DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My first run in with the law over my drone :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Um... she was flying a camera over stadium property. Exactly how do you think that qualifies as “not” being on the property? This is the kind of attitude that creates a negative environment for all drone pilots.
Consider others always when you fly and just maybe others will consider your needs next time government agencies re-visit drone regulations.
So where do you fly?

With that mindset, everywhere is owned by somebody.

You could only fly from your house, over your property...

oh what fun

You should ask permission before flying over anyone’s property or business. The Fly More App only refers to airspace regulations. It’s not going to tell you what laws or rights apply for individuals, public spaces, businesses, etc.
This is why so much drone footage is taken out in rural areas and off the beaten path. Because then you are less likely to run into problems.
By the way, I’m guessing that nowhere in the city of Philadelphia is clear of restricted/controlled airspace.

Permission to fly OVER property? That's not how this works... not at all. When the AIRcraft is in the AIR, the rules you follow for the AIRcraft are AIR rules.

Where you stand while OPERATING the aircraft is very important in reference to Land Use Laws etc but not who owns the property (in general) under the aircraft unless there are valid and active AIRspace restrictions.

Um... she was flying a camera over stadium property. Exactly how do you think that qualifies as “not” being on the property? This is the kind of attitude that creates a negative environment for all drone pilots.

Flying a camera? In the USA the camera or not does not changes FAA Rules. The FAA is concerned with AVIATION safety not DATA Acquisition.

Being ON the property means physically where you or the aircraft is touching Terra-Firma and not in the air above. ON does not equal ABOVE.

Consider others always when you fly and just maybe others will consider your needs next time government agencies re-visit drone regulations.
While this statement is a good one, its important to differentiate between being kind/nice and following Federal Regulations.

It wasn’t some guy...he was a security guard from the stadium.
[Comment removed by ADMIN] I can be extreme when when it comes to situations like this, I will not allow my constitutional rights to be violated. I don't suggest this for anyone, as most don't fully understand what their rights are.. In my state "If there is not reasonable suspicion that a crime has been committed, is being committed, or is about to be committed, an individual is not required to provide identification." Like I said, Im extreme

Last edited by a moderator:
If I'm not mistaken in the rule book your cannot fly over stadiums. Im not sure if they mean while an event is going on anytime.

The DJI geo system knows nothing about the LAANC grid. It will let you fly in Class D unless you are in a DJI zero altitude zone on one of the runway extensions, or right at the airport in its restricted zone. Here is how the DJI geo system sees KSAF, for example. The extent of the Class D is just a warning zone (yellow), with an enhanced warning zone (orange) closer in, then a self-authorizing authorization zone (blue), and then the red airport restricted zones on the runways. Extending out further along the runway centerlines are the grey altitude zones.

View attachment 108896
Well, here’s the map showing where I live, but I can’t fly my DJI drone here without an unlocking license. The airport doesn’t have LAANC yet. As you can see, I’m not on a runway extension path. It was my understanding that I only got the unlocking license because I had a COA (up to 100 ft) for the 0 ft grid area. 1CB88AF0-EB1E-4B40-9CB9-BE92CAA0AA2C.jpeg1CB88AF0-EB1E-4B40-9CB9-BE92CAA0AA2C.jpeg

I haven't looked any maps or anything, however there are TFR's (temporary flight restrictions) out there for 3 miles from any stadium where an event is being held....

Looks like lannes has pulled up an airspace map that shows a flight restriction of Zero feet, meaning, technically, you cannot fly in that sector of controlled air space.

My immediate concern would be the the Class B Air space violation.

Well, here’s the map showing where I live, but I can’t fly my DJI drone here without an unlocking license. The airport doesn’t have LAANC yet. As you can see, I’m not on a runway extension path. It was my understanding that I only got the unlocking license because I had a COA (up to 100 ft) for the 0 ft grid area. View attachment 108987

That's just a DJI blue authorization zone - you don't need any kind of license to self-unlock that location:

1595797423931.png

It is KSUA Class D so you do need FAA authorization to fly there legally, but not to unlock the DJI zone.

Reactions: itsneedtokno
Well, here’s the map showing where I live, but I can’t fly my DJI drone here without an unlocking license. The airport doesn’t have LAANC yet. As you can see, I’m not on a runway extension path. It was my understanding that I only got the unlocking license because I had a COA (up to 100 ft) for the 0 ft grid area. View attachment 108987View attachment 108987
check AirMap, its a 0' ceiling, Class D

(what sar said, which i just saw)

You need to go to a drone school and take your 107 Test.

She's operating under Hobby/Recreational rules so Part 107 would only muddy the waters.

That's just a DJI blue authorization zone - you don't need any kind of license to self-unlock that location:

View attachment 108988

It is KSUA Class D so you do need FAA authorization to fly there legally, but not to unlock the DJI zone.
The “Unable to take off” message disagrees with you. Once I tried to take off before it had a satellite lock, and it immediately landed.

"Unable to take off" would be correct until you self-unlock the flight, as I explained above.
So, in my zero grid area, you're saying that I can self unlock with DJI, but I assume that without a COA I could not fly there legally anyway.

I haven't tried the self unlock, which I used to have to do, since I got my COA and broader unlock license from DJI. So, instead of getting a 2-year unlock license from DJI, I could fly by self unlocking every time? My COA only allows flight over my community, but maybe I'll ask for a broader area within the Class D.

So, in my zero grid area, you're saying that I can self unlock with DJI, but I assume that without a COA I could not fly there legally anyway.

That's correct.
I haven't tried the self unlock, which I used to have to do, since I got my COA and broader unlock license from DJI. So, instead of getting a 2-year unlock license from DJI, I could fly by self unlocking every time? My COA only allows flight over my community, but maybe I'll ask for a broader area within the Class D.

I'm not sure what you have from DJI, but the COA (presumably) makes your flights legal and if it is just a blue authorization zone then self-unlock applies.

That's correct.

I'm not sure what you have from DJI, but the COA (presumably) makes your flights legal and if it is just a blue authorization zone then self-unlock applies.
Thanks!

Reactions: sar104
I think I broke “stadium rules” but legally I could fly ?‍♀️
If you would have used Kittyhawk to get permission to fly (since it's Class B airspace) and you would have gotten that permission.. I don't think the stadium has any say at all and can't do anything. As it is now, I do not think they could do anything except possibly report you to the FAA for flying in Class B airspace. And I doubt they would do that given your attitude. IF there were a game going on at the time then that's a different story...

If you would have used Kittyhawk to get permission to fly (since it's Class B airspace) and you would have gotten that permission.. I don't think the stadium has any say at all and can't do anything. As it is now, I do not think they could do anything except possibly report you to the FAA for flying in Class B airspace. And I doubt they would do that given your attitude. IF there were a game going on at the time then that's a different story...
There's no need to get "permission" from KittyHawk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rugnrollseo