DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My first crash!:(

TexasRancher

Reactions
Okay (I start off with 'okay a lot, sorry.. heh)... it was not really a "crash", it WAS.. but small and almost too small to count heh..

I was playing with my son, showing him something and trying out the modes and I got close to the tree he was near and it was getting dark, low light, disoriented and it was about 4 ft off the ground. I did not see the limbs extended that far. It caught a limb and just lost lift with a prop down so went to the ground.

No scratches, nothing big.. however....(you knew that was coming)..

I was flying it right afterwards and got an error message at like 150 ft up "Obstacle avoided, revise flight plan" but.. there were no obstacles at 164 ft in the air heh.

I also think there was an error message of "motor obstructed" but that was only once and I landed it and will look and see if a piece of grass or something went into a motor when I get home.

Lastly, I just noticed when looking at the logs that it recorded somehow setting the max altitude to 500m...I have always left the max set to 400ft to be safe, so gotta see if I accidentally hit some button heh.,

Anyway, the only "cool" part is knowing that I had insurance.. lol

Is there a good way to, or is it even possible, check the engines for particles etc? Might add that to my pre-flight list.

Oh.. a god "pre-flight list" like we used to have when we were flying a real plane would be nice.. anyone have one?

Thanks all! :) and gooooooood morning dronies!

Russ

Okay (I start off with 'okay a lot, sorry.. heh)... it was not really a "crash", it WAS.. but small and almost too small to count heh..

I was playing with my son, showing him something and trying out the modes and I got close to the tree he was near and it was getting dark, low light, disoriented and it was about 4 ft off the ground. I did not see the limbs extended that far. It caught a limb and just lost lift with a prop down so went to the ground.

No scratches, nothing big.. however....(you knew that was coming)..

I was flying it right afterwards and got an error message at like 150 ft up "Obstacle avoided, revise flight plan" but.. there were no obstacles at 164 ft in the air heh.

I also think there was an error message of "motor obstructed" but that was only once and I landed it and will look and see if a piece of grass or something went into a motor when I get home.

Lastly, I just noticed when looking at the logs that it recorded somehow setting the max altitude to 500m...I have always left the max set to 400ft to be safe, so gotta see if I accidentally hit some button heh.,

Anyway, the only "cool" part is knowing that I had insurance.. lol

Is there a good way to, or is it even possible, check the engines for particles etc? Might add that to my pre-flight list.

Oh.. a god "pre-flight list" like we used to have when we were flying a real plane would be nice.. anyone have one?

Thanks all! :) and gooooooood morning dronies!

Russ
Sorry to hear of your crash TexasRancher, hope you get it mended.

Lol.. it is all good. No fuss, just going to make sure it is cleaned up in case I missed a leaf or something in the rotors, but, we flew it a little afterwards and all went well, except that one error.

I am sure a nice examination under brighter light will make sure nothing was missed ;)

R

Is there a good way to, or is it even possible, check the engines for particles etc?

Russ
Compressed air for tiny debris in motors. And make sure they cog evenly. Cogging is the individual motor "Detent" as you turn it slowly. All four motors should be identical in their actions as you turn or spin them. A side note, replace and discard any props that sustained any type of damage. My thought here is props are cheap compared to a Mavic that crashes because a stressed prop failed in flight. And oem dji only on props. Safe rather than sorry.

Mike

Reactions: TexasRancher
Great info, thanks!

I looked at the props and not even a scratch...could not tell. It really was moving from stand still to like 1 ft away and under 3 ft off the ground. Landed upright and on a pile of leaves, so was the best way to learn a lesson heh.

I actually have like 6 or 8 sets or replacement props.. wait...total, 12 or so since there are multiples everywhere. The guy that sold it to me had a ton of replacements :p

Thanks for the info!

Russ

I had issues after my first crash - my mavic gave false errors and flew oddly-because the mavic needed me to re calibrate the compass and IMU. Try to re calibrate everything after a crash and you should be good if there are no other issues with the craft.

Last edited:
Reactions: TexasRancher

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kon_boz