DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My mavic suddenly wants to land

Reidarrs79

Reactions
As you se in my picture, I took a screenshot when i have this problem.
Sometimes this happens;
"Tap to cancel" do not work. The mavic comes slowly down and I can not stop it until I restart the mavic. I can go higher and fly wherever I want, but it descends when I let go of the remote.
Anyone who knows about my problem?

Attachments

• IMG_7272.jpg
    IMG_7272.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
It looks like your Mavic might be going into forced landing mode since the downward sensors are detecting the ground is near. You can confirm that by uploading and viewing your TXT flight log online here.

It looks like your Mavic might be going into forced landing mode since the downward sensors are detecting the ground is near. You can confirm that by uploading and viewing your TXT flight log online here.
This happens high up in the air....

This happens high up in air....
Your downward sensors think your Mavic is only 0.1 meters above the ground. You can see that in your screenshot here:

DJIGO.jpg

Reactions: MrsTreat and Kilrah
Had this happen to me yesterday. Was flying under a bridge about 8ft high but was low to the ground. All of a sudden it seemed to want to land in the water. I quickly took the Mavic up and it hit the bridge and fell into the water anyway.

At first I thought it may have been my fault but after reviewing the video w/ audio on my phone you can hear in the video that the app say that the drone was indeed landing.

Having the DJI Refresh Care I made a claim that it was operator error before reviewing the video on my phone, packed up the drone and shipped it off.

After seeing the video, I believe it was not my fault that it wanted to land and ultimately crashed. I called DJI and tried to explain the situation and to see if they could review my flight logs and the video. Got some mixed answers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Reidarrs79
Quick fix for this problem?
It depends on what is causing. Here are a few possible solutions:
  • Remove any 3rd party accessories that are installed under your Mavic
  • Clean the downward sensors if they are dirty
  • Calibrate the downward sensors in the DJI Assistant 2 application like this
  • Send your Mavic into DJI to be repaired if the sensors are faulty
FYI, you can prevent that automatic ascent/descent mid-flight by disabling the Landing Protection setting in the following section of DJI GO:

DJI-GO-Landing-Protection.jpg

Reactions: MrsTreat
At first I thought it may have been my fault but after reviewing the video w/ audio on my phone you can hear in the video that the app say that the drone was indeed landing.
The whole conclusion on that matter would depend on how high you were when it entered "landing" mode. It is normal for it to trigger (when the Landing Protection setting is turned on) when low enough. Water can confuse it and make it think it's lower than it really is, and as such is pretty widely documented that it's best turned off when flying over water.

Is it just my imagination or have I seen lots of posts scattered throughout the forum of Mavic going into landing mode over water? There may be a issue with the downward sensors getting fooled by the water thinking it's time to land.

Had this happen to me yesterday. Was flying under a bridge about 8ft high but was low to the ground. All of a sudden it seemed to want to land in the water. I quickly took the Mavic up and it hit the bridge and fell into the water anyway.

Having the DJI Refresh Care I made a claim that it was operator error before reviewing the video on my phone, packed up the drone and shipped it off.

After seeing the video, I believe it was not my fault that it wanted to land and ultimately crashed. I called DJI and tried to explain the situation and to see if they could review my flight logs and the video. Got some mixed answers.

You're flying over water so its your fault. The manual states the downward sensors get confused over reflective objects such as water and snow. And that's exactly what happened there.
The water confused the VPS into thinking it was low so it went into landing mode, you then took over control and performed an understandable but incorrect input which caused it to fly up.
Unfortunately thats operator error as its doing pretty much exactly what the manual says to watch out for.

Is it just my imagination or have I seen lots of posts scattered throughout the forum of Mavic going into landing mode over water? There may be a issue with the downward sensors getting fooled by the water thinking it's time to land.

Manual page 25. Its documented to the extent DJI even tells you about it in the user guide so it really shouldn't be a surprise to people.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    41.1 KB · Views: 33
Lesson learned, thanks for your input. Shipped the drone off shortly after it happened and used the Refresh Express. Let's see how long it will take for me to get my replacement. I was told turnaround is 7-10 days, but all I hear are the horror stories about how it takes months and the replacements they are sending out have issues. Keeping my fingers crossed!

These sensors seem to have so many issues....being fooled by sunlight etc. I never had them on the Phantom 3 and so always turn them off on the Mavic. I wonder how many crashes they're responsible for, the irony being that they are supposed to make flying safer!

Im guessing they've stopped a lot more crashes than they've caused. They do have limitations though, most of which are listed but nobody bothers reading.

Seems like there are several anomalies with obstacle avoidance. I ran into one the other day with my MP sensing a parked car - loosing connection between RC and MP and auto RTH. from log- (Downlink Restored (after 0m 47.9s); RTH: Ascending to avoid obstacle). I plan to turn it off for close quarter filming to avoid an un expected RTH.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d