DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My Mavic Pro lost connection and landed in a brook - want to find the reason

It will try & retrace it’s flight path for the the first 60 seconds. If it fails to regain contact with the RC, it then straight lines the rest of the RTH.

My understanding (and I could be wrong) is that over a certain distance from home point (1km or so) it skips the 60 seconds bit and just straight lines it home?

Always read your own DJI manual for complete RTH functions / behaviour, Spark, Mavic Pro, M2P all have subtle differences in RTH settings, minimum distance behaviour, and even the funny little short return path thing the M2P does if it loses controller connection, trying to reconnect signal.

The best way to get an accurate RTH (within cms) is to take off vertically up to approx 10m & hover. This allows it to record an accurate GPS & an image directly below itself.
Ps should point out that this is for a MA. not sure it’s the same for an MP

Yes, the MP does this for precision landing.

Reactions: ylmavicpro
The best way to get an accurate RTH (within cms) is to take off vertically up to approx 10m & hover. This allows it to record an accurate GPS & an image directly below itself. This has been demonstrated in a very good video somewhere on YouTube.

The Air has an option for an auto takeoff to record a precision home point and will auto launch to 7m.

The M2x will only ever auto launch to. 1.2m and then it’s up to the pilot to increase altitude to 10m to record a precision home point.

I’ve found that even non-precision is accurate to +/- 1’ or so but usually go for the precision option which is spooky as to how accurate it is.

It will try & retrace it’s flight path for the the first 60 seconds. If it fails to regain contact with the RC, it then straight lines the rest of the RTH.

Mavic 2 yes, Mavic Pro no. The Pro wont do a 60 second retrace. It also doesnt have APAS. The title of this thread says pro.

Ive seen RTH fail a few times by a few metres or drifting slightly in a swirly wind. A few of those it would have been in water or a tree if i hadnt taken over.
Usually its pretty good but there can be exceptions. More so if you didnt do a precision takeoff.

One more lesson learned: evaluate take off location in view of a fail safe RTH and auto landing scenario. Thank you.

Mavic 2 yes, Mavic Pro no. The Pro wont do a 60 second retrace. It also doesnt have APAS. The title of this thread says pro.

Ive seen RTH fail a few times by a few metres or drifting slightly in a swirly wind. A few of those it would have been in water or a tree if i hadnt taken over.
Usually its pretty good but there can be exceptions. More so if you didnt do a precision takeoff.
My mistake, but at least the differences are here for others to read

Hi, all there

I have been flying my mavic pro more than one year without much problems - I always thought it is really a marvelous bird. Two days ago I was flying in an open mountain site near a lake. By the third flight, the system showed "the aircraft lost connection ... ". I got a big panic and I remembered vaguely that one should shut down the apps and switch on again, it could connect again. I did - once, twice, no success. Later, way way too much later, I found my mavic in the middle of a brook. I don't know what caused this mishap. Here are the flight record .txt and .dat files, which I downloaded directly from my android phone.

I would be grateful, if your expert here can make an analysis for me: a mistake by the pilot or a system error.

thanks a lot!
When you buy a product that the company selling can contact and control NFZs for example, and they stand to make money repairing or replacing the product you own and they control, strange things can happen. DJI should be forced to butt out and relinquish all control to the purchaser or if things get out of control let the government control the drones, ut not someone who stands to make money for system failures.

Why should they be "forced" to do something? Its their product and they should act in the way that benefits them the most. And that at the moment involves making sure their drone and drone users adhere to national laws and regulations before the things get banned.
As a consumer, nobody is forcing you to buy a DJI product, its not a human right, there are other options available. If you don't like their product then you're welcome to buy someone elses (or not buy one at all, a drone isnt essential for daily life).

Why should they be "forced" to do something? Its their product and they should act in the way that benefits them the most. And that at the moment involves making sure their drone and drone users adhere to national laws and regulations before the things get banned.
As a consumer, nobody is forcing you to buy a DJI product, its not a human right, there are other options available. If you don't like their product then you're welcome to buy someone elses (or not buy one at all, a drone isnt essential for daily life).

Actually he appears to be asserting that DJI is controlling them remotely to cause them to crash, in order to profit from repairs. What could possibly go wrong with that business model?

Reactions: InvisibleName
Genius. Tin foil hat of the month award.

DJI dont need to remotely crash drones - most owners are really good at doing it themselves with no outside help.

Obviously it's the drones that need the tin foil hats to stop the DJI control. In fact they could make even more money if they sold those too.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661