DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My Mavic 2 will not work with Goggles RE, am I the only one?

I've just upgraded the RE goggles to firmware version 01.00.0600 and now the downlink holds much further than previously and I can confirm that the head tracking works very well.

However, at around 600 meters the video link on both the goggles and my iPad began to break up. By 650m both had lost the picture completely.

Turning off the goggles restored the iPad connection and I continued out to 2.2km before the signal started to drop.

So, realistically you are limited to about half a Km when using goggles as it stands.

My understanding is that both remote and goggles talk directly to the AC - so although I can understand the goggles might loose connection (it's Arial not the same as the remote) I can't understand why the remote's connection would be affected- but it is!

It's almost as if the remote is picking up it's signal from the goggles or maybe the goggles are telling the AC what band/freq to use. Can anybody else confirm this behaviour?

Several people have mentioned that. Likely an issue they'll need to fix in future firmware since that's never been an issue with the MP.

Several people have mentioned that. Likely an issue they'll need to fix in future firmware since that's never been an issue with the MP.
That's good to know. Just have to wait for another firmware update.

It's not exactly a polished package as yet- but I for one am happy to be an early adopter and have the chance to fly whilst the kinks are ironed out.

I might hook the goggles up to my MP and give that a try when my son comes over later to spot for each other.

Any problems connecting goggles to both MP & M2P I wonder - with both birds in the air at the same time? Hmmm...

What do you mean? The goggles can only be connected to one aircraft at a time.
Yes, I'm assuming they will connect to whichever AC they see first.

With both Mavics flying and, say the connection starts to drop out from the one the goggles are connected to - they might decide to suddenly connect to the other Mavic if it's closer. Head tracking might then effect the 2nd AC!

Just anticipating potential "Gotchas" :)

I've just upgraded the RE goggles to firmware version 01.00.0600 and now the downlink holds much further than previously and I can confirm that the head tracking works very well.

However, at around 600 meters the video link on both the goggles and my iPad began to break up. By 650m both had lost the picture completely.

Turning off the goggles restored the iPad connection and I continued out to 2.2km before the signal started to drop.

So, realistically you are limited to about half a Km when using goggles as it stands.

My understanding is that both remote and goggles talk directly to the AC - so although I can understand the goggles might loose connection (it's Arial not the same as the remote) I can't understand why the remote's connection would be affected- but it is!

It's almost as if the remote is picking up it's signal from the goggles or maybe the goggles are telling the AC what band/freq to use. Can anybody else confirm this behaviour?

The reason you are likely loosing both feeds is because both utilize OccuSync 2.0 and it does succumb to the same deficits as Wi-Fi. Have you tried running the goggles at 720 res vs 1080? Higher resolution uses more bandwidth which will yield a shorter range.

Reactions: wisesafe
Done some more testing today, In an open space could get nearly 600m before the glitching and video freeze then glitching. Landed then switched to a low resolution in the goggles RE, interesting as someone else pointed out that 720p 60fps could not be activated, so could only get 720p 30fps to work. Then got 1.1 km with only the slightest of 1 glitch which didn’t worry me.

So dji lets get everything sorted and turn up the power on 1080p to at least 2km or even the 7km as advertised!

Done some more testing today, In an open space could get nearly 600m before the glitching and video freeze then glitching. Landed then switched to a low resolution in the goggles RE, interesting as someone else pointed out that 720p 60fps could not be activated, so could only get 720p 30fps to work. Then got 1.1 km with only the slightest of 1 glitch which didn’t worry me.

So dji lets get everything sorted and turn up the power on 1080p to at least 2km or even the 7km as advertised!

It all has to do with interference. 7km is perfect conditions... zero interference. A colleague of mine in the middle of the deserts of Arizona can get out about 4 miles. I can barely break a mile where I live. Also, I may have missed it, but I did not see where they advertised 1080P at the long-distance. Even as such, it all has to do with bandwidth which is directly affected by interference.

FYI, for those who weren't aware, DJI recently released an updated firmware set for the DJI Goggles (white edition) to work with the Mavic 2 (version 01.04.0500). I just updated my goggles (make sure to use the DJI Assistant for *goggles* to do this) and was able to link my MP2 to the goggles and take a short test flight. It worked great! Unfortunately, the winds are whipping here today so I won't be able to distance test them until tomorrow at the earliest. But I thought I'd get word out to those of you who have the white (not RE) goggles.

Reactions: Elton Hammonds
I think what might be also confusing people is that they are not paying attention to the thread title and getting the version of the goggles mixed up

I suggest that those of you who experience disconnection problems report it on the DJI support forum.

My Mavic 2 looses connection with the goggles and the remote at about 1000 feet away. Everything is fine with the goggles off. I have been told that DJI is aware of the issue and is working on it, but, it seems like I'm the only one with this problem. Anyone else?

All firmware is up to date on everything, etc.

I have the same issue. I have paid big money for now useless product and warranty is running.

Add me to the list on this issue…

I am also running the latest firmware on my Mavic 2 Pro & RE Goggles, they connect fine, however after flying just 200 feet away from the Goggles the connection drops completely.

If DJI is monitoring, can you please either offer a step by step set of instructions on how to fix it, or let us know if this is indeed a known issue that will be addressed down the road with a firmware update by DJI.

Thanks

After doing following I was able to fly for long distances w/o signal issues.
- refresh FW in my M2P
- reset the goggles RE
- refresh FW in the RE
- uninstalling DJI GO (Android)
- installing DJI GO (Android)

I tested 3 times. Twice 4km, ones 3,5km. I did with mounted the analog antenna and with unmounted - no difference.

DJI GO = regular mode
RE = 720p/30fps first two test, 1080p/30fps the second test

Last edited:
DJI are aware, made sure of it with the 2 reps on rcg.
Just sent them a "refresher" as well since I just received my M2 and have the issue too.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeaconB