DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My first run in with the law over my drone :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to do research to see what all of these terminologies mean. I’m just looking for “fly” and “don’t fly” lol

I guess the most important thing to note is if an area requires FAA authorisation

Reactions: itsneedtokno

That's not LAANC Authorization from the FAA. She was able to take-off and fly at the location so it was not a DJI Restricted Zone.

You'll use Airmap or Kittyhawk to see what area you're in and then submit a REQUEST to fly in that area to the FAA. Keep in mind that this doesn't over ride any local ordinances about land use etc.

That's not LAANC Authorization from the FAA. She was able to take-off and fly at the location so it was not a DJI Restricted Zone.

You'll use Airmap or Kittyhawk to see what area you're in and then submit a REQUEST to fly in that area to the FAA. Keep in mind that this doesn't over ride any local ordinances about land use etc.
Got it! I downloaded Kittyhawk. I see that some areas is an automatic authorization but some it says “not eligible for authorization” why wouldn’t I be eligible?

If it does how do I obtain authorization?
Hi PrettyGirlFlys, download Airmap on your phone. This app will let you know if you can fly. Also if you are within 5 miles of an airport you need to submit a request for permission to fly (Class B, C, D and E airspace). This app allows you to submit a request to fly in that area and receive a text within a minute or so approving or denying your flight. It works great! Here's info on how to use it. How to use the AirMap App Lincoln Financial Field is a Restricted Special Use Airspace (Class B) so you need to submit a request through the app before flying..

Last edited:
Reactions: wjkrysak
So technically I could fly there huh?

The good news is that they were blowing smoke about the no-fly zone. The bad news is that you were flying in Philadelphia surface Class B airspace, which is illegal without authorization or a waiver.

IMG_3E0B146FA127-1.jpeg

Hi PrettyGirlFlys, download Airmap on your phone. This app will let you know if you can fly. Also if you are within 5 miles of an airport you need to submit a request for permission to fly. This app allows you to submit a request to fly in that area and receive a text within a minute or so approving or denying your flight. It works great! Here's info on how to use it. How to use the AirMap App

5 miles from an airport? That went out the window a while back. It's airspace, airspace, airspace. Distance from the airport is no longer a determining factor at all :)

Yeah... um... oops.

"4. Obtain authorization before flying in controlled airspace (Class B, C, D, and E). You can obtain authorization in three ways:
  1. LAANC
  2. DroneZone
  3. A written agreement with the FAA for fixed flying sites. For more information about fixed flying sites, contact us at [email protected]
NOTE: Flying drones in certain airspace is not allowed. Classes of airspace and flying restrictions can be found on our B4UFLY app."

Reactions: SXViper03
I need to do research to see what all of these terminologies mean. I’m just looking for “fly” and “don’t fly” lol
Hey, I was new to flying 6 months ago and started out with a mini as well. Now I got the itch and am flying a Air 2.

Couple things, grab air map from the app store and start using that for the following:
  1. Open it up before you fly to see if you are in a area to fly don't trust just the DJI App.
  2. As Lannes pointed out you have class B around there. From his pic you can see one square that is 0 "Interstate sign" you cant fly anything there. However, the one that says 100 interstate sign you can use air map to request to fly up to that 100 feet (max would be 400 in other areas that it tells you). if you get a FAA approval go for it (you will know in a few minutes of submitting).
Other couple of side things:
  • be aware of where you are flying... FAA owns air space but people that own the land you launch off have some rights too in a lot of cases. Unfortunately most people dont understand the rules or care so just be aware of where your flying and launching and landing.
  • A good attitude will get you far, unless you really want to shoot some place your legally allowed to fly it might be easier to move on if question or challenge by security forces.
just a few quick pointers welcome to the sub! there are a lot of good people in here. :)

I know the rules are different, but here in the UK the DJI app knows about many (but not all) major stadiums and marks them as authorization zones.
In most places there are rules about [not] flying over crowds and they apply when there's a game on but not otherwise.

So after further research I found this on the stadiums website.
I think comments already made say that the land/building owner can only forbid things on their land (taking off and landing) or in their building but they don't control the airspace above it.
I think this is a global thing - airspace above a country is controlled by its national aviation body (the FAA in the US, the CAA here in the UK). Bans on over-flights by drones generally have no legal basis - if the national body says it is allowed it, then it is: end of story, if they forbid it, then it's forbidden (people living near airports can't allow drone flights in "their" airspace, and they'd dearly love to declare their own exclusion zones). The stadium can't create exclusion rules for a drone at 300 feet any more than they can for a Jet at 30,000.

Drones are effectively pre-authorized to fly in some airspace and (again said already) pilots need to check if the authorization they have covers where they will fly.

Again national differences apply, but doing Urban Exploring, I know if someone calls the cops, whoever turns up has better things to do, they will react based on how difficult they expect you to make life for them, so calm, polite, helpful tends to mean they make a note and get back to better things. Bored and over-zealous security guards are an occupational hazard. (Of course ours don't carry guns :) )

Reactions: Strunk44
First of all, I think you did a great job of staying calm and respectful. You must keep in mind that in addition to airspace restrictions, you are not allowed to fly over people without a waiver from the FAA. As a general rule, I never fly over or near stadiums or football fields. If I have turned down jobs that have asked me to fly over football fields to record games and practice. For me, its too much of a hassle and the pay is not there :)

So I got in a little trouble flying my drone today :( I was interested in taking some shots of the sports stadiums in Philly and I did until a man from the stadium came out telling me to “bring it down.” I obliged and he asked for my ID and took a picture of my license plate (I think he thought I was going to get in the car and drive off). I gave him my ID and asked him was I not allowed to fly here. He said that it was a no fly zone and I told him that on my app it tells me if I can’t fly and I didn’t know. I shut my drone down and apologized for flying. After a while I think he realized that i was literally just a person with a drone and not a spy for an opposing team and he started to lighten up. He told me the police were coming and a report would be made. After waiting 40 minutes, the police finally came. I simply told them I was flying my drone and didn’t know I couldn’t fly it and the cop said that it was just a warning and made a report. The supervisor from the stadium told me that he has to report it to his “higher ups” but he is unsure what happens after that.

Does anybody know anything about what may happen? Also, the DJI app didn’t give me any indication that it was a no fly zone so what can I do differently next time? Also, is there anything I can do if a situation like this occurs again?

I work a mile from the stadiums. Up to around February you were allowed up to 300 ft.
I used to fly there regularly. Once the "stadium police" came and told me I was not allowed there. Showed them the LAANC authorization and they left very quickly. They were very nice and professional . Now the whole area from I95 and S. Front street all the way to the stadiums and past is 0 (zero feet). It literally goes from 300 ft on 95 behind Front st to zero, nothing in between. I hate people on here that like to school others, but it is clearly marked as zero....

I think I broke “stadium rules” but legally I could fly ?‍♀️
One Lincoln Financial Field Way, Philadelphia, PA 19103
It's FAA controlled airspace. YOU 100% CAN NOT FLY THERE!!!! without an authorization.
And since it is a 0 zone, good luck with the auth (you can get them but if you use a LANNAC app they will tell you that you have to wait 24-72 hours)

It is in the class B airspace of Philadelphia International Airport and the city cops will be the least of your worries if the FAA should find out.

They may have said it's a no-fly zone--but that doesn't mean it really is. They probably don't like people flying over the stadium, but that doesn't mean it's illegal. I see people in rural areas put up "Private Road--No Tresspassing" signs all the time, but when you actually look at a map it's public land--they just don't want you there. Know your rights, but follow the law.

it has nothing to do with stadiums (unless there is people in it). The whole stadium area in Philadelphia is zero feet in the FAA map and in Kittyhawk...

Reactions: SXViper03
I flew around the Brewers Stadium (Miller Park) but took off from an area that was not on the Miller Park Grounds. Photo 1
View attachment DJI_0178.JPG

Photo 2 -
DJI_0190 (2).JPG
Yesterday, I wanted to fly around downtown Milwaukee and took off from a strip of land next to Lake Michigan - a worker came over and said that I legally could not fly there - I was technically in a state park - but then he pointed to a strip of land, 10 feet away (Litterally) that he said I could fly from (County Park) Lifes Lessons - :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucian