DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My Mavic to a swim...

Teeman1533

Reactions
I over corrected the wrong direction and ran in to a tree. The Mavic and all of my pride fell in the pond below! I ran over as fast as I could to get it out, but it stayed under for a good 15-30 seconds. I am pretty sure it will be fine, minus the battery. The only thing I might need to do is take off the lens cover for the camera and clean the water off of the lens. With that said...

...I know the rice trick, and I've even heard about using a dehumidifier (which sounds very promising), but I'm wondering if anyone has used/heard of any other cool tricks for dewaterizing your Mavic?

Fly Safe, and don't panic if it gets wet!

I over corrected the wrong direction and ran in to a tree. The Mavic and all of my pride fell in the pond below! I ran over as fast as I could to get it out, but it stayed under for a good 15-30 seconds. I am pretty sure it will be fine, minus the battery. The only thing I might need to do is take off the lens cover for the camera and clean the water off of the lens. With that said...

...I know the rice trick, and I've even heard about using a dehumidifier (which sounds very promising), but I'm wondering if anyone has used/heard of any other cool tricks for dewaterizing your Mavic?

If you arent insured and you dont want to send it in for repair, best to take it apart and blow everything out with dry compressed air (some compressed air has moisture in it). Youre not going to be able to get inside the camera lens to get water out, so I hope you didnt get any in there or youre looking at having to buy a new camera body.

Here's how to disassemble the body:

Isopropyl Alcohol displaces water quite easily and then evaporates fast drying the Mavic fairly quickly.

Reactions: Teeman1533
If you arent insured and you dont want to send it in for repair, best to take it apart and blow everything out with dry compressed air (some compressed air has moisture in it). Youre not going to be able to get inside the camera lens to get water out, so I hope you didnt get any in there or youre looking at having to buy a new camera body.

Here's how to disassemble the body:

Man, it's great that you share this information.

I know it's your business.

Good karma.

Isopropyl Alcohol displaces water quite easily and then evaporates fast drying the Mavic fairly quickly.
That's a great idea, I never thought of using it.

Could you use it with rice, or a dehumidifier to speed up the process?

This guy had his mavic under water for 6 days, and after leaving it in rice for 3 days its fine. Fresh water is usually fine. Salt water is the issue.

Sorry to hear about your accident but I have a segestion. When you get it flying again It's not a good idea to fly with the gimble cover on. Besides the glare it creates it also blocks the vents that keep the Mavic cool. I have read several articles and plenty of videos about this. Heat will definitely decrease the life of any electronics.

Really......? Don't panic? You need more than rice.
Everything is working fine except for the battery. I was very surprised.

I say don't panic yh
This guy had his mavic under water for 6 days, and after leaving it in rice for 3 days its fine. Fresh water is usually fine. Salt water is the issue.

That's amazing...sometimes you have luck on your side!

I
Sorry to hear about your accident but I have a segestion. When you get it flying again It's not a good idea to fly with the gimble cover on. Besides the glare it creates it also blocks the vents that keep the Mavic cool. I have read several articles and plenty of videos about this. Heat will definitely decrease the life of any electronics.
I have read a lot of the same about the gimbal cover, and I never liked it on in the first place. I don't think it would have made much difference had I had it on when the Mavic fell in to the pond.

Was this the maiden flight after posting your hello to the forum? :eek:

Anyway, hope you get back out there again soon Thumbswayup

Venom
It was not my maiden flight, but yes, it was after my hello posting. Thanks for the well wishes, maybe today is the day to get back in the air!

You can sit wet items in front of a refridgerator near the bottom grill and it will suck the moisture right out of them .

You can sit wet items in front of a refridgerator near the bottom grill and it will suck the moisture right out of them .
I have never heard of that, but that's a good idea. Thanks for the post.

I have never heard of that, but that's a good idea. Thanks for the post.

Yeah , most bikers can attest to this . Whenever we used to get caught in the rain we would put our boots etc at the bottom of a fridge and next morning they would be dry .

Yeah , most bikers can attest to this . Whenever we used to get caught in the rain we would put our boots etc at the bottom of a fridge and next morning they would be dry .

As a Fridge Engineer over here in the UK, I'll agree with the principal of all refrigerators removing moisture. The one thing I would be careful of though is that if you take something out of a cold area into a warm humid area, condensation will form on the coldest parts so you could end up pulling moisture back into your drone and settling on the metallic components or PCBs.

Using a dehumidifier avoids the above as after cooling the air (and the moisture condensing on the evaporator, into a collector) the dehumidifier then warms the air circulated back up thus removing the risk of physically cooling the components.

It's not something you'd see on a pair of boots as there are less metallic parts.....

Just my 2c (2p in the UK ;))

Venom

Reactions: rydfree
^ all good points as well .

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member