DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My first skin wrap ever

Talley

Reactions
Well my first wrap and it didn’t take too long about an hour. Ya I’m slow. I screwed up the corners in the first battery but learned to heat the crap out of the corners. Overall it’s very good quality I just wish there was more covered.

96B7D7AF-A436-4568-9E12-B7F5BB540E0B.jpeg 4B79E3C0-0C19-4C20-8769-68CA08A8306D.jpeg

Attachments

• 9A8ECF91-D9BE-4952-AB62-95B373184469.jpeg
    9A8ECF91-D9BE-4952-AB62-95B373184469.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 403
Wow first flight resulted in it’s more quiet. Not sure how but even my 72 year old neighbor could tell too.

Slick wraps. I am very impressed with the quality. I got the corners perfect by the last battery.

I’ll hook my calibrated microphone up tomorrow and get a RTA graph of the frequency of the mavic after the wrap. For sure it’s quieter just not sure what frequency.

I chose a little more simple approach and change it up a little from what it the sticker sheet actually look like. Mainly did it for battery identification and chose silver to keep it more of a factory look.

Attachments

• 5F35477F-5DBB-41C3-A42E-4BAD5380C1EB.jpeg
    5F35477F-5DBB-41C3-A42E-4BAD5380C1EB.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 251
Last edited:
Reactions: Maireck and bobj151
Nice wrap.... very cool.

Does the spot(s) where the back legs on the MP 2 rub the body when they're being folded in look like it's going to cause a problem? I'd like to wrap mine eventually but I wonder if it will make for an even tighter fit - (folding the legs in) or if the legs rubbing on the edge of the vinyl might peel up an edge.

I read a few other posts from other MP2 Pro buyers who said they had the same issue as I have - where the legs rub against the sides of the body when you're folding or unfolding them.

Legs don’t rub with the wrap. The only thing that rubs is the motor on the body but this wrap doesn’t wrap that specific spot. In fact it makes sense now if they wrapped the body where it’s notthen yes it could be an issue rubbing on the arms

I wonder how Slick Wraps compares to Decal Girl or PGYTech skins? Anyone use 2 or more of these?

The only one I've ever used was WrapGrade from Japan; that was an excellent skin that covered every inch very neatly. Also costs a little more than others, since it ships from Japan.

Trying to decide which brand of skin to buy for the new MP 2 Pro.

My original Mavic Pro looks like this (Drone Wrap from Japan):
9.jpg 8.jpg

Reactions: Eldest and bobj151
Slick wraps. I am very impressed with the quality. I got the corners perfect by the last battery.

I’ll hook my calibrated microphone up tomorrow and get a RTA graph of the frequency of the mavic after the wrap. For sure it’s quieter just not sure what frequency.

Do you have "before" reading for the comparison?

wrap - "harder to find" in case if something goes wrong

what does that mean? even though this is "camo" it's visibility is actually better than before since it's reflective. It doesn't "camo" anything.

WRAPGRADE.JP

I should of done my research before I bought. These guys wrap the entire bird. Cost a bit more but your getting the whole bird.

I'll probably go ahead and buy the celestrail blue

Reactions: Thealien and Whack
WRAPGRADE.JP

I should of done my research before I bought. These guys wrap the entire bird. Cost a bit more but your getting the whole bird.

I'll probably go ahead and buy the celestrail blue
I've ordered the lemonchino yellow from WrapGrade!! Not sure why cos I'm all thumbs & not very patient when it comes to being delicate interesting times ahead when it's time to fit it

Since when camo begins high visible ?

well it's more reflective since the wrap has shiny to it. This camo does not camo anything at all... I've flown it out to 1200' away and can see it normal just like it was before it was wrapped. When the bird turns certain ways you get a glare from the sun off of the arms... with the wrap on.

I received my wrap from Decal Girl yesterday and will be applying it tonight or tomorrow. It comes with a decal that covers the belly of the bird, you know, the part made of metal. Since there have been some issues with heat, is it wise to cover this part with a decal since, I assume, the metal conducts the heat away from the craft? Covering this part will only hold heat in. The other plastic parts do not seem to get very warm so I'm not too concerned about covering them but I don't think I will apply the decal to the underside of my Mavic.

Thoughts...?

Reactions: Ken K
I've ordered the lemonchino yellow from WrapGrade!!

I have that wrap on my Mavic Pro I (but different color). It is an excellent wrap. It was ingeniously designed to cover almost every millimeter of your drone using as few pieces as possible.

I will say it was a BEACH to put on. It took me close to 3 hours. Go very slow. Make sure you put them on in the exact order they tell you to. Don't just look at the stickers and free-wheel it. If you do it right, there will be virtually NO edges - they're all covered very neatly. Be patient. Use tweezers if necessary. Did I say Go Slow already? You will be VERY satisfied with the result. No heat was necessary at all if done right. Get comfortable and work in a well-lit area. The Wrap-Grade material, cut, and fit was much better than any other skin I've seen (but also the most expensive after shipping and all.) Once you get it on, if you do it right, you'll see that it's not going ANYWHERE unless you take it off. Mine has no edges starting to peel-up after about a year.

I'm about to order a WrapGrade skin for my Mavic Pro II, but can't decide on what color/pattern.

My 2 Cents. Good luck.

PS. The WrapGrade skin does NOT cover the metal heat-sink on the bottom of the Mavic Pro I. I don't think I'd put skin on that section, but - your call.

I have that wrap on my Mavic Pro I (but different color). It is an excellent wrap. It was ingeniously designed to cover almost every millimeter of your drone using as few pieces as possible.

I will say it was a BEACH to put on. It took me close to 3 hours. Go very slow. Make sure you put them on in the exact order they tell you to. Don't just look at the stickers and free-wheel it. If you do it right, there will be virtually NO edges - they're all covered very neatly. Be patient. Use tweezers if necessary. Did I say Go Slow already? You will be VERY satisfied with the result. No heat was necessary at all if done right. Get comfortable and work in a well-lit area. The Wrap-Grade material, cut, and fit was much better than any other skin I've seen (but also the most expensive after shipping and all.) Once you get it on, if you do it right, you'll see that it's not going ANYWHERE unless you take it off. Mine has no edges starting to peel-up after about a year.

I'm about to order a WrapGrade skin for my Mavic Pro II, but can't decide on what color/pattern.

My 2 Cents. Good luck.

PS. The WrapGrade skin does NOT cover the metal heat-sink on the bottom of the Mavic Pro I. I don't think I'd put skin on that section, but - your call.
Thanks @TrayBoz. From looking at all other wraps available the WrapGrade really did look the best, just from observation. I was worried about the heat sink at the bottom alright. Did the wrap affect the signal on your mp1 at all?
I really struggled with the colour choice between the yellow, neon orange,butterfly copper, or even silver with orange accents. Eventually went with yellow

I own my file cut wrap for Mavic pro and it covers the body of the drone almost 95% and looks like Japanese style
Soon I will post the file here in the forum in a special and solo topic

Attachments

• IMG_1171.JPG
    IMG_1171.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 111
  • IMG_1174.JPG
    IMG_1174.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 108
  • IMG_1191.JPG
    IMG_1191.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 100
  • IMG_1203.JPG