DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My first skin wrap ever

Anybody ever try taping off the sensitive areas and spray painting? I can spray paint but would have a stroke spending 3 hours trying to tediously apply a wrap. Any experience with what colors can be seen better from distance?

I have a Mavic Air RED (glossy) and got the .AI file on the forum that someone made available online and printed my own matrix. After that, I bought transparent sticker sheet and cut on its format, and applied to it. It was a good job although there are some small wrinkles on the borders, even using hot air. But at least my finger prints don't stay on it anymore. After, I also glued a nice Santa Cruz Screaming hand on the top! ruaaarh

Ah, I recently bought a transparent (kind of white) silicone casing for it too. It fits perfectly and gives more protection.

Wow first flight resulted in it’s more quiet. Not sure how but even my 72 year old neighbor could tell too.
is this a joke about how car guys say their NOS stickers make them faster?

Reactions: Okie
My Mavic Air was easy to wrap, but the wrap I got for my P4P 2.0 was extremely difficult and didn't match exactly. When I bought it, it said for P4, P4P, P4P 2.0 so it should have fit properly.

no... it was a clear audible difference for the quieter. I just haven't had time to hook up my mic and test to verify.
I'm going to be honest, that seems like a real placebo effect. You'd need a meter to really know. Unless there's some crazy physics going on, that shouldnt do anything.

I chose a little more simple approach and change it up a little from what it the sticker sheet actually look like. Mainly did it for battery identification and chose silver to keep it more of a factory look.
Wow looks sleek! Where did you get these decals?

Do you know where I could get Free Vector images in a Black Camo pattern?

Thanks

It's easier to get your drone's template first, then apply the pattern you want on it on Photoshop. So, when you print it (adhesive paper), it will be ready to go. A second option is to print a blank template, buy a sticker paper with your preferred canvas and then cut it following the model.

WRAPGRADE.JP

I should of done my research before I bought. These guys wrap the entire bird. Cost a bit more but your getting the whole bird.

I'll probably go ahead and buy the celestrail blue

This is how I feel. I thought I did the research but no where on not so slick wraps website does it show a side view. They are also very hard to contact for customer service. Due to the pictures on their website I thought it was full coverage as there are no pictures showing otherwise. When they finally replied to my 3 emails they showed me a sheet showing I got everything? I said it was very deceptive advertising and they should add that cut sheet to their website or at least show a side view. I have not heard back since. I have wrap grade for my other mavic and will do a side by side review eventually!!

not-so-slick-wraps.jpg

Here are a couple of pictures of my not so slick wraps! I used tweezers and gloves. I cleaned with 91% alcohol before installation. I had to cut a couple of slots to get it to even come close to laying flat. I see that wrap grade uses 3 pieces to wrap the battery instead of 1 to eliminate or lessen a couple of the issues?

In my humble opinion I would either choose Wrapgrade or Decal Girl. I would avoid this companies oferings!

IMG-20181101-082933226.jpg

IMG-20181101-082955725.jpg

Here are a couple of pictures of my not so slick wraps!

I have been cutting and working with vinyl for quite some time and I can tell you that attempting to design pieces for a complicated wrap like the Mavic 2, is extremely difficult so I understand how some could be off a little.

I have only done business with WrapGrade but I can attest to the fact that their drawings are dead on. Don’t know about Decal Girl but from what I’ve read, those are pretty accurate as well.

Here are my M2P, batteries, and controller.

KB

Reactions: OsamA
I have been cutting and working with vinyl for quite some time and I can tell you that attempting to design pieces for a complicated wrap like the Mavic 2, is extremely difficult so I understand how some could be off a little.

I have only done business with WrapGrade but I can attest to the fact that their drawings are dead on. Don’t know about Decal Girl but from what I’ve read, those are pretty accurate as well.

Here are my M2P, batteries, and controller.

KB

How has the orange color helped with visibility or your M2?

A lot, even more than I anticipated. But as we all know, once the aircraft gets beyond 3-500 feet away, it is just an orange speck instead of a gray speck. :)

Aside from the fact that wrapping is a tedious job, it was actually kind of enjoyable to put all the pieces on the hardware. And using orange, it makes it possible for decals on top of the wrap to stand out that much better.

WrapGrade also includes a piece for the bottom but I did not install that. Too concerned about heat dissipation. But, I don’t think it changes the visibility of the aircraft at all.

I hope that helps.

KB

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlafica