DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My 1st flight today

Kernow666

Reactions
so after receiving my new drone yesterday i was eager to get out with it , yesterday was very windy and the UAV app said not to fly so i attached the rota guards and had a go at indoor flying to familiarize myself with the controls.

Todays weather was much better 8-10mph winds so i headed to the spot i had planned to use and to my slight annoyance a few dog walkers and people sitting around so i decided against it , luckily my plan B place was empty so i sat down in the middle of the field and got going , i was a little scared as it was my 1st outdoor flight so i kept it simple , i reached the dizzy height of 50m and got used to the controls a bit more , didn't really do a lot of flying like that as still a bit vary of it whilst i am new to the game.

one thing i forgot to bring with me was a landing pad but will know for next time am sure i can make something to tide me over.

have attached a couple photos as well , am sure i will get better with practice

thank you for reading

Attachments

• DJI_0011.JPG
    DJI_0011.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 141
  • DJI_0013.JPG
    DJI_0013.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 137
so after receiving my new drone yesterday i was eager to get out with it , yesterday was very windy and the UAV app said not to fly so i attached the rota guards and had a go at indoor flying to familiarize myself with the controls.

Todays weather was much better 8-10mph winds so i headed to the spot i had planned to use and to my slight annoyance a few dog walkers and people sitting around so i decided against it , luckily my plan B place was empty so i sat down in the middle of the field and got going , i was a little scared as it was my 1st outdoor flight so i kept it simple , i reached the dizzy height of 50m and got used to the controls a bit more , didn't really do a lot of flying like that as still a bit vary of it whilst i am new to the game.

one thing i forgot to bring with me was a landing pad but will know for next time am sure i can make something to tide me over.

have attached a couple photos as well , am sure i will get better with practice

thank you for reading
Darn, I was hoping to see more Shakespearean cottages! (g)

Welcome to the club. Keeping it simple at the beginning is a good idea. OPEN space is a terrific way to learn with reduced jeopardy. Have fun

Hi and Welcome to the Club!
...one thing i forgot to bring with me was a landing pad but will know for next time am sure i can make something to tide me over....
Your car floor mat makes a nice landing pad. Later, when you are very comfortable flying, you can learn to hand launch and land like the cool kids.

I also did my first flight today. It was so much fun. Took it to 500 meters which I did not realise was so far away. Only blip was on landing RTH I brought it down in the field I was in and did cut some grass. It was short luckily. Next time will see if I can land it on the drone case. What do most people use to land their drones on. Is landing on short grass bad for the drone. org_03c45ca6db918f28_1589306568000.jpg

wow 500m that’s great , I was so hesitant doing 50m straight up
Am going to go again tomorrow will hopefully be a bit braver
Great photo ??

Reactions: Hauptmann
I also did my first flight today. It was so much fun. Took it to 500 meters which I did not realise was so far away. Only blip was on landing RTH I brought it down in the field I was in and did cut some grass. It was short luckily. Next time will see if I can land it on the drone case. What do most people use to land their drones on. Is landing on short grass bad for the drone. View attachment 101137

nice shot bud- took me 3 flights to get above 15mH/100mD as all the horror stories made me paranoid ! Never had an issue but kept increasing slowly and was up 101mH/700mD on a golf course at the weekend... Wind & WiFi interference is my enemy!

Safe buzzing ;)

Personally I think landing on any surface with loose material is a risk. I hand catch nearly every flight.

+1 for this- even in short grass, the mini is so low it may still catch!

Although practice hand catching and remember to KEEP A FLAT PALM as I found out the hard way- **** those props hurt errant fingers ;)

Congratulations and welcome to the forum. I have 121 miles on my MM without incident and it’s a blast. Best wishes!

Reactions: Andrew1977
Like others, I use my hand to launch and recover, but not the palm...two fingers and thumb work very well! :)

Of course it's always going to be a personal preference thing, but having tried both flat palm and finger & thumb catching, I think the flat palm is the better for me. That way the sensors detect it has landed and cut the motor, whereas with the finger & thumb I have to invert the AC to get it to shut off.

My view is that once you start hand launching & landing you'll never go back to using the ground, even with a landing mat.

In well over 50 hand launches & landings, I've only caught myself with the props once... something in my peripheral vision made me look away at the crucial second and I paid the penalty. No harm done to either the prop or my thumb, but it did smart a little!

Reactions: Hauptmann
... I think the flat palm is the better for me. That way the sensors detect it has landed and cut the motor, whereas with the finger & thumb I have to invert the AC to get it to shut off...
If you hold the stick down the motors will turn off after about 3 seconds of no detected downward movement.

Reactions: djharrisx
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Usiron