DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My Mavic Was Shot Out of the Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's quantify this and agree that "gun owners" and "air gun owners" are two entirely different groups of people. True "gun owners" still look great!
Not when someone threatens to shoot my drone down with his shotgun. BTW I am a gun owner too, a concealed carry permit holder as well. I just find it odd that some gun owners think that its ok to shoot at drones even if its in public like my co-worker threatened to do. It goes against all safety rules. He gave off this vibe like i'm a creep, should I have gave him this look like hes gonna shoot up the place because he owns a gun? No, he was judging me right off the bat just like some anti-gun people do, judging people because they own a tool and not by what they do or have done.

Reactions: newnan3 and Egika
You know I don't think the "gun people" get how ironic it is that they judge drones enthusiasts. Most drone users probably aren't spying on people, most gun owners are responsible non-mass shooters.

I consider myself a "gun person" for the record btw.

For sure! Gun owner here, and also Mavic owner. Both are awesome!

Ok everyone. I've been too busy lately with other happenings in life to address this issue. I didn't want to leave you all hanging, so for now I've decided to just move on. Hopefully all is fine internally and I don't take a random plunge out of the sky.

As for the video, I don't care if you think I was in the wrong for flying over this property. I wasn't as per the FAA and local county sheriff's office. Any future endeavor to ridicule me or my choices will be ignored. Have fun being a troll.

Now that I've said my peace, feel free to watch for yourself. And please, anyone that's better than me with video editing, feel free to bring out details that are difficult to see in the video. I promise they're there. At exactly 2:32 watch the right edge of the video closely. He is peeping out from under the porch cover taking aim at my Mavic. I believe this is where he landed the first shot. Watch the darkness under the cover, just left of center, of the back porch roughly around 3:48. It's a little difficult to see because it is so black there and my video is shaky likely due to the imbalance of the blades. I zoomed in on that area in the video in VLC and you can clearly see him pumping up an air rifle. Also, feel free to share any further thoughts or suggestions. Cheers!

You were not just flying by or anything like that you were sitting there! You could have very well prevented that by just going on and not just sitting there taking video. You were just "throwing rocks at the bees nest"

Reactions: AyeYo and Kennetf
You were not just flying by or anything like that you were sitting there! You could have very well prevented that by just going on and not just sitting there taking video.
I didn't see him with the rifle until I watched the video back. You have to remember, I'm flying by the screen of an iPhone in that same sunlight. I could hardly see as it was. I brought it home and threw the video up on a 34" monitor. THAT'S where I saw it.

The deputy that came to my house said something similar. His comment was "ya know, if I had a thousand dollar drone and I saw someone taking aim at it, I wouldn't stick around to see if they were serious about pulling the trigger." Well no kidding. I wouldn't either if I could have seen the guy. I thought he had just gone inside the house.

Reactions: kbfromlv
From somebody living that way i would expect more a stone or a spear instead of a rifle......that said i would be very irritated by a drone flying over my head for so long and spying into my property.

Reactions: newnan3
Like I said he could have prevented this by just going on away from the guys place. That's all I'm done with it.

Reactions: AyeYo
And girls dressing in short skirts asking for being raped? Really? It that what you think?
Sorry. There is no excuse for anyone shooting at anything belonging to other's!

And what's the excuse to violate others privacy?

Reactions: AyeYo
From somebody living that way i would expect more a stone or a spear instead of a rifle......that said i would be very irritated by a drone flying over my head for so long and spying into my property.

And you can see him throwing something like a stone in the beginning of the video

IF someone is violating others privacy (which is debatable here), it still is no excuse to shoot.

In my book what the OP is doing IS violating other's privacy: he didn't fly over the property, he stopped there for 1,2,3,4 + minutes and even when he saw the owner annoyed by the drone, he kept there. This is as wrong as shooting down the drone.

Reactions: AyeYo and newnan3
Ok everyone. I've been too busy lately with other happenings in life to address this issue. I didn't want to leave you all hanging, so for now I've decided to just move on. Hopefully all is fine internally and I don't take a random plunge out of the sky.

As for the video, I don't care if you think I was in the wrong for flying over this property. I wasn't as per the FAA and local county sheriff's office. Any future endeavor to ridicule me or my choices will be ignored. Have fun being a troll.

Now that I've said my peace, feel free to watch for yourself. And please, anyone that's better than me with video editing, feel free to bring out details that are difficult to see in the video. I promise they're there. At exactly 2:32 watch the right edge of the video closely. He is peeping out from under the porch cover taking aim at my Mavic. I believe this is where he landed the first shot. Watch the darkness under the cover, just left of center, of the back porch roughly around 3:48. It's a little difficult to see because it is so black there and my video is shaky likely due to the imbalance of the blades. I zoomed in on that area in the video in VLC and you can clearly see him pumping up an air rifle. Also, feel free to share any further thoughts or suggestions. Cheers!

How did you get the drone back? Good video of that Hill Billy at the end.

My take on it, The guy should not have shot the Mavic down. HOWEVER.......This kind of flying behavior is why people do not like Drones. If the pilot had done a fly over and the landowner took a shot and got lucky, big issue. But clearly he hovered over this guys property with the full intent of looking at it. He saw the guy, he saw him throw rocks or whatever at it. Should have just flown away

I say both were wrong and both should just move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JesseLaw