DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My MA2 got hit by a powerful laser.

First time posting on this forum. I got really mad at the moment and flew where the guy was lasering from. Maybe not a good idea, but luckily I didn't find anything wrong with the camera sensor. I was so mad when it happened but cooled off. Well here are a couple of pictures I took that night. Video link:

I have no knowledge of the federal laws, but the CA laser-pointing law applies only to aircraft capable of transporting people. You can charge the person with a PC 594(a) for vandalism if it can be proven that the laser actually harmed any part of the drone, and an attempted vandalism (PC 664/594(a)) could be charged if there was proof that the specific laser used COULD have damaged any part of the drone. But you would have to recover the laser to see how powerful it was, and the damage it was capable of creating.

Oh, sure! Use logic and reason! That’s not fair!
I suspect the FAA may have more pressing things to investigate. After watching the video, I couldn’t say for sure the drone was being targeted. Looked like it could’ve been some kid screwing around, pointing the ‘powerful’ pen laser he got on Amazon randomly into the sky and happened upon the drone. Let’s see the damaged sensors and the melted fuselage before we rush to judgement.
Then why was the law written to include ALL aircraft rather than only manned aircraft, if the intent was to never enforce the law against lasers shining on unmanned aircraft?

I have no knowledge of the federal laws, but the CA laser-pointing law applies only to aircraft capable of transporting people. You can charge the person with a PC 594(a) for vandalism if it can be proven that the laser actually harmed any part of the drone, and an attempted vandalism (PC 664/594(a)) could be charged if there was proof that the specific laser used COULD have damaged any part of the drone. But you would have to recover the laser to see how powerful it was, and the damage it was capable of creating.
Thank you for letting me know for what laws may apply to this accident. Like I said, no damages appear to apparent with the camera or sensors on the drone so I won't pursue with charges or anything like that.

It is a law and very serious. Here you go.Laser Incidents
Thank you for letting me know for what laws may apply to this accident.
Read a little further and you'd find out why the FAA is concerned about lasers and aircraft.
Lasers distract pilots from their safety duties and can lead to temporary blindness during critical phases of flight, such as takeoff and landing.
In some cases in the past, pilots have reported eye injuries that required medical treatment.
or
The FAA is aware of an increasing number of incidents of lasers being pointed at aircraft, a scenario that could not be contemplated by the drafters of the initial rule.
The FAA has recognised that the exposure of air crews to laser illumination may cause hazardous effects (e.g. distraction, glare, after-image flash blindness and, in extreme circumstances, persistent or permanent visual impairment), which could adversely affect the ability of aircrews to carry out their responsibilities.

Try explaining your serious concerns to the FAA, tell them that the rules say aircraft and your drone is an aircraft and see if you get laughed at.
Then why was the law written to include ALL aircraft rather than only manned aircraft, if the intent was to never enforce the law against lasers shining on unmanned aircraft?
Because the rulings above come from 2011 and 2012 (to amend an anti-hijack rule from 1961 that referred to passengers interfering with aircrew on a plane).
That was back in a time when the idea of widespread recreational drones could not be contemplated by the drafters of the initial rule.

Reactions: Ace.7
Read a little further and you'd find out why the FAA is concerned about lasers and aircraft.
Lasers distract pilots from their safety duties and can lead to temporary blindness during critical phases of flight, such as takeoff and landing.
In some cases in the past, pilots have reported eye injuries that required medical treatment.
or
The FAA is aware of an increasing number of incidents of lasers being pointed at aircraft, a scenario that could not be contemplated by the drafters of the initial rule.
The FAA has recognised that the exposure of air crews to laser illumination may cause hazardous effects (e.g. distraction, glare, after-image flash blindness and, in extreme circumstances, persistent or permanent visual impairment), which could adversely affect the ability of aircrews to carry out their responsibilities.

Try explaining your serious concerns to the FAA, tell them that the rules say aircraft and your drone is an aircraft and see if you get laughed at.

Because the rulings above come from 2011 and 2012 (to amend an anti-hijack rule from 1961 that referred to passengers interfering with aircrew on a plane).
That was back in a time when the idea of widespread recreational drones could not be contemplated by the drafters of the initial rule.
Are you even reading the full reply? Here's the part you cut out: " Like I said, no damages appear to apparent with the camera or sensors on the drone so I won't pursue with charges or anything like that. " This was in reply from dcpmark's explanation about the rules regarding about the accident.

or

It seems that some people believe that all FAA rules that apply to manned aircraft also apply to drones.. I read the rule for lasers as, The laser would have to pointed at the pilot flying the drone, not the drone..I dont want to take anything away from the recreational drone community, but I believe the whole FAA registration is more about a forum of revenue for the FAA..

First time posting on this forum. I got really mad at the moment and flew where the guy was lasering from. Maybe not a good idea, but luckily I didn't find anything wrong with the camera sensor. I was so mad when it happened but cooled off. Well here are a couple of pictures I took that night. Video link:

How do you get those hyper lapse type of pictures???

Do you think somebody was trying to ward off your evil drone?

From what I could see, your "laser guy" was shining a bright laser into the sky. Shining lasers into aircraft is a Federal offense. You should let the authorities know. Suppose his laser blinded the pilot of a small airplane and it crashed into a house killing the occupant/s.

Reactions: Ex Coelis
You can also put some black gaffers tape over the red and green led lights so that kids won’t be able to spot it in the air

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure