DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My first run in with the law over my drone :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's completely legal to fly around the stadium complex in Philly as long as you stay clear of the Class B just to the south. Their security people have gone full nazi with drones, and they're claiming the airspace as their own. The only time you can't fly around the stadiums is when there's an event, in which case a TFR is issued for 1 hour before and after the event itself, not to mention the whole flying over people part. There is one over the area right now, as a matter of fact, for the Phillies game. Per FAA: "FDC 0/0367 (Search Sporting Events) issued under 14 CFR 99.7 on "Special Security Instructions," restricts flight over stadiums during major league baseball, National Football League, NCAA, and motor speedway events. The so-called “stadium TFR” prohibits all aircraft and parachute operations at or below 3,000 AGL within a 3 nm radius of any stadium with a seating capacity of 30,000 or more people when there is a major league baseball game, NFL game, NCAA division one football game, or major motor speedway event occurring. This TFR applies to the entire US domestic national airspace system, and takes effect from one hour before the scheduled event time until one hour after the event concludes.

I've spoken to PHL Watch/Tower and even they say the guys up there are overstepping their authority. Now, originating or ending the flight from their property is a different thing. But yeah, generally the complex people are not correct as long as you're clear of the Class B and not flying from their property.

It’s restricted for 3 nautical miles one hour before and one hour after a game or any other event, not when the stadium is empty

It's completely legal to fly around the stadium complex in Philly as long as you stay clear of the Class B just to the south. Their security people have gone full nazi with drones, and they're claiming the airspace as their own. The only time you can't fly around the stadiums is when there's an event, in which case a TFR is issued for 1 hour before and after the event itself, not to mention the whole flying over people part. There is one over the area right now, as a matter of fact, for the Phillies game. Per FAA: "FDC 0/0367 (Search Sporting Events) issued under 14 CFR 99.7 on "Special Security Instructions," restricts flight over stadiums during major league baseball, National Football League, NCAA, and motor speedway events. The so-called “stadium TFR” prohibits all aircraft and parachute operations at or below 3,000 AGL within a 3 nm radius of any stadium with a seating capacity of 30,000 or more people when there is a major league baseball game, NFL game, NCAA division one football game, or major motor speedway event occurring. This TFR applies to the entire US domestic national airspace system, and takes effect from one hour before the scheduled event time until one hour after the event concludes.

I've spoken to PHL Watch/Tower and even they say the guys up there are overstepping their authority. Now, originating or ending the flight from their property is a different thing. But yeah, generally the complex people are not correct as long as you're clear of the Class B and not flying from their property.

You cannot stay clear of the surface Class B - the stadiums are inside it.

AirMap has it listed as 0' AGL allowed.

I'm assuming it's the Naval base nearby.

I don't know for certain though

I understand what you're saying. But I also know what I've been allowed to do there via authorization. If you click on the sector you can see that LAANC is operational there. Again, we're getting away from the topic. Stadium security guards don't have the authority to enforce FAA airspace. They freaked out on me and called the police when I flew there holding both voice and automated authorizations claiming they owned the airspace over the complex, and didn't care when I showed them what I had and even offered them PHL Tower's phone number to verify. THAT'S the issue here. The police sided with me but asked me to clear out to keep the peace; at that point I knew nothing was going to change, so I packed it in.

Screen Shot 2020-07-25 at 4.43.56 PM.png

Reactions: itsneedtokno
That's not correct. Both surface Class B and Class D airspace are DJI warning zones. They require FAA authorization or waiver to fly legally, but do not require any unlocking with DJI to take off. If you cannot take off in your area then it is not because of the Class D airspace. It could be a DJI zero altitude zone, or something else.

View attachment 108870
I should have been more specific. I am in a 0' ceiling area of my local Class D airspace, and I'm pretty sure that's why I can't take off without a DJI unlock license, which required a COA to obtain.

If the heliport is licensed then you probably can't fly next door?

Where I come from you can't fly over sports events or private property so o fly here.

I understand what you're saying. But I also know what I've been allowed to do there via authorization. If you click on the sector you can see that LAANC is operational there. Again, we're getting away from the topic. Stadium security guards don't have the authority to enforce FAA airspace. They freaked out on me and called the police when I flew there holding both voice and automated authorizations claiming they owned the airspace over the complex, and didn't care when I showed them what I had and even offered them PHL Tower's phone number to verify. THAT'S the issue here. The police sided with me but asked me to clear out to keep the peace; at that point I knew nothing was going to change, so I packed it in.

View attachment 108875
Absolutely. Security guards do not work for the FAA, neither do the police.

Best to make nice though

AirMap has it listed as 0' AGL allowed.

I'm assuming it's the Naval base nearby.

I don't know for certain though

I don't understand the confusion here. It's Philadelphia surface Class B. It's protecting KPHL and has nothing at all to do with any naval bases. Right now there is a TFR in place for Citizens Bank Park.

IMG_BD57C55A5B04-1.jpeg

Reactions: itsneedtokno
I should have been more specific. I am in a 0' ceiling area of my local Class D airspace, and I'm pretty sure that's why I can't take off without a DJI unlock license, which required a COA to obtain.

The DJI geo system knows nothing about the LAANC grid. It will let you fly in Class D unless you are in a DJI zero altitude zone on one of the runway extensions, or right at the airport in its restricted zone. Here is how the DJI geo system sees KSAF, for example. The extent of the Class D is just a warning zone (yellow), with an enhanced warning zone (orange) closer in, then a self-authorizing authorization zone (blue), and then the red airport restricted zones on the runways. Extending out further along the runway centerlines are the grey altitude zones.

1595719620800.png

A factor for stadiums is they can issue TFR (temporary flight restrictions) for many events. Not just public games. Always check TFR and Notam info. Apps like B4UFly/Kittyhawk or Airmap show them to you - but for sensitive areas it my do you "one better" to check the tfr.faa.gov web site.

Do let us know how this sorts out. Best of luck to you.

Reactions: Order66
So I got in a little trouble flying my drone today :( I was interested in taking some shots of the sports stadiums in Philly and I did until a man from the stadium came out telling me to “bring it down.” I obliged and he asked for my ID and took a picture of my license plate (I think he thought I was going to get in the car and drive off). I gave him my ID and asked him was I not allowed to fly here. He said that it was a no fly zone and I told him that on my app it tells me if I can’t fly and I didn’t know. I shut my drone down and apologized for flying. After a while I think he realized that i was literally just a person with a drone and not a spy for an opposing team and he started to lighten up. He told me the police were coming and a report would be made. After waiting 40 minutes, the police finally came. I simply told them I was flying my drone and didn’t know I couldn’t fly it and the cop said that it was just a warning and made a report. The supervisor from the stadium told me that he has to report it to his “higher ups” but he is unsure what happens after that.

Does anybody know anything about what may happen? Also, the DJI app didn’t give me any indication that it was a no fly zone so what can I do differently next time? Also, is there anything I can do if a situation like this occurs again?
You should of tried to fly from further away so they couldn't of found you so easily.

Unless the stadium man was an LEO I can’t understand why you didn‘t just land your drone and go. Why did you give him your ID? Why did you explain what you were doing? Why did you wait 40 minutes for the police? Surely this guy had no authority over you? In the UK sports stadia are usually no-fly zones at the behest of the sports broadcasters who don’t want people to see sport for free. But it’s not the job of the stadia staff to enforce the NFZ
He took a picture of my license plate as well so he had a way of knowing who I was.

So I got in a little trouble flying my drone today :( I was interested in taking some shots of the sports stadiums in Philly and I did until a man from the stadium came out telling me to “bring it down.” I obliged and he asked for my ID and took a picture of my license plate (I think he thought I was going to get in the car and drive off). I gave him my ID and asked him was I not allowed to fly here. He said that it was a no fly zone and I told him that on my app it tells me if I can’t fly and I didn’t know. I shut my drone down and apologized for flying. After a while I think he realized that i was literally just a person with a drone and not a spy for an opposing team and he started to lighten up. He told me the police were coming and a report would be made. After waiting 40 minutes, the police finally came. I simply told them I was flying my drone and didn’t know I couldn’t fly it and the cop said that it was just a warning and made a report. The supervisor from the stadium told me that he has to report it to his “higher ups” but he is unsure what happens after that.

Does anybody know anything about what may happen? Also, the DJI app didn’t give me any indication that it was a no fly zone so what can I do differently next time? Also, is there anything I can do if a situation like this occurs again?
You should ask permission before flying over anyone’s property or business. The Fly More App only refers to airspace regulations. It’s not going to tell you what laws or rights apply for individuals, public spaces, businesses, etc.
This is why so much drone footage is taken out in rural areas and off the beaten path. Because then you are less likely to run into problems.
By the way, I’m guessing that nowhere in the city of Philadelphia is clear of restricted/controlled airspace.

True, but if you were not on stadium property then he had no authority or jurisdiction. That said, you probably made the right choice to cooperate.

Um... she was flying a camera over stadium property. Exactly how do you think that qualifies as “not” being on the property? This is the kind of attitude that creates a negative environment for all drone pilots.
Consider others always when you fly and just maybe others will consider your needs next time government agencies re-visit drone regulations.

Um... she was flying a camera over stadium property. Exactly how do you think that qualifies as “not” being on the property? This is the kind of attitude that creates a negative environment for all drone pilots.
Consider others always when you fly and just maybe others will consider your needs next time government agencies re-visit drone regulations.

It qualifies under the law as "not being on the property", since the property owner doesn't own the airspace. If you don't know even the basics then you probably should not be flying at all, let alone commenting on it.

Last edited:
And you’re guessing completely wrong about Philly having no clear airspace. Dude check some resources before ‘guessing’ when you don’t have a clue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54