DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Music choice

Oyibo VFX

Reactions
Hey

We're all movie makers here. And we all like to have the best score possible. Who did not want to use Steve Miller's "Fly like an eagle" for their first movie.
I always have been a fan of electronic music and have used quite a lot of music from Klaus Schulze to Surface 10 and everything in between.
But more and more I use the app Moodscaper and Pianoscaper and playing now with Borderlands.
It's nice, as long as you want and no hassle on YouTube or Vimeo with music licenses.
For your info, music from Mike Oldfield will be removed automatically by YouTube.

So... How do you choose (or make) your film score?

I don't monetize my videos so I use whatever I want.

I don't monetize my videos so I use whatever I want.
No, that is not correct. As said, Mike Oldfield (among others) asked YouTube not to use their music. Unless you have approval from the license holder. So... if you upload a video and add Tubular Bells, it will be automatically removed. Monetized or not

Reactions: beachcombing
And that is???

Creating a good video is like creating a good piece of art. I don't know if anyone can tell another person what makes it good and each person sees it differently. It's a combination of hundreds of things and can be any number of different things even then.

Reactions: Oyibo VFX
No, that is not correct. As said, Mike Oldfield (among others) asked YouTube not to use their music. Unless you have approval from the license holder. So... if you upload a video and add Tubular Bells, it will be automatically removed. Monetized or not
But not everyone asks YouTube to remove their music. I have three YouTube channels one for each of the hobbies I have and many of them have copyrighted music on them. I don't monetize any of the videos that I have they are just there for anyone to enjoy. I have only twice in the 12 years that I have had channels on YouTube, had them to remove a video due to copyright infringement. All of the rest of them it says that I do not have to remove them as long as I am not using them in any way for money, and I am not.

Now I have over the years done video work (not drone related) for money, but in all of those I used royalty free music from several different services.

But not everyone asks YouTube to remove their music. I have three YouTube channels one for each of the hobbies I have and many of them have copyrighted music on them. I don't monetize any of the videos that I have they are just there for anyone to enjoy. I have only twice in the 12 years that I have had channels on YouTube, had them to remove a video due to copyright infringement. All of the rest of them it says that I do not have to remove them as long as I am not using them in any way for money, and I am not.

Now I have over the years done video work (not drone related) for money, but in all of those I used royalty free music from several different services.

If you post a video using copywrited music _you_ are held responsible for that violation. It does not matter at all of you make money off the video. If someone were to file a copywrite complaint with YT, you'd get one strike against you. Three strikes and your account is locked.

YT has rights to thousands of songs so it they match the music in the video to one of those songs, they have an agreement with the copywrite holder so direct any revenue to them from your video. In that case, the video can stay (if they don't have a license for another country, the sound alone will be removed).

But again, using copywrited music _does_ make you in violation of the law even if you don't make money and it's just there for people to enjoy. It's the same as copying someone's book and handing it out for free for people to enjoy.

Reactions: Oyibo VFX
If you post a video using copywrited music _you_ are held responsible for that violation. It does not matter at all of you make money off the video. If someone were to file a copywrite complaint with YT, you'd get one strike against you. Three strikes and your account is locked.

YT has rights to thousands of songs so it they match the music in the video to one of those songs, they have an agreement with the copywrite holder so direct any revenue to them from your video. In that case, the video can stay (if they don't have a license for another country, the sound alone will be removed).

But again, using copywrited music _does_ make you in violation of the law even if you don't make money and it's just there for people to enjoy. It's the same as copying someone's book and handing it out for free for people to enjoy.
No it is perfectly legal. YouTube states it in their fine print and on any video where I have used it. It states this " Ads might appear on your video. Copyrighted content was found in your video. The claimant is allowing their content to be used in your YouTube video. However, ads might appear on it." Now if the copyright holder doesn't allow you to use it, then you can't and if you try they can put a srike against you. But as long as the copyright holder allows you to use it then you can. I don't have a single video up on any of my three channels that have copyrighted music on it tha the copyright holder has not allowed me to do that. Now that doesn't mean that sometime in the future the copyright holder couldn't decide that they no longer want YouTube to allow the use of its copyright music and then I would have to remove it, but for now it is perfectly legal. According to YouTube and the agreement they have with the copyright holders.

I think we all miss the point. It is correct. You can use licensed music on YT. But, ads may appear. That's why I use more my own music.
But again, some artists, like Mike Oldfield have no agreement with YT and therefore YT automatically removes his music from your video. But again, there are just a few. Most artists are ok and you can use it.

Reactions: 2nckayakers
No it is perfectly legal. YouTube states it in their fine print and on any video where I have used it. It states this " Ads might appear on your video. Copyrighted content was found in your video. The claimant is allowing their content to be used in your YouTube video. However, ads might appear on it."
As I mentioned, in that case YT has a license to allow the music. So it can be used (it's usually removed in countries where their license does not apply). This has nothing to do with you not monetizing it so it's okay to use. The two things does have anything to do with each other.

It's your responsibility to either make sure you have a legal right to use copywrited music or that YT has that right. In most cases YT will cover their own butts and their software will detect this and address your use on your behalf. But again, this has nothing to do with you not monetizing the video so it's okay to use copywrited material.

As I mentioned, in that case YT has a license to allow the music. So it can be used (it's usually removed in countries where their license does not apply). This has nothing to do with you not monetizing it so it's okay to use. The two things does have anything to do with each other.

It's your responsibility to either make sure you have a legal right to use copywrited music or that YT has that right. In most cases YT will cover their own butts and their software will detect this and address your use on your behalf. But again, this has nothing to do with you not monetizing the video so it's okay to use copywrited material.
AGAIN, I don't have anything on any of the three channels that I have that I do not have the rights to use, even though it is copyrighted material.

I make my own soundtracks. :)
13925210_1039566089492774_7009579193871562006_n.jpg

I make my own soundtracks. :)
13925210_1039566089492774_7009579193871562006_n.jpg

I'm not a musician, but I like Trance a lot, and see a lot of remixes on YouTube, is it something possible to do without serious musical background? Do I understand it correctly that remixing of somebody elses tracks is not subject to copyright? (it's like singing some song, or karaoke) What equipment is needed for remixes? How do they get the tracks for different instruments separately so they can manipulate them individually?

I'm not a musician, but I like Trance a lot, and see a lot of remixes on YouTube, is it something possible to do without serious musical background? Do I understand it correctly that remixing of somebody elses tracks is not subject to copyright? (it's like singing some song, or karaoke) What equipment is needed for remixes? How do they get the tracks for different instruments separately so they can manipulate them individually?

Yes you can make EDM music without much musical background - you just need a good ear for what sounds "right", of course it's all subjective. Your second question about using others music to make remixes: It depends, but generally it's a no-no unless you use royalty free loops or pay for them.

I'll get you started right now if you have an iOS device. Get this free App called Launchpad:
Novation Launchpad on the App Store
You'll be making your own music in seconds.

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
Yes you can make EDM music without much musical background - you just need a good ear for what sounds "right", of course it's all subjective. Your second question about using others music to make remixes: It depends, but generally it's a no-no unless you use royalty free loops or pay for them.

I'll get you started right now if you have an iOS device. Get this free App called Launchpad:
Novation Launchpad on the App Store
You'll be making your own music in seconds.

Thank you, I'll check it out. Maybe, the next Armin Van Buuren is sleeping inside me. :D

Reactions: FlyGuy8675309

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada