DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My Mavic is gone, what's next?

What's my next step?

• Total voters
Well it depends on what you want to do. I think I've heard that DJI sells just the Mavic drone so you could just buy that. OR if you think you are done with AP drones or even just the Mavic, sell the stuff off...

Hard choice, but I think I'd go for the bare bones Mavic and be happy with 5 batteries and a spare charger you could use for days where you want to fly more often.
I just can't see the value in the platinum at this stage with very minor features upgrade for premium price still.
Maybe a set of the new props to try out too.

I'm In the same boat. If I buy Mavic platinum, How much can we sell the old controller for?

I'm In the same boat. If I buy Mavic platinum, How much can we sell the old controller for?

I'm assuming a new mavic can't be bought alone just the drone itself ?
You get a new controller ?

If so, maybe do the atti mode hack on the original spare controller ?
Practice the speaker partial mute mod to the annoying warning beep ?

Hmm well I wouldn't call it a flyaway, more like an unfortunate series of events where it tried to RTH and had bad settings with which it was told to follow.

Anyhow... if you enjoyed flying it, I'd totally suggest getting another but just the drone itself.

Definitely would not wait for the platinum, it's barely any different and since you already have the controller you'd be out even more $ for no reason. Not sure who voted for that but it's the least sensible of the options by far.

Last edited:
Man...that's rough. Sounds like me when I had my home builds crash.

Hmm well I wouldn't call it a flyaway, more like an unfortunate series of events where it tried to RTH and had bad settings with which it was told to follow.

Anyhow... if you enjoyed flying it, I'd totally suggest getting another but just the drone itself.

Definitely would not wait for the platinum, it's barely any different and since you already have the controller you'd be out even more $ for no reason. Not sure who voted for that but it's the least sensible of the options by far.

The only reason I'd still call it a "flyaway" is because I don't know what actually happened after the signal was lost from the controller on the other side. (I flew thru that narrow ridgeline "saddle" in the upper left corner of the picture. Plus, I was 800' below on the other side.) It could have just hovered until the batteries died. It could have crashed into the cliff on an attempted RTH (most likely). Or it could have just wandered off into drone oblivion. Here's is the last known drone location as shown on Bingmaps (see attached). Access to that point is from the top, too! :(

Drone Location 2.jpg

So...I went ahead and just bought a NEW Mavic package. I'll just sell the old controller (for around $220 on eBay) and keep the batteries and DJI goggles for use with the new Mavic. If the Platinum turns out to be a winner, I'll sell this one (assuming I don't lose it, too) and buy the Platinum. But, if it's even a micron slower than the regular Mavic...I'll pass.

Thanks for all your help, fellow droners!! :)

Last edited:
I would definitely do a fly over while recording in 4K the path and area the mavic was on when lost with your new mavic.

Then study the footage at home on big screen to see if you can locate your lost bird.

Not a bad idea, but one the other hand...it may be a Bermuda Triangle of sorts. That area where the drone was lost is on opposite the side of the controller, so dropping too low will cause another blackout.

Losing one drone is bad. Losing two in the same area is insane!

Reactions: adramelech52
You dont have to be postioned were you lost connection

I didnt say to replicate your loss.

You are allowed to move or change position to control the drone.

I voted #3

Actually, you gave AWESOME advice...which I followed...and I found it!! I went to the other side of the ridge for some reconnaissance. It was a hell of an odyssey to get there including a 10 mile 4WD (low-range) drive to a good launch point, a 2 mile distant reconnaissance with my new drone, a "friendly" ride with the mining company security vehicle to the crash site and a pretty sketchy 30 minute hike off the side of a cliff.

The drone is in shambles. The camera lens is shattered, the top/front is dented pretty good and all the props are clipped. Otherwise, it looks OK. Trying to decide if it's fixable.

I flew thru that narrow ridgeline "saddle" in the upper left corner of the picture. Plus, I was 800' below on the other side.

Oh no !
Lesson learned re RTH height etc and going so far above home . . . although is the RTH supposed to go up from current drone position height to the set RTH additional clearance, or does it rise to the pre set from the home elevation ?

I suppose you'd have hoped obstacle avoidance would work in such a case as a last resort, was this turned on ?

Edit - GREAT news on recovery, at least you might have something repairable / sellable, or some spares.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54