DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 My free mini 2 test flight!

(Down here on the hot Gulf coast, I can melt ice cubes by staring at them for only six or eight minutes. It takes lots of practice, Grasshopper.)
Me thinks that is literally just the ambient temperature there but it must have been a cold day, signed Messrs Kelvin & Faherenheit. 🤣

Serious question. How do you stand the heat?🥵🥵🥵 I'd be melting.

Admins, it's time to block this kid on this forum from continually breaking the rules of drone flying, endangering people, cars and BVLOS. He has been told enough times that he knows better and continues with the foolish remarks, and setting a bad example to younger drone pilots just starting out. How many times are you going to condone watching his videos when he knows better. We may all slip BVLOS once in a while, but this kid is deliberately breaking every rule we try to express as unsafe and against FAA regulations.

This kids only chance is for something we say to get thru to him as he is still going to post on Youtube.
If he does decide to do something Reckless , we can call the FAA and make them aware instantly as long as we have a window to see from.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

Or we can not be a bunch of grumpy old men and help him understand what he is doing is a problem. The last two posts are a bit over the top..

What ever happened to compassion and trying to help people, to educate our youth instead of kicking them in the teeth.

I sent Kywon a message and he understands that he needs to comply with FAA guidelines. He has limited space around him to fly and was excited to get the new bird in the air. Are you guys so old that you forgot what it was like to be young and reckless.

Yorkshire_Pud and MS Coast I appreciate your efforts to educate Kywon and reinforcing compliance with FAA regulations.

Or we can not be a bunch of grumpy old men and help him understand what he is doing is a problem. The last two posts are a bit over the top..

What ever happened to compassion and trying to help people, to educate our youth instead of kicking them in the teeth.

I sent Kywon a message and he understands that he needs to comply with FAA guidelines. He has limited space around him to fly and was excited to get the new bird in the air. Are you guys so old that you forgot what it was like to be young and reckless.

I do agree, but I think his remarks are what is causing the Lack of Compassion as you put it.
I do agree with you, I just meant that if he were to fly from the airport and dodge planes we could notify them .

I do realize as well as the mods that he is Autistic and that brings it own set of challenges, so I hope we keep him around as he has some good piloting skills.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

Last edited:
You can't judge a book by it's cover.

Oh, let's stay real here. It wouldn't have been possible for him to see the drone all the way around the block with all those buildings and trees. And a visual observer only counts if they're close enough to you to talk with you directly.

(Down here on the hot Gulf coast, I can melt ice cubes by staring at them for only six or eight minutes. It takes lots of practice, Grasshopper.)
Is that "talk directly" rule in the US interpreted as in face-to-face, within earshot communication? Or is via radio ok? Here in Canada, a visual observer can be on a radio with the PIC, from what I remember.
Also, isn't the Mini 2 a microdrone under 250g? Our rules here are also much more relaxed when it comes to microdrones -- flying near people isn't explicitly disallowed (although it is not recommended). I even learned through reading Transport Canada materials that the subject of a shoot (for example, a wedding party) can be flown over if they are safety briefed. The no flying within 100 feet (30m) rule is intended to mean the general public, who are not "part of the operation".

Admins, it's time to block this kid on this forum from continually breaking the rules of drone flying, endangering people, cars and BVLOS. He has been told enough times that he knows better and continues with the foolish remarks, and setting a bad example to younger drone pilots just starting out. How many times are you going to condone watching his videos when he knows better. We may all slip BVLOS once in a while, but this kid is deliberately breaking every rule we try to express as unsafe and against FAA regulations.
Whoa, now

There's a long list of adults who have done worse and continue to do worse.. Before you single out "this kid" for a drone nanny intervention, you should deal with the adults and more egregious offenders, here and on youtube.

I personally hope we never reach the point where we reject interested and enthusiastic children from participation because they should "know better."

Admins, it's time to block this kid on this forum from contin.......
I think Kywon does listen to us and I do think he is trying to improve but given his circumstances it may take a few talking to's for the lessons to take hold.
Answering back is common to an awful lot of folks.

One of the early complaints about him was that his style of writing was appalling, that has IMO improved beyond measure and I for one find that immensely hopeful. Yes there is an occasional relapse but it is now only occasional.

There are plenty of adults who come on here seeking advise and explanations for what happened to their drone and refuse, point blank, to believe that they could possibly be in the wrong. Yes Kywon has flown at least one other flight the was low and 'questionable' and posted a video of it but I remain hopeful that we can get through to him.

If he continues to fly such flights I may change my opinion but currently I feel he is worth spending time on .......time will tell I suppose.

Last edited:
Ok you know what
I tried again following your feedback
See the other post I made, the one after this one was made

It will make you abit happier

Kywon there is a good post on rules here but it's long and get's a bit complicated to follow.

Like the information I sent to you through direct message follow these simple rules and you should be OK.

• Always fly the drone below 400 feet
  • Make sure that when you are flying your drone, it is always within your sight (VLOS).
  • Do not fly the drone in restricted airspace.
  • Give way to and do not interfere with crewed aircraft. Do not fly the drone near other aircraft and near airports.
  • Do not fly the drone over groups of people
  • It is not allowed for you to fly the drone over stadiums, public events or sports events.
  • Flying near emergency response efforts such as fires or earthquakes is strictly prohibited.
  • Like driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, it is also prohibited for you to fly under the influence of those substances.
  • You need a Part 107 certification if you want to fly your drone commercially.
  • In order to fly your drones, you are required to have lights on your drone.
  • Keep a safe distance between your drone and other people.
  • Keep the drone close enough to maintain the connection with the remote controller.
  • Can you fly sub-250s over people? Yes, providing the drone has propeller protection (guards) and does not weigh more than 250 grams. Note: DJI Mini-series is over 250g with propeller guards.
  • You may (as of April 21, 2022) fly over people or vehicles if going over them is transitional. That means a just passing through one time (and possibly on return), not hovering or lingering.

Reactions: RobertR
Is that "talk directly" rule in the US interpreted as in face-to-face, within earshot communication? Or is via radio ok? Here in Canada, a visual observer can be on a radio with the PIC, from what I remember.
Also, isn't the Mini 2 a microdrone under 250g? Our rules here are also much more relaxed when it comes to microdrones -- flying near people isn't explicitly disallowed (although it is not recommended). I even learned through reading Transport Canada materials that the subject of a shoot (for example, a wedding party) can be flown over if they are safety briefed. The no flying within 100 feet (30m) rule is intended to mean the general public, who are not "part of the operation".
"What are the Rules for Recreational Flyers"

3. Keep your drone within the visual line of sight or use a visual observer who is co-located (physically next to) and in direct communication with you.​

For recreational flights in the U.S., sub-250 gram drones don't get relief from such regulations.

Reactions: rjwmorrell
Kywon there is a good post on rules here but it's long and get's a bit complicated to follow.

Like the information I sent to you through direct message follow these simple rules and you should be OK.

• Always fly the drone below 400 feet
  • Make sure that when you are flying your drone, it is always within your sight (VLOS).
  • Do not fly the drone in restricted airspace.
  • Give way to and do not interfere with crewed aircraft. Do not fly the drone near other aircraft and near airports.
  • Do not fly the drone over groups of people
  • It is not allowed for you to fly the drone over stadiums, public events or sports events.
  • Flying near emergency response efforts such as fires or earthquakes is strictly prohibited.
  • Like driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, it is also prohibited for you to fly under the influence of those substances.
  • You need a Part 107 certification if you want to fly your drone commercially.
  • In order to fly your drones, you are required to have lights on your drone.
  • Keep a safe distance between your drone and other people.
  • Keep the drone close enough to maintain the connection with the remote controller.
  • Can you fly sub-250s over people? Yes, providing the drone has propeller protection (guards) and does not weigh more than 250 grams. Note: DJI Mini-series is over 250g with propeller guards.
  • You may (as of April 21, 2022) fly over people or vehicles if going over them is transitional. That means a just passing through one time (and possibly on return), not hovering or lingering.
This list needs a little editing. Quick examples - Two items apply only to Part 107 operations. Lights aren't required for daytime operations. "Over groups of people" should be "over people."

"What are the Rules for Recreational Flyers"

3. Keep your drone within the visual line of sight or use a visual observer who is co-located (physically next to) and in direct communication with you.​

For recreational flights in the U.S., sub-250 gram drones don't get relief from such regulations.
Shame, the rules in Canada are more lenient and allow an observer to be separated and in communication via radio, which permits extended ranges. Operating over cars is also permitted, generally.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nenad