DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MP2 Battery overheats and fell off the sky

vinmunoz

Reactions
It jumps on a lake. All I did was pressed the RTH button, watched her coming and all of a sudden, something popped off which i suspect the battery because it's big and boxy, then followed the drone.

I have all the data. Off course when the battery popped off, the data stops.

DJI said everything was good but there was no more data after it stops so they really cannot determine what happened next. So they're not replacing it. Yes I have Refresh.

The lake is a drinking reservoir. I talked to the district manager who manages the lake and told me we cannot jump in there. It means I cannot recover it. But I'm pretty sure there was no human error. The outside temperature was 84F(28.8C). I have more than enough battery.

The battery temp started at 100 then it went 103 then 107F in less than 4minutes.

Here's the last flight data for you to see.

and this the flight a couple of minutes before the last flight, it was successful.

I'm very frustrated with DJI. And even if they'll replace it. I'm not sure if i'm confident enough to fly again with DJI.

How will you reply DJI.
This is what they said:

"The record ended without any sign of abnormality, so we could not verify what happened afterward.
We truly appreciate your support for DJI. If you could not recover the product and consider to purchase another one, we can offer you a 30% off discount for Mavic 2 Pro without the charger and remote controller."

Thanks mates,

Vinz

Seems I have read some threads on making sure you make
sure the battery clicks when you install it.
Maybe it hadn’t and came out. Hate you lost it.
Welcome to the forum.

Seems I have read some threads on making sure you make
sure the battery clicks when you install it.
Maybe it hadn’t and came out. Hate you lost it.
Welcome to the forum.

I did that. I watched beginners guide youtube videos for 5 days even before i opened the package. One of the guy in the video emphasized we need to push and hear the click.

My suspect is when the battery started heating up, the thing that locks the battery in place may warped which causes the battery to popped off.

Thanks for the welcome.

One of my batteries didn't click properly in place. Also, it was quite easy to remove it from the aircraft without pushing the eject buttons.

My local store replaced the battery.

Reactions: vinmunoz
One of my batteries didn't click properly in place. Also, it was quite easy to remove it from the aircraft without pushing the eject buttons.

My local store replaced the battery.

that might be one of the reason. thanks for sharing.

There is zero evidence in the log of a battery overheating. 40-45 degrees C is perfectly normal, and expected for a LiPo battery. The batteries themselves will handle anything up to, and slightly beyond 65 degrees C. (Usually attained if you fly at the maximum safe ambient of 40 degrees C).

My guess is it wasn't locked in properly, or the locking tabs failed for some reason, likely during either the quick left hand sprint before the RTH, or when it tilted forward to come home.

There is zero evidence in the log of a battery overheating. 40-45 degrees C is perfectly normal, and expected for a LiPo battery. The batteries themselves will handle anything up to, and slightly beyond 65 degrees C. (Usually attained if you fly at the maximum safe ambient of 40 degrees C).

My guess is it wasn't locked in properly, or the locking tabs failed for some reason, likely during either the quick left hand sprint before the RTH, or when it tilted forward to come home.

i don't think it tilted forward before i never touch the joystick after i press the RTH. could be the locking tabs failure which is so hard for me to prove.

Reactions: Don't Wanna
It started moving home. For this to happen the aircraft has to tilt forward to build forward momentum.

Until you can recover the drone and inspect the tabs, the condition of the battery, the rigidity of the battery and body casings etc there's not much anyone can do but speculate.

Its not going to hurt the drinking water. This is a body of open water, birds crap in it, fish crap in it, people do the same. Algae grows.
Its treated after that stage.

Its not going to hurt the drinking water. This is a body of open water, birds crap in it, fish crap in it, people do the same. Algae grows.
Its treated after that stage.

another good point. thanks for your input.

If anything, I'd think they'd want the lithium ion battery out of there. I do worry about the battery fastening. Although they click in, it doesn't seem as sharp of a "click" sound as I used to get with my old MPP

If anything, I'd think they'd want the lithium ion battery out of there. I do worry about the battery fastening. Although they click in, it doesn't seem as sharp of a "click" sound as I used to get with my old MPP

Thanks for the idea. I will tell the lake manager about the battery. yes you could hardly hear the click.

I’ve had no problems so far, but the first thing I noticed with my M2P was the battery doesn’t click in with the same secure click as my original MP.

There is another thread on an event like this, It was over land, and the battery had ballooned up and popped off early in the flight. Maybe this is a new issue?

Reactions: Callum
There is another thread on an event like this, It was over land, and the battery had ballooned up and popped off early in the flight. Maybe this is a new issue?

believe it or not i really saw the battery popped off and the drone follows. I was watching her approaching.

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman