DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 My latest video edit

aeciolemos

Reactions
Site
www.youtube.com
I have been creating short videos for the current viewers who like them more than longer videos. This is another one I created on Ireland's amazing sites. Please let me know your opinion. I think the ones I made with narration are better for you get more information, rather than the ones with some text and mostly just viewing. The next one will have voice over.

So I will offer my opinion and suggestions. The video is informative and the flying and positioning is good. So I have been to Ireland and I remember a serene, bucolic countryside with historic castles and rich history. A peaceful enjoyable presence.
As I watch your video with your editing of hard cuts, rapid ascents, left and right lateral high speed repositioning all coupled with an intense repetitive music background I am distracted from the subjects. Perhaps I am just expecting a serene, floating smooth viewing of these magnificent historic structures while listening to a lilting Irish melody as we fade from structure to structure.
I have 20 plus years on you and I am forwarding my senior, initial reaction. The video art starts with the images and motion as recorded - well done. Then the assembly, titling and music completes the package.
I realize that you, the creator, have full control of the presentation and intent. I also can appreciate the time and effort you have put into this video. Please accept my comments as being honest and constructive as I soon head to my 78th birthday.

So I will offer my opinion and suggestions. The video is informative and the flying and positioning is good. So I have been to Ireland and I remember a serene, bucolic countryside with historic castles and rich history. A peaceful enjoyable presence.
As I watch your video with your editing of hard cuts, rapid ascents, left and right lateral high speed repositioning all coupled with an intense repetitive music background I am distracted from the subjects. Perhaps I am just expecting a serene, floating smooth viewing of these magnificent historic structures while listening to a lilting Irish melody as we fade from structure to structure.
I have 20 plus years on you and I am forwarding my senior, initial reaction. The video art starts with the images and motion as recorded - well done. Then the assembly, titling and music completes the package.
I realize that you, the creator, have full control of the presentation and intent. I also can appreciate the time and effort you have put into this video. Please accept my comments as being honest and constructive as I soon head to my 78th birthday.
Hi Dough, I apreciate your feedback. I honestly do. I did try videos as you suggested and I ended up getting very little interest and, most frustrating of all, people would stop watching anywhere between 30 seconds and 1:30min into he videos. I made some very cinematic and scenic ones with appropriate Irish music, or celtic themed music. Unfortunately, either I am not a good editor or a good story teller, but they flopped. I have a few here to edit in a more cinematic way and I will give that a try, making shorter videos than before (the ones I am referring to were 10-15min) but with the scenic, cinematic idea in mind. These were made with people much younger than me, that like everything fast. I am experimenting with narration (voice-over) as well to see which is better, since the newer generations also don't much care for reading (I know this by my three kids and 3 nieces and nephews!!!). I guess I am targeting the TikTok generation :)

Thank you for your feedback. As soon as I finish editing my more cinematic videos (1 or 2 locations per video only), I'll let you know so you can lend me the same critical view of them!

Reactions: DougMcC
I like the concept but the speed ramping and gimmicky transitions are a bit much. Slower smoother movements and using parallax would fit what you are trying to accomplish better IMHO.
Hi Marc,

Thank you for that feedback. As I was telling Doug, my intention had been to keep the attention of the generation that doesn't seem to like to spend much time on one video and that lose interest quickly. I will edit in another style and see if that is better overall. I did think the video was too quick and maybe too gimmicky.

I apreciate the feedback!

I’m glad to be on your review team. You may well be correct that this may be a generational or culture issue. I believe that this forum is mostly a more “senior” group of aviation and photography/video buffs that are thrilled with the new technology and visual perspective that can now be achieved. My first simple aerial landscapes were achieved through Huey sliding doors - now I can choose the timing and lighting without rotor wash and noise - a better camera too!

Reactions: aeciolemos
I'll do my best to give an honest opinion and suggest what I feel, after watching your video. Let me first say that I understand what you are attempting to do here, after reading the above back and forth comments.

Let's break them down a little. You are going after the younger generation, and you understand they have a very short attention span. People are people and the older generation also have a shortish attention span too, especially if the subject has less of an interest to them.

Music can make or break a video. It can make a halfway good video much better. However, it can also make a very good video very bad, if the soundtrack is poorly matched to the subject matter. Editing is equally as important along with subject matter. It is not easy making an appealing video. It is even more difficult to make one that will interest all ages of viewers.

Your soundtrack choice... it's a good one, though not really suited to your subject matter with what I think the message about the castles was. It is also not suited to the different types of video filming styles you displayed. Now if you were to make this a 30 second video trailer, about a haunted or spooky type castle film you were making, then yes, it would have suited perfectly.

Those jaggedy titles would also work as a trailer type teaser short, along with the glitchy style editing cuts you made. Such a teaser trailer would also work well with very short, in your face, video clips. However, this is not a short trailer for a movie about these castles, therefore, does not work, in my opinion, as a video about the castles as I assume you intended to be.

Such music is meant to grab attention but not meant to be continually repeated as you show short clips, ramped video speeds, then slow video clips with overlay text etc. When you use this music, along with all the varying clips of video and stills and mix it up with glitchy cuts and titles and overlay text notes, it all just becomes a disjointed jumble, as nice as the filming might be.

Just in the same way that a short fast action style video with catchy music like yours and those glitchy title styles may be great for that short attention span, younger age group you are trying to attract, if the subject matter is about an old folks home, no young viewer is ever going to show interest in it, no matter how great the video clips or how great the music might be.

My opinion is that the younger age group may just not be interested in seeing video of these castles and no amount of editing effects or music styles and catchy glitch titling etc. is going to capture their interest. If you are not grabbing an audience, then it might be that the subject matter is not grabbing the audience. You may be looking to attract the wrong people for the subject you filmed.

Changing up the music to a more mellow type and eliminated much of the glitchy titles etc. would lend itself better to the white text overlays you have along with titles of information you were showing in your video. You might then be on your way to attracting an audience, though I doubt it will be the younger generation.

Your white text overlays on the video clips, suggests a slower pace for viewers to view the castle video and read the information your supplied, at a more leisurely pace. Slower music would also be more soothing and better suited to this subject matter. Now, even with all this change, the subject matter of the castles will not be of interest to a wide audience.

So, please bear that in mind, no video is going to be able to attract all people in an age group and no video is going to be able to attract all people of select age groups, regardless of music, editing and title style choices.

You have some good video clips, some interesting angles and frame compositions, however, you need to combine it all into a coherent finished video. You can create two or three different styles of video, if you wish, each with a different editing style and music choice.

Doing that may be the way to attract different audiences to the same subject matter. I hope you can understand what I was trying to say here and if you are still reading this long entry, thank you for your attention.

Last edited:
I’m glad to be on your review team. You may well be correct that this may be a generational or culture issue. I believe that this forum is mostly a more “senior” group of aviation and photography/video buffs that are thrilled with the new technology and visual perspective that can now be achieved. My first simple aerial landscapes were achieved through Huey sliding doors - now I can choose the timing and lighting without rotor wash and noise - a better camera too!
We are living amazing times for photography buffs like us, especially ones who lived through the darkroom days, high cost of film and equipment and all the hoops we had to go through to get a good shot.

I will try to generate both types of videos and see what performs better on YouTube. The newer generation I call "generation NOW" with ADD. Everything needs to be instant and they have a hard time focusing for long. I prefer longer, more cinematic videos as well, so let's see how that goes. I'll post here once I have one up!

Thanks for your feedback!

I'll do my best to give an honest opinion and suggest what I feel, after watching your video. Let me first say that I understand what you are attempting to do here, after reading the above back and forth comments.

Let's break them down a little. You are going after the younger generation, and you understand they have a very short attention span. People are people and the older generation also have a shortish attention span too, especially if the subject has less of an interest to them.

Music can make or break a video. It can make a halfway good video much better. However, it can also make a very good video very bad, if the soundtrack is poorly matched to the subject matter. Editing is equally as important along with subject matter. It is not easy making an appealing video. It is even more difficult to make one that will interest all ages of viewers.

Your soundtrack choice... it's a good one, though not really suited to your subject matter with what I think the message about the castles was. It is also not suited to the different types of video filming styles you displayed. Now if you were to make this a 30 second video trailer, about a haunted or spooky type castle film you were making, then yes, it would have suited perfectly.

Those jaggedy titles would also work as a trailer type teaser short, along with the glitchy style editing cuts you made. Such a teaser trailer would also work well with very short, in your face, video clips. However, this is not a short trailer for a movie about these castles, therefore, does not work, in my opinion, as a video about the castles as I assume you intended to be.

Such music is meant to grab attention but not meant to be continually repeated as you show short clips, ramped video speeds, then slow video clips with overlay text etc. When you use this music, along with all the varying clips of video and stills and mix it up with glitchy cuts and titles and overlay text notes, it all just becomes a disjointed jumble, as nice as the filming might be.

Just in the same way that a short fast action style video with catchy music like yours and those glitchy title styles may be great for that short attention span, younger age group you are trying to attract, if the subject matter is about an old folks home, no young viewer is ever going to show interest in it, no matter how great the video clips or how great the music might be.

My opinion is that the younger age group may just not be interested in seeing video of these castles and no amount of editing effects or music styles and catchy glitch titling etc. is going to capture their interest. If you are not grabbing an audience, then it might be that the subject matter is not grabbing the audience. You may be looking to attract the wrong people for the subject you filmed.

Changing up the music to a more mellow type and eliminated much of the glitchy titles etc. would lend itself better to the white text overlays you have along with titles of information you were showing in your video. You might then be on your way to attracting an audience, though I doubt it will be the younger generation.

Your white text overlays on the video clips, suggests a slower pace for viewers to view the castle video and read the information your supplied, at a more leisurely pace. Slower music would also be more soothing and better suited to this subject matter. Now, even with all this change, the subject matter of the castles will not be of interest to a wide audience.

So, please bear that in mind, no video is going to be able to attract all people in an age group and no video is going to be able to attract all people of select age groups, regardless of music, editing and title style choices.

You have some good video clips, some interesting angles and frame compositions, however, you need to combine it all into a coherent finished video. You can create two or three different styles of video, if you wish, each with a different editing style and music choice.

Doing that may be the way to attract different audiences to the same subject matter. I hope you can understand what I was trying to say here and if you are still reading this long entry, thank you for your attention.
Thank you for your analysis. I had to laugh in a few parts and I think you (and the other comments) might be aboslutely right. I took some time to reply because I was thinking about all the feedback. Indeed, I might be trying to see to the wrong public. I was trying this fast-paced, high-energy editing style in these clips to see how they would perform and if people would even like them, but I guess I will go back to the slower-paced more cinematic ones. Maybe this editing style would indeed be best in a trailer or a radical sports-related video. It really might not suit the subject matter.

I also feel it lacks the narration to be interesting. I see a lot of beautifully edited videos with great sound tracks but that end up losing the viewer after a minute or two. I honestly have not found my style yet, so I do apreciate all the comments and analysis. I am an old man lost in a young man's world of YouTube.

I am torn between a well-performing haunting-related video I made some time ago and travel-style videos for these locations. I guess I will have to edit both styles and get feedback on them.

Cheers

Thank you for your analysis. I had to laugh in a few parts and I think you (and the other comments) might be aboslutely right. I took some time to reply because I was thinking about all the feedback. Indeed, I might be trying to see to the wrong public. I was trying this fast-paced, high-energy editing style in these clips to see how they would perform and if people would even like them, but I guess I will go back to the slower-paced more cinematic ones. Maybe this editing style would indeed be best in a trailer or a radical sports-related video. It really might not suit the subject matter.

I also feel it lacks the narration to be interesting. I see a lot of beautifully edited videos with great sound tracks but that end up losing the viewer after a minute or two. I honestly have not found my style yet, so I do apreciate all the comments and analysis. I am an old man lost in a young man's world of YouTube.

I am torn between a well-performing haunting-related video I made some time ago and travel-style videos for these locations. I guess I will have to edit both styles and get feedback on them.

Cheers
You and I both, trapped in old bodies. The fast-paced video needs to be about 30 secs or so, showing just the highlights and that will keep them interested, if they are even interested enough to click on a video about castles.

As an example, although we have a cat, I would never click on a video about how to groom a cat, or how to take photos of birds or flowers. I've done 2 of the three I used as an example, but none of those subjects interest me enough to even bother clicking on such a video, if I saw one. Just be aware of that, when you post to the younger generation.

Reactions: aeciolemos
You and I both, trapped in old bodies. The fast-paced video needs to be about 30 secs or so, showing just the highlights and that will keep them interested, if they are even interested enough to click on a video about castles.

As an example, although we have a cat, I would never click on a video about how to groom a cat, or how to take photos of birds or flowers. I've done 2 of the three I used as an example, but none of those subjects interest me enough to even bother clicking on such a video, if I saw one. Just be aware of that, when you post to the younger generation.
Apologies @Cymruflyer for the late reply! With school starting next week, I have been more than busy and I left this open to reply to you and then it slipped my mind!

Exactly that, the body ages, but the mind is still all there.

I see your point. I will revert back to more cinematic videos and storytelling, as I used to do before. This was a test to see if this new "fast-paced", "action-packed" video format would attract and please, but as you pointed out, I don't think the young people are even interested in castles and such, as proven by my asking my kids if they would click on it and none of them saying yes :)

I made a new video and I will post it here tomorrow as soon as it is online in YouTube and I will ask you and @DougMcC to comment on it. I guess I need to stick to just doing what I like and not trying to be trendy (and failing miserably). It's not like this is a side hustle or my future source of income or anything like that. I will go back to doing what I like so I like what I am doing!

Cheers!

I like the concept but the speed ramping and gimmicky transitions are a bit much. Slower smoother movements and using parallax would fit what you are trying to accomplish better IMHO.
Hi @MavicAir2Marc I'm not sure I replied to you (at least I can't see a reply). Yes, I think you guys are right. It was just a test to see if that would fly (pun intended). I can try another faster paced video with smoother transitions and movements, but I think I'll go back to storytelling :)

Cheers

Reactions: MavicAir2Marc
Apologies @Cymruflyer for the late reply! With school starting next week, I have been more than busy and I left this open to reply to you and then it slipped my mind!

Exactly that, the body ages, but the mind is still all there.

I see your point. I will revert back to more cinematic videos and storytelling, as I used to do before. This was a test to see if this new "fast-paced", "action-packed" video format would attract and please, but as you pointed out, I don't think the young people are even interested in castles and such, as proven by my asking my kids if they would click on it and none of them saying yes :)

I made a new video and I will post it here tomorrow as soon as it is online in YouTube and I will ask you and @DougMcC to comment on it. I guess I need to stick to just doing what I like and not trying to be trendy (and failing miserably). It's not like this is a side hustle or my future source of income or anything like that. I will go back to doing what I like so I like what I am doing!

Cheers!
Not to worry, we all have busy lives filled with all sorts. As for your film, think of it this way. We have all seen these action-packed movies like the fast racing cars or Spider Man etc. Now we have also seen the trailers for these movies. They are fast action clips, short and full of action clips with fast paced editing and quick captions. The music is very dynamic and pounding. Together, it is well suited and keeps us watching.

These movies also have some slower clips in them, maybe a distant scene of something, or a panning shot of a building or interior shot of a restaurant or people sat at a table talking etc. Now, image if the editor chose the same editing techniques, caption styles and music, but instead, used these slow-paced clips of film that I just described. The trailer would have absolutely no appeal and would look disjointed because the scenes chosen just did not fit the music, editing style and caption types used. That is sort of what you recently produced; no disrespect meant.

Therefore, the scenes must dictate the editing style and music choice and title use, not to mention the Font choice. All of these things are extremely important to the end result of an edited piece of film. When you go back and redo your film of slow-paced filming of the castles, don't forget that the music is going to play an equal role in making it a good, finished piece.

Slower paced music alone will not help, if that music choice is not a pleasing piece of music. Be sure to choose carefully or better said, match carefully, your music to your film clips. It is not an easy task to choose perfect music for perfect scenes. Nor is it easy to cut the film to best suit the change in beats or transitions of the music. Be mindful of these points when re-editing your film clips.

I have been collecting music for years and have, still just a small collection that I go to, just for my photography, when I want to put something together. Sometimes I hear music and visions come into my head for what I want to put to that music, and I might go out to try and find those scenes and photograph them. Other times I see scenes and think, these visions would be great with this type of music. I then go searching for something in that style/genre and then put the two together.

I am fine with still image editing and creating slide shows however, I have just started editing video, so I'm rather poor at it, at the moment anyway. I do know what I want to achieve though, I just don't yet possess the expertise to arrive at a properly finished film yet. I could sit with a good editor and direct them to do what I want, where and how, plus give them the music to string it all together. I just don't yet have the full knowledge to create the finished piece, all on my own with a video editing programme. But I'm slowly getting there.

One more point to help you. Find a film you like and pay particular attention to how the music is fitting with what you are watching. Turn off the sound and play different music through a headset as you watch the same scenes again and notice how that music changes everything, as you rewatch the scene. Another tip for you to help with editing, is to watch a movie that you like but turn the sound completely off and just watch it in silence, just for the visuals. Pay close attention to when a cut was made and how long each duration of a film clip was shown, before the editor chose to go to the next scene. Plus, pay attention to how those scenes were often linked back and forth and what the camera angle and focal length of the lens was, as the clip was filmed.

By watching a film with no sound, you can see far more clearly, how and possibly why the editor did what he did and when. You are not distracted by the music and can focus solely on the editing. It will also make you understand how important the choice of music is for a scene, when you turn it all on again.

Good luck with that re-edit.

Last edited:
Not to worry, we all have busy lives filled with all sorts. As for your film, think of it this way. We have all seen these action-packed movies like the fast racing cars or Spider Man etc. Now we have also seen the trailers for these movies. They are fast action clips, short and full of action clips with fast paced editing and quick captions. The music is very dynamic and pounding. Together, it is well suited and keeps us watching.

These movies also have some slower clips in them, maybe a distant scene of something, or a panning shot of a building or interior shot of a restaurant or people sat at a table talking etc. Now, image if the editor chose the same editing techniques, caption styles and music, but instead, used these slow-paced clips of film that I just described. The trailer would have absolutely no appeal and would look disjointed because the scenes chosen just did not fit the music, editing style and caption types used. That is sort of what you recently produced; no disrespect meant.

Therefore, the scenes must dictate the editing style and music choice and title use, not to mention the Font choice. All of these things are extremely important to the end result of an edited piece of film. When you go back and redo your film of slow-paced filming of the castles, don't forget that the music is going to play an equal role in making it a good, finished piece.

Slower paced music alone will not help, if that music choice is not a pleasing piece of music. Be sure to choose carefully or better said, match carefully, your music to your film clips. It is not an easy task to choose perfect music for perfect scenes. Nor is it easy to cut the film to best suit the change in beats or transitions of the music. Be mindful of these points when re-editing your film clips.

I have been collecting music for years and have, still just a small collection that I go to, just for my photography, when I want to put something together. Sometimes I hear music and visions come into my head for what I want to put to that music, and I might go out to try and find those scenes and photograph them. Other times I see scenes and think, these visions would be great with this type of music. I then go searching for something in that style/genre and then put the two together.

I am fine with still image editing and creating slide shows however, I have just started editing video, so I'm rather poor at it, at the moment anyway. I do know what I want to achieve though, I just don't yet possess the expertise to arrive at a properly finished film yet. I could sit with a good editor and direct them to do what I want, where and how, plus give them the music to string it all together. I just don't yet have the full knowledge to create the finished piece, all on my own with a video editing programme. But I'm slowly getting there.

One more point to help you. Find a film you like and pay particular attention to how the music is fitting with what you are watching. Turn off the sound and play different music through a headset as you watch the same scenes again and notice how that music changes everything, as you rewatch the scene. Another tip for you to help with editing, is to watch a movie that you like but turn the sound completely off and just watch it in silence, just for the visuals. Pay close attention to when a cut was made and how long each duration of a film clip was shown, before the editor chose to go to the next scene. Plus, pay attention to how those scenes were often linked back and forth and what the camera angle and focal length of the lens was, as the clip was filmed.

By watching a film with no sound, you can see far more clearly, how and possibly why the editor did what he did and when. You are not distracted by the music and can focus solely on the editing. It will also make you understand how important the choice of music is for a scene, when you turn it all on again.

Good luck with that re-edit.
Thank you for that very insightful reply. I will start to study the art of video editing! I usually do go for a soundtrack that fits the mood of what I envision in the editing, which is what I thought of for that fast-paced edit. However, I think in this case I did not fit the editing/music/style to the topic. I mean, I tried to make castles and ruins look like Fast and Furious. It didn't really work :)

I have made a reedit of one of the castles in a story-telling format. I will post the link later today (or tomorrow). However, I still want to edit in a more cinematic style and make it "epic" so I guess I have a lot of learning to do.

I like to mix video and still images for I think it adds to the narative and sometimes the pictures capture more than a video can and other times, it is the opposite. I have a lot of other videos in my channel that I have edited in different ways, so I need to watch the again and try to figure out what I like, what speaks to me and what fits best.

Thanks again!

Hi @DougMcC and @MavicAir2Marc,
Please take a look at my latest edit. I would really appreciate your feedback. I hope I have taken your last feedback to heart in this edit!
Cheers
Aecio

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne