DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My Mavic Pro 2 is Dangerous during compass calibration.

DRCRAWL

Reactions
Be Careful. While calibrating the compass on my MP2P the blades turned on for a second and cut my finger in three places before it shut off again. I bleed for 3 days it cut so deep. Not sure why this happened. I was holding the drone firmly but I always tend to keep my pinky finger floating for some reason. Make sure to grasp your drone with all fingers tightly affixed to the drone when calibrating the compass.

First of all, sorry that happened to you.

I have a M2P and have never seen this or even heard of the propellers running while doing the compass dance before. I was wondering if you did something unique like picking it up to fast, or accidentally touching the controller sticks, etc.

First of all, sorry that happened to you.

I have a M2P and have never seen this or even heard of the propellers running while doing the compass dance before. I was wondering if you did something unique like picking it up to fast, or accidentally touching the controller sticks, etc.

Agreed - there's no functionality to start the props without either activation by CSC or the auto takeoff button. The flight DAT log will show the cause of the motor start.

The only "uncommanded" movement I've ever gotten from any DJI is the slight 10 or so degree movement during power up.

Very strange.

Reactions: DRCRAWL
Sorry you were hurt.

Best SOP (standard operating procedure) is to remove all props prior to any* non-flight power on process.

*Exception being while measuring dynamic vibration on each prop, done one at a time.

LOL makes sense. Wish I would have thought of that before hand.

Agreed - there's no functionality to start the props without either activation by CSC or the auto takeoff button. The flight DAT log will show the cause of the motor start.
Yeah, caught me off guard. As someone pointed out below, i'll be removing the blades when it asks for this again.

Do you know why the props started? It is defective?

That's why no matter what, if you power up your drone for whatever reason inside the house, take off the darn props!

That should not be necessary, and there was almost certainly a direct cause of the motor start in this case. However, since the OP is apparently not going to post the log file it is going to remain unknown.

Well, yes, I guess if you plan fly indoors, then you need the props.
But I think it is still an unnecessary risk if you power up the bird for maintenance/updates or anything.
Alot going on inside these "birds", and all you need is 1 hiccup/bit to flip, and the motors can start to spin.

Not worth the risk to me....

Well, yes, I guess if you plan fly indoors, then you need the props.
But I think it is still an unnecessary risk if you power up the bird for maintenance/updates or anything.
Alot going on inside these "birds", and all you need is 1 hiccup/bit to flip, and the motors can start to spin.

Not worth the risk to me....

Agreed for non-standard stuff. It should not be necessary to remove the props just to do a compass calibration though.

I agree when inside, take the props off. Just not that hard to put back on. Probably a good time to take a good look at them anyway.

In all honesty, I have never had my M2P spin up on me while calibrating the compass. I normally calibrate it by grabbing it by the bottom, but that can be dangerous getting under it to pick it up. This is an absolute mystery to me. You had not taken off and landed, you did your usual inspection, went through your checklist and the software prompted you to a compass cal. and it then spun up. I have never had that happen in 84 flights, and I do a compass cal every time as a matter of routine, just part of my checklist.

In all honesty, I have never had my M2P spin up on me while calibrating the compass. I normally calibrate it by grabbing it by the bottom, but that can be dangerous getting under it to pick it up. This is an absolute mystery to me. You had not taken off and landed, you did your usual inspection, went through your checklist and the software prompted you to a compass cal. and it then spun up. I have never had that happen in 84 flights, and I do a compass cal every time as a matter of routine, just part of my checklist.
correct

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu