DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MP2 let me Down big time WTJ

MAGA

Reactions
Just off the road from a long drive to lake placid NY. 2 20 min flights good flying conditions. First flight great, second flight different location same camera settings only difference was the wind. Strong 20 mph one direction wind at ground level in a valley keen valley. Great GPS the camera was not focused or focusing like it should have the first 2 10 min clips where blurry the third 3 min clip at the end of my flight was in focus. Normally I can see in the screen if I have good focus but unfortunately I had 3 major distractions. One was a new never before seen warning and alarm that my drone was "now breaking return sticks to neutral" this happened at least 4 times during my flight , bright low sun didn't help and a family decided to walk up and start casting out fishing lines10 feet away from me. It was a little boy so I didn't complain but I had set that point as my return to home spot so I was constantly looking to my left to make sure I was not going to catch a fish hook in the upper lip. One other thing. I was expecting to get wind warnings and I did not get a single one. Cut the flight short landed ok but what happened?

Reactions: Bill combs
One was a new never before seen warning and alarm that my drone was "now breaking return sticks to neutral" this happened at least 4 times during my flight , bright low sun didn't help
what happened?
It sounds like you didn't concentrate on focusing properly.
Braking now etc is letting you know that obstacle avoidance is reacting to an obstacle - probably because the drone was looking straight at the bright, low sun.

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
Just off the road from a long drive to lake placid NY. 2 20 min flights good flying conditions. First flight great, second flight different location same camera settings only difference was the wind. Strong 20 mph one direction wind at ground level in a valley keen valley. Great GPS the camera was not focused or focusing like it should have the first 2 10 min clips where blurry the third 3 min clip at the end of my flight was in focus. Normally I can see in the screen if I have good focus but unfortunately I had 3 major distractions. One was a new never before seen warning and alarm that my drone was "now breaking return sticks to neutral" this happened at least 4 times during my flight , bright low sun didn't help and a family decided to walk up and start casting out fishing lines10 feet away from me. It was a little boy so I didn't complain but I had set that point as my return to home spot so I was constantly looking to my left to make sure I was not going to catch a fish hook in the upper lip. One other thing. I was expecting to get wind warnings and I did not get a single one. Cut the flight short landed ok but what happened?
sounds to me you might have set the drone to close to a car speaker or something magnetic?

i’ve carried my drones with me to different locations and had to recalibrate the imu for what ever reason.

There's nothing in the described incident that sounds like any compass or magnetic issue.
And no hint that any recalibration is required.
I've found when all else fails try recalibrating imu and compass,when you have braking warnings that is an indication your sensors need recalibrating,my point was sometimes in a hours long journey your drone my drone anyone's drone could have been exposed to strong magnetic fields and when you have one aspect of a drone not functioning properly sometimes it wouldn't hurt to recalibrate everything.just saying.

Last edited:
I've found when all else fails try recalibrating imu and compass,when you have braking warnings that is an indication your sensors need recalibrating,my point was sometimes in a hours long journey your drone my drone anyone's drone could have been exposed to strong magnetic fields and when you have one aspect of a drone not functioning properly sometimes it wouldn't hurt to recalibrate everything.just saying.
Braking in my experience could be the sensors needing calibration sometimes.

It's completely normal to get obstacle avoidance warnings when flying towards a low, bright sun.
There's no indication of anything at all unusual or anything functioning improperly in the incident as described.
And no reason at all to recalibrate anything

Last edited:
It's completely normal to get obstacle avoidance warnings when flying towards a low, bright sun.
There's no indication of anything at all unusual or anything functioning improperly in the incident as described.
Have a nice day

If me I would worry about the batteries
We’re they snapped in properly ....
I would definitely check for any cell deviation within those batteries
Before I used them....

I personally found the M2P
Not to be a perfect flying camera
Yet better then the MP1
In picture quality but at times has some quirks alway fly with care
And not to sweat the small thing

...cR

Reactions: Bill combs

Agreed, the message in the software could perhaps be worded a bit better as I was concerned when i first saw the message as well. Essentially all it's saying is to let go of the sticks because the Mavic is braking due to the avoidance sensors being triggered which can be caused by certain types of sunlight particularly a bright, low sun.

i just wanted to add i had a problem with my mpp having excessive braking issues and had to recalibrate the sensors and if my m2 p did the same thing i would recalibrate the sensors using the assistant 2 and it should take care of those issues

Reactions: Thomas B
Absolutely right....a low sun can cause false triggers of OA system

i just wanted to add i had a problem with my mpp having excessive braking issues and had to recalibrate the sensors and if my m2 p did the same thing i would recalibrate the sensors using the assistant 2 and it should take care of those issues
What, you mean if you calibrate the sensors the M2P would stop automatic braking due to obstacle avoidance detecting a low bright sun? No, no I don't think that it would. Switching off obstacle avoidance would have that effect but not calibrating the sensors.

Reactions: Flycaster
What, you mean if you calibrate the sensors the M2P would stop automatic braking due to obstacle avoidance detecting a low bright sun? No, no I don't think that it would. Switching off obstacle avoidance would have that effect but not calibrating the sensors.
A m2p will brake when the front sensors see the early sunrise,my advice is to calibrate if it becomes excessive.

A m2p will brake when the front sensors see the early sunrise,my advice is to calibrate if it becomes excessive.
If it becomes excessive, you are flying toward a low, bright sun too often.
The sensors will always detect a low, bright sun as an obstacle, no matter how much you recalibrate them.

Ive mapped one of the C buttons to disable the OA sensors as a toggle.
I fly a lot over beach and ocean - during sunrise or sunset, especially at low tide the reflections cause all sorts of false OA warnings that mess up video or moving. So i toggle it off on the C button for that then toggle back on when im done.

You can calibrate the OA sensors if you want (its a tricky, annoying process) but you're still going to get false alarms from glare and reflections.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78