DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My experience with the new WayPoint add on. I love it.

Don Testme

Reactions
EDIT: I ERASED MY INITIAL POST:
Disregard it. Here is my new post.
I've played with the functions a few more times. Almost all the way point info can be controlled to your liking and needs. Almost all functions can be set to manual, so when your drone is following the path you can adjust the height, gimbal angle, speed, recording, stopping and hovering and all kinds of other functions. Sorry about my initial poorly educated opinion.

There are probably even more functions that I haven't found yet. THIS WAY POINT SYSTEM GIVES YOU A LOT OF CONTROL OVER ALMOST ALL THE ASPECTS OF THE DRONE'S FLIGHT DURING IT'S MISSION.

Last edited:
Why would it fly to 164ft? I would expect it would fly to whatever height you had set on the original flight to set the waypoints. I'm missing something here....

Why would it fly to 164ft? I would expect it would fly to whatever height you had set on the original flight to set the waypoints. I'm missing something here....
I don't know. I'll fiddle with the settings a bit. But,yeah, I agree. Why 164ft? I'll check the settings. If I don't post anything to the contrary, 164ft is what DJI locked it to. Seems strange, but i'll check to see if it can be changed.

I don't know. I'll fiddle with the settings a bit. But,yeah, I agree. Why 164ft? I'll check the settings. If I don't post anything to the contrary, 164ft is what DJI locked it to. Seems strange, but i'll check to see if it can be changed.
I FOUND IT ! EACH WAY POINT CAN BE ASSIGNED A DIFFERENT ALTITUDE. WHEN YOU CREATE A WAY POINT, THERE IS A SLIDER BAR BELOW. You can adjust the altitude of each way point with the slider bar that appears after you create a waypoint.

Reactions: twickers14
there is actually a lot more controls than I thought. I just have tp play with it more and read some support articles

I made a mistake. You can enter any altitude you want for the way points. Thus if you need to keep a good signal you can fly up to the USA 368 ft limit. I was wrong about the altitude being limited. I'm still learning.
400 feet

164 feet is DJI's default waypoint altitude. As is 5.69 mph, or something like that, and 0 gimbal tilt.
I've been doing a lot of waypoint missions. The editor could be improved. One thing would be the ability to select multiple waypoints to change. Also, built in perfect circle would be nice. Also, the ability to insert new waypoints between two existing waypoints.
One thing you currently can't do, is go into explorer mode, and goto 7x zoom. You can leave explorer mode, but can't enter it during the mission.

164 feet is DJI's default waypoint altitude. As is 5.69 mph, or something like that, and 0 gimbal tilt.
I've been doing a lot of waypoint missions. The editor could be improved. One thing would be the ability to select multiple waypoints to change. Also, built in perfect circle would be nice. Also, the ability to insert new waypoints between two existing waypoints.
One thing you currently can't do, is go into explorer mode, and goto 7x zoom. You can leave explorer mode, but can't enter it during the mission.
For explorer mode; what if you paused the mission. Then put explorer mode on if possible, then resume the mission. Would that work?

Here are some other things the way point system can do:

When it's flying along its path, you can set it to manual and turn the drone in any direction you want while it's flying along the waypoint path. Settung the gimbal o manual and having the drone being able to rotate in any direction and having the explorer mode all working live and manually , you can point the drone at anything below.

I was also able to use full zoom functionality up 28x when set to manual. Explorer mode is fully functional when you set parameters correctly.

Altitude can't be changed on the fly though. It can only be changed by assigning altitude for each specific way point.

The gimbal can be set to be fully controlled when flying in real time.

That's it for now.

For explorer mode; what if you paused the mission. Then put explorer mode on if possible, then resume the mission. Would that work?
I would have to try that. Yes if you're in manual zoom or direction or gimbal tilt you can do that. But I don't think there's a manual for video mode. You can go out of explorer mode, but not into it I think. Another thing is, the waypoint missions fly a lot smoother than you can fly by hand.

Yes you can zoom to anything, but not automatically, only manually.

Screenshot 2023-02-02 052903.jpg
List of Mavic 3 Waypoints tutorials I've viewed.
Probably best to view some of them to save time "experimenting".

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998