what ive read,sport mode can be a drone saver

And even if you forget, that you are in S mode, or the switch gets accidentally knocked, when you take off again, you will be in P mode, even though the switch says S.
You will need to toggle off and back on again to get into S. The tip is to look at your controller screen.

Reactions: Bogey and Viper 1
You probably had a false object detection caused by the sun. I strongly recommend that you disable the Obstacle Avoidance feature in the RTH settings. That Obstacle Avoidance causes more lost drones than anything. It frequently detects the sun as an object and will get stuck hovering in place until the battery runs out and will land in place.

As others have pointed out, sport mode will save you. It disables obstacle avoidance and gives you more horizontal speed to overcome wind.

Reactions: JamesA and Viper 1
You probably had a false object detection caused by the sun. I strongly recommend that you disable the Obstacle Avoidance feature in the RTH settings. That Obstacle Avoidance causes more lost drones than anything. It frequently detects the sun as an object and will get stuck hovering in place until the battery runs out and will land in place.

As others have pointed out, sport mode will save you. It disables obstacle avoidance and gives you more horizontal speed to overcome wind.
You also need to think ahead and make sure you have plenty of battery in reserve on windy day. The farther downwind you are the more reserve you might need. And if fly in an area where I can see from trees and flags in the vicinity that it appears wind speed is higher at altitude I usually run it straight up after launch to gauge the impact of the wind. As for my lesson learned, one thing is sure - I am going to spend some time practicing in sport mode until I can competently fly it.

I had a similar situation last year. I flew my MP during a snow storm. Once I turned around to return home, the mavic started drifting backward even though I had full throttle forward. When I looked at the weather report later, it reported wind gusts of up to 40 MPH. If the mavic top speed is 20mph that explains the drifting. Unfortunately I did not have multiple flight mode turned on, so flipping it into sports mode was not possible. I ended up lowering (typically you will experience lower wind speeds at lower altitudes) the altitude and maneuvering around trees and to return home.

Ive read many times that sport mode can “sometimes” get you out of trouble. I know the switch is on the side of the controller, but can I simply switch it to sport mode or do I have to change something in my settings too?

Seems like in the heat of the moment (sudden problem) that having to navigate the menu\settings and not being able to keep your eye on the MP would not be good.

LOL,how far off the mark am I?

Your sort of right, multiple flight modes needs to be enabled in the menu settings before the sport mode switch will work, however - this can be enabled before the flight. I personally don’t like to leave it on as I have in the past accidentally entered sport mode - I will now be leaving it on for windy days.

Reactions: Bogey
There can be double the wind speed even at an extra 100ft.
Like Anthony said, download UAV forecast. That will save you any future trouble. Having an Anemometer in your arsenal is always a good idea too.
I use the Hover app myself and I also have an anemometer, I just watched a YouTube video where the guy was testing how far he could fly and took it to just under 400 feet where he almost immediately started getting warnings about Gimble shake and wind and continued to fly even when he was getting low signal warnings to the point where it lost connection and returned to home but then he bitching about the strong winds at 393 feet pushing it sideways and I’m thinking now that it reconnected why aren’t you bringing it to a lower altitude

I've also had loss of control recently due to wind. Full throttle and it wouldn't move forward, kept drifting to one side. Thing that confused me was that when I pressed RTH, it moved in the direction I was trying to move it in.
I've also experienced a similar thing. I was flying off a rooftop in Seattle in higher than normal winds when the mavic starting drifting towards another building. After pressing RTH it headed in the opposite direction (away from me, and towards the building). I got it back with Sport mode after flying up another couple hundred feet to avoid any buildings and slowly fought the wind back to land.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oshgeo