DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My first run in with the law over my drone :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I got in a little trouble flying my drone today :( I was interested in taking some shots of the sports stadiums in Philly and I did until a man from the stadium came out telling me to “bring it down.” I obliged and he asked for my ID and took a picture of my license plate (I think he thought I was going to get in the car and drive off). I gave him my ID and asked him was I not allowed to fly here. He said that it was a no fly zone and I told him that on my app it tells me if I can’t fly and I didn’t know. I shut my drone down and apologized for flying. After a while I think he realized that i was literally just a person with a drone and not a spy for an opposing team and he started to lighten up. He told me the police were coming and a report would be made. After waiting 40 minutes, the police finally came. I simply told them I was flying my drone and didn’t know I couldn’t fly it and the cop said that it was just a warning and made a report. The supervisor from the stadium told me that he has to report it to his “higher ups” but he is unsure what happens after that.

Does anybody know anything about what may happen? Also, the DJI app didn’t give me any indication that it was a no fly zone so what can I do differently next time? Also, is there anything I can do if a situation like this occurs again?
Dont ever give your id or info to anyone that just pulls up on you like that. Tell them that you will land the drone and talk to them after you land it. Tell them that you can't speak to them until the drone is on the ground. (due to safety rules and regulations) Land it and start packing it up as you buy yourself some time to pack up. Then get load up get in your car and leave. You have no obligation to give them any info especially if you are not on their property. Tell them to get your license plate info and tell them to call the cops if they need to. No cop is going to take the time to run your plates and drive to your house. The only reason the cops showed up for you is because the cops are in the pocket of the team owners and stadium.

• Wow
Reactions: SXViper03
Dont ever give your id or info to anyone that just pulls up on you like that. Tell them that you will land the drone and talk to them after you land it. Tell them that you can't speak to them until the drone is on the ground. (due to safety rules and regulations) Land it and start packing it up as you buy yourself some time to pack up. Then get load up get in your car and leave. You have no obligation to give them any info especially if you are not on their property. Tell them to get your license plate info and tell them to call the cops if they need to. No cop is going to take the time to run your plates and drive to your house. The only reason the cops showed up for you is because the cops are in the pocket of the team owners and stadium.

Horrible advice!! Absolutely horrible and then the "in the pocket of the team owners".... ??How does that help out industry at all?

The OP handled this with high moral character and it was a genuine learning event for many (some refuse to learn....).

Did you not get your pilots certificate or 107? Have you not taken any courses before flying?

Why would she? She's flying a consumer-grade drone that doesn't even require registration before flying.

Which, of course, has nothing whatsoever to do with the need to get FAA approvals in controlled airspace... but there you have it.

Did you not get your pilots certificate or 107? Have you not taken any courses before flying?

She's a new UAS operator and flying strictly for Hobby/Recreational purposes so Pat 107 doesn't come into play.

Reactions: PrettyGirlFlys
And you’re guessing completely wrong about Philly having no clear airspace. Dude check some resources before ‘guessing’ when you don’t have a clue.
Well, I stand corrected in regard to flying a drone in Philly. Apparently, there are five specific places where drones can be flown without requesting clearance and without asking permission.
However, none of the five include the stadium so my original point stands. You can't send a flying camera over private property without permission.

Also incorrect. Owning the property doesn’t mean owning the airspace over it. If you’re flying safely and not invading privacy, you absolutely can fly over private property. Standing ON said property is a different story.

It looks like @RobFJ is north of the border so maybe the Canadian laws about flying over with a camera are different ?

Reactions: Order66
It looks like @RobFJ is north of the border so maybe the Canadian laws about flying over with a camera are different ?

When I was perusing the CAR for Canadian rules, I found nothing whatsoever that prohibited overflight of private property with a drone, camera-carrying or otherwise.

The only thing I *did* find was a prohibition for "basic" operators from flying within 30m of people - effectively, one can't fly within a hundred feet of any random person out there without "advanced" operational certifications.

Well, I stand corrected in regard to flying a drone in Philly. Apparently, there are five specific places where drones can be flown without requesting clearance and without asking permission.
However, none of the five include the stadium so my original point stands. You can't send a flying camera over private property without permission.
My original question still stands too....

Where do you fly?

This discussion is going nowhere if you continue to assert, incorrectly, that you cannot fly over private property without permission, and continue to ignore everyone who points out that you are wrong. Perhaps you would care to cite the law that you think says you cannot do that?

Again, another thread where it's just "beating a dead horse"

Reactions: itsneedtokno
Agree guys this is going no where it hasn’t been and no need in
continuing to beat this horse. Soooo let’s just bury him.

CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juanfraf