DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My Mavic2 IS DOWN IN THE RIVER

I spent the worst Easter day of my life. Surely worse things can happen but 1500 euros thrown into the water are not few. What happened ? I still didn't understand it but my drone was at 30mt altitude from water and suddenly landed in the water ,totally out of control. Everything happened a few meters from me. Unfortunately it was not possible to recover the drone in any way .The firmware is the last version .
I want to clarify that I am not a newbie and I flew at least 300 times with this drone and as many with another drone from another brand
Hi Marco. I lost my drone in a river last spring on a high river and was at first not able to recover it. I went back over the next 2 months watching as the river went down with no luck. A few weeks later someone phone me and said they have found something that belongs to me. Someone found it because I had my info on the side of the drone and phoned me. Don't give up hope yet. I hope you marked your drone so if someone finds can contact you. I sent it back to DJI and they replaced it after being in the water for 3 months. I hope this works out for you. when this happened to me it felt like someone kicked me in the stomach. I It was my fault that my drone went into the river (ha ha) pilot error.

Reactions: Drone dude
Hi Marco. I lost my drone in a river last spring on a high river and was at first not able to recover it. I went back over the next 2 months watching as the river went down with no luck. A few weeks later someone phone me and said they have found something that belongs to me. Someone found it because I had my info on the side of the drone and phoned me. Don't give up hope yet. I hope you marked your drone so if someone finds can contact you. I sent it back to DJI and they replaced it after being in the water for 3 months. I hope this works out for you. when this happened to me it felt like someone kicked me in the stomach. I It was my fault that my drone went into the river (ha ha) pilot error.
Unfortunately I did not mark my name on the drone. I will continue to look for it surely. Unfortunately, on Easter Sunday, after a good meal, I was too careless and certainly I paid dearly for this ... thanks

Marco: As the others have said, it makes us all very sad to read about such events. FWIW, I lost an M1 to excessive winds and no excuse, I did know better so don't be hard on yourself. If you get another, I would recommend drone insurance from someone.

BTW, how long had you been flying when the autoland occurred?
I had the SAME problem with my Mavic 2 Pro. Was in tripod mode, very slowly moving backward about 1 1/2 feet above a pond. As it neared the bank where I was standing, "it said" "LANDING"...Since it was so low there was not enough time to about landing and it "landed on a marshy bank" in about 2 inches of water.

I quickly recovered it aand dried it off. No physical damage although as it was "landing" the rear props nicked some tall grass-like plant.

I let it dry out at home for a few days and turned it on. It went through gimbal dance and all, but did not beep and would not connect to my smart controller.

I sent it to drone Nerds for repair.

Drone Nerds said they cannot replace anything with water damage and that it has to go to DJI.

I opened a case with DJI online.

Then I received a quote for $1180. *they didn't even have the drone yet !)

They they said I'll get a discount and I only have to pay $812.

I asked what items needed repair and/or replacement and how much labor time at what rate.

I went back and forth many times via email, explaining that this was a malfunction. Uncommanded auto landing.

I am experienced with flying drones with over 1000 flights logged with AirData.

I said that this should be warranty.

They said to send them the log file.

I said YOU HAVE THE LOG FILE on my Smart ControllerI included with the Mavic 2 Pro.

They repeatedly asked for the log file and I repeated that they have the Smart Controller.

They said if I don't pay the invoice, they will send it back unrepaired.

That took 3 weeks to get to that point.

I finally paid their $812 ransom.

This is h ow DJI operated. I have had similar issues with this scam before..

Don't you think you can say something exaggerated? Don't you think the drone can improve by avoiding this type of accident? It would be enough for the drone to start moving from its position only with 11 satellites .... do you think it is an impossible thing to do ???
I know that I have my share of guilt but I am here to avoid repeating my mistake to others but .... the best way would be for Dji to put a patch .... at least I believe this

I'm not sure what you are asking. The poster I was replying to said that he had exactly the same thing happen as you did. That was what happened in your case.

It would have been avoided if you had read the manual and followed the advice to check your location for flight restrictions, waited for the onscreen GPS level to get to 5, and waited until the home point had been properly recorded before taking off. The situation could still have been recovered had you flown the aircraft back to shore when the autolanding kicked in, but instead you flew it away from the shore.

So, at this point, complaining that the aircraft should be improved to prevent all your mistakes from resulting in landing in the river is not reasonable.

I'm not sure what you are asking. The poster I was replying to said that he had exactly the same thing happen as you did. That was what happened in your case.

It would have been avoided if you had read the manual and followed the advice to check your location for flight restrictions, waited for the onscreen GPS level to get to 5, and waited until the home point had been properly recorded before taking off. The situation could still have been recovered had you flown the aircraft back to shore when the autolanding kicked in, but instead you flew it away from the shore.

So, at this point, complaining that the aircraft should be improved to prevent all your mistakes from resulting in landing in the river is not reasonable.

I think you understood very little. I didn't say I didn't make mistakes, on the contrary ... but only that security can be improved. 20 years ago cars were less safe than today, don't you agree? I also want to remind you that after 5 seconds the home position was recorded regularly. There were not 5 satellites but 8 ... had to be 10 to be quiet ?? Where is this written?Why if it takes 10 satellites to be safe, the drone flies instead of standing still? . Why should the drone suddenly land instead of being guided for at least 30 seconds at low altitude ??

Last edited:
I think you understood very little. I didn't say I didn't make mistakes, on the contrary ... but only that security can be improved. 20 years ago cars were less safe than today, don't you agree? I also want to remind you that after 5 seconds the home position was recorded regularly. There were not 5 satellites but 8 ... had to be 10 to be quiet ?? Where is this written? I didn't read it. Why should the drone suddenly land even at low altitude ABOVE A RIVER when it would not hurt a fly?

I wasn't referring to the number of satellites - I was referring to the navigation health level - the number of bars. I'm afraid that I don't have the patience to help you any further. The precise time line and causes of this event were explained a number of times by several posters in this thread. There is no point debating how the system could be improved if you don't even understand how it works.

Reactions: Torcan and Pietros
I wasn't referring to the number of satellites - I was referring to the navigation health level - the number of bars. I'm afraid that I don't have the patience to help you any further. The precise time line and causes of this event were explained a number of times by several posters in this thread. There is no point debating how the system could be improved if you don't even understand how it works.
Surely I am ignorant and up to now I have had so much luck because I did not understand what bars you are referring to. If you go to see the log the bars present were 4 of 5 ..

I had the SAME problem with my Mavic 2 Pro. Was in tripod mode, very slowly moving backward about 1 1/2 feet above a pond. As it neared the bank where I was standing, "it said" "LANDING"...Since it was so low there was not enough time to about landing and it "landed on a marshy bank" in about 2 inches of water.

I quickly recovered it aand dried it off. No physical damage although as it was "landing" the rear props nicked some tall grass-like plant.

I let it dry out at home for a few days and turned it on. It went through gimbal dance and all, but did not beep and would not connect to my smart controller.

Drone Nerds said they cannot replace anything with water damage and that it has to go to DJI.

I asked what items needed repair and/or replacement and how much labor time at what rate.

I went back and forth many times via email, explaining that this was a malfunction. Uncommanded auto landing.

I said YOU HAVE THE LOG FILE on my Smart ControllerI included with the Mavic 2 Pro.

They repeatedly asked for the log file and I repeated that they have the Smart Controller.

I already contacted Dji today and they are evaluating my case. Thanks for your informations

I spent the worst Easter day of my life. Surely worse things can happen but 1500 euros thrown into the water are not few. What happened ? I still didn't understand it but my drone was at 30mt altitude from water and suddenly landed in the water ,totally out of control. Everything happened a few meters from me. Unfortunately it was not possible to recover the drone in any way .The firmware is the last version .
I want to clarify that I am not a newbie and I flew at least 300 times with this drone and as many with another drone from another brand
I feel bad for your loss, I know I would be devastated beyond belief since I am retired, on a fixed income and could not afford a replacement.

Sorry for your loss. I hope you figure out what what happened.

I always fly with my float kit over water.
They have helped me recover my Mavic Pro, and my Mavic 2 Pro, both of which are still flying today.

Mike

Sorry about you loss, but bottom line is always follow rules and regulations..eg. satellite locks , home point activation, NFZ. Follow them first that we help you argue other unreasonable specifications. Right now you dont have case only excuses.
If I bypass one notification warning and my bird falls, it's my responsibility. I try to be in the clear before I rip DJI apart with complaints about anything.
Good luck

I think you understood very little. I didn't say I didn't make mistakes, on the contrary ... but only that security can be improved. 20 years ago cars were less safe than today, don't you agree? I also want to remind you that after 5 seconds the home position was recorded regularly. There were not 5 satellites but 8 ... had to be 10 to be quiet ?? Where is this written?Why if it takes 10 satellites to be safe, the drone flies instead of standing still? . Why should the drone suddenly land instead of being guided for at least 30 seconds at low altitude ??
Maybe you should have waited another 10 years before purchasing a drone, I am sure you would then have all those security features. Geez, I bet by then the drone will even unbox itself and fly with voice command. DJI has come a long way in the last 10 years, just like anything, technology gets better, its not perfect, it probably never will be, someone will alwyas find something that could make it better. sar104 explained everything, the rest of us understand completely. Read the manual, then read it again, and then read it a third time.

Surely I am ignorant and up to now I have had so much luck because I did not understand what bars you are referring to. If you go to see the log the bars present were 4 of 5 ..

Marco. Sar104 is possibly one of the most knowledgeable users of the DJI platform. To insult him is at best ignorant. He helped. He explained and regardless of your opinions, he needs a solid Thank You. So just in case you can’t bring yourself to say it, here’s a Thank you from me to Sar104.

Reactions: Torcan
Marco. Sar104 is possibly one of the most knowledgeable users of the DJI platform. To insult him is at best ignorant. He helped. He explained and regardless of your opinions, he needs a solid Thank You. So just in case you can’t bring yourself to say it, here’s a Thank you from me to Sar104.

Thanks for the endorsement. To be fair there may be a language barrier here but, despite that, I see someone with unrealistic expectations and in denial.

Reactions: JoostGT3 and Torcan

LOL. I have had similar conversations with DJI. I know they are a China based company but man they need better representation in the US.

Even when you call their office in California, it's so difficult to get help.

That really is not a good day!! I had a similar event take place about the same time. My M2 also went into the river. In my case though my M2 went into the river the very second the count down to begin a live FB feed completed. My M2 immediately flipped over dropped like a rock disappearing under the waves never to be seen again. I did attempt to restart while falling but to no avail . I have contacted DJI and at their request have forwarded my flight logs to their fly away team. I did have DJI care but not sure how applicable that is without a carcass. You might want to contact DJI and forward your flight logs just to see what can be learned.

That really is not a good day!! I had a similar event take place about the same time. My M2 also went into the river. In my case though my M2 went into the river the very second the count down to begin a live FB feed completed. My M2 immediately flipped over dropped like a rock disappearing under the waves never to be seen again. I did attempt to restart while falling but to no avail . I have contacted DJI and at their request have forwarded my flight logs to their fly away team. I did have DJI care but not sure how applicable that is without a carcass. You might want to contact DJI and forward your flight logs just to see what can be learned.

That doesn't sound similar at all, but without the flight logs it's just an anecdotal curiosity.

Reactions: Drone dude
Yeh I'd jump into a river too if someone tried to put me on Facebook ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000