DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My first run in with the law over my drone :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only Part 107 pilots can request "Further Coordination" to fly higher than the published facility map altitude. Since the published altitude for that square near the stadium is 0, there's no path for recreational pilots to fly there at all.

Direct from the FAA:

"4. Obtain authorization before flying in controlled airspace (Class B, C, D, and E). You can obtain authorization in three ways:
  1. LAANC
  2. DroneZone
  3. A written agreement with the FAA for fixed flying sites. For more information about fixed flying sites, contact us at [email protected].
NOTE: Flying drones in certain airspace is not allowed. Classes of airspace and flying restrictions can be found on our B4UFLY app."

The "0" is for LAANC automatic authorizations only. You can still submit a DroneZone request for authorization as a recreational flyer.

I have no idea if it'll be approved at that location, but one can certainly submit it.

Yes, I'm aware of that.

I'm also aware that the "0" in B4UFly and AirMap doesn't mean you *can't* fly there. It means you cannot apply for automated LAANC approval. You need to file with DroneZone to get authorization - which may or may not be granted, depending.
I just got one in a 0 square - but only to 100 ft. using drone zone.

1595440569772.png

Reactions: iaincaradoc
Yes, I'm aware of that.

I'm also aware that the "0" in B4UFly and AirMap doesn't mean you *can't* fly there. It means you cannot apply for automated LAANC approval. You need to file with DroneZone to get authorization - which may or may not be granted, depending.
I'm no lawyer, only a part time SCOTUS. Kidding aside, I interpret drone zone for areas where LAANC is not available. If LAANC is available and says zero sounds like the end of the ride..see below

WASHINGTON – Upgrades to the Federal Aviation Administration’s (FAA) DroneZone now

allows recreational flyers to request airspace authorizations in controlled airspace where the Low Altitude Authorization and Notification Capability (LAANC) is not available.

Airspace authorizations can take up to 45 days to process and approve through the DroneZone.

Recreational flyers may request to fly up to the designated altitude ceiling in an Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Facility Map (UASFM) and only for daytime operations.

LAANC is a collaboration between the FAA and industry that directly supports the safe integration of Unmanned Aircraft Systems into the nation's airspace, expediting the time it takes for drone pilots to receive authorizations to fly under 400 feet in controlled airspace

The supervisor is partially right, no fly zones do exist over and around any sport venue, for airplanes, blimps and helicopters. I live near a AFB, and restrict my flying at home to no more then 20m. Anything else, I go out somewhere open and clear so I can practice flying by looking at the screen instead of the drone.

TFRs exist over major sports venues when they are in use. So no - at that time he was not partially right, he was completely wrong.

Direct from the FAA:

"4. Obtain authorization before flying in controlled airspace (Class B, C, D, and E). You can obtain authorization in three ways:
  1. LAANC
  2. DroneZone
  3. A written agreement with the FAA for fixed flying sites. For more information about fixed flying sites, contact us at [email protected].
NOTE: Flying drones in certain airspace is not allowed. Classes of airspace and flying restrictions can be found on our B4UFLY app."

The "0" is for LAANC automatic authorizations only. You can still submit a DroneZone request for authorization as a recreational flyer.

I have no idea if it'll be approved at that location, but one can certainly submit it.

It won't be approved according to the current FAA guidance for processing such requests. (issued only 6 days ago)

Quote from Page 5:
Chapter 2. Processing of Section 44809 Authorization Requests
b. When requested area is in a 0 ft. grid square, issue a denial letter with the statement “Operations at altitudes above the UAS Facility Map (UASFM) are currently not authorized under Section 44809, Exception for Limited Recreational Operations of Unmanned Aircraft.”

Last edited:
Reactions: dawgpilot
Right hook lol. Sorry to hear that bro, what has happened to our world

So how do I know about local ordinances? They're not published are they? If I go to the boat launch In Tarentum, Pennsylvania parking lot can I fly? I don't know who owns the lot. It is gov owned but don't know which one. What about the parks a long the river here? Again I don't know if they're marked for ownership. I know about flying over people so you don't have to answer that one. What about the river although I'm not ready to risk losing my air2 yet but, if I did am I legal?

So how do I know about local ordinances? They're not published are they? If I go to the boat launch In Tarentum, Pennsylvania parking lot can I fly? I don't know who owns the lot. It is gov owned but don't know which one. What about the parks a long the river here? Again I don't know if they're marked for ownership. I know about flying over people so you don't have to answer that one. What about the river although I'm not ready to risk losing my air2 yet but, if I did am I legal?
Most towns/counties have online tax information on property owners. It normally can be found doing a google search for the tax department then clicking on the map or property card info.

Do you guys have a basic FAA pilots theory test in the USA ??, like in the UK ??? It covers this terminology and NFZ’s etc? Is that what Part 107 is?

Last edited:
Do you guys have a basic FAA pilots theory test in the USA ??, like in the UK ??? It covers this terminology and NFZ’s etc? Is that what Part 107 is?

Part 107 is for commercial pilots. There's supposed to be a "knowledge test" for recreational flyers at some point.

Reactions: Skyfall-0D2
A no-fly zone, or no-flight zone (NFZ), air exclusion zone (AEZ),[1] is a territory or area established by a military power over which certain aircraft are not permitted to fly.

Reactions: Skyfall-0D2
A no-fly zone, or no-flight zone (NFZ), air exclusion zone (AEZ),[1] is a territory or area established by a military power over which certain aircraft are not permitted to fly.

Right - but that's going to confuse some readers who will infer that it refers to the US NAS.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Right - but that's going to confuse some readers who will infer that it refers to the US NAS.
Well that’s just the definition of a no-fly zone.
I don’t know of any no-fly zones in the United States.
Perhaps it would Behoove us to use the correct terminology

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hippysmavic