DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My Mavic2 IS DOWN IN THE RIVER

Reactions
I spent the worst Easter day of my life. Surely worse things can happen but 1500 euros thrown into the water are not few. What happened ? I still didn't understand it but my drone was at 30mt altitude from water and suddenly landed in the water ,totally out of control. Everything happened a few meters from me. Unfortunately it was not possible to recover the drone in any way .The firmware is the last version .
I want to clarify that I am not a newbie and I flew at least 300 times with this drone and as many with another drone from another brand

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
What happened ? I still didn't understand it but my drone suddenly landed in the water and was out of control.
Check out your TXT flight log to see if it explains what happened. You can upload and view it online here. If you'd like other people to review and comment on your flight log, then please post a link back here after you upload it.

I spent the worst Easter day of my life. Surely worse things can happen but 1500 euros thrown into the water are not few. What happened ? I still didn't understand it but my drone suddenly landed in the water and was out of control. Everything happened a few meters from me. Unfortunately it was not possible to recover the drone in any way .The firmware is the last version

I’m sorry for your loss [emoji15] did you tried to push the pause button when the landing started?

Check out your TXT flight log to see if it explains what happened. You can upload and view it online here. If you'd like other people to review and comment on your flight log, then please post a link back here after you upload it.

Yes but what can it change ?? My drone could not be recovered so DJI will never give me my money back

Reactions: SLP_STUDIOS
I’m sorry for your loss [emoji15] did you tried to push the pause button when the landing started?

No ,the landing phase lasted only a few seconds. I had only time to check if it was possible to stop the landing but there was no warning on the display. The drone rotated only on itself and went down. I searched for over two hours in the icy water of the river

Last edited:
Flight Data will set you free.

Marco: As the others have said, it makes us all very sad to read about such events. FWIW, I lost an M1 to excessive winds and no excuse, I did know better so don't be hard on yourself. If you get another, I would recommend drone insurance from someone.

BTW, how long had you been flying when the autoland occurred?

Yes but what can it change ?? My drone could not be recovered so DJI will never give me my money back

Sorry to hear about our loss. If you post the log here and it shows a hardware failure in the drone you will at least have data to take to DJI to support your claim for replacement.

If it "rotated" and the landing took "only few seconds" from 30m altitude and there was nothing on the screen - then it was not a "landing"
No ,the landing phase lasted only a few seconds. I had only time to check if it was possible to stop the landing but there was no warning on the display. The drone rotated only on itself and went down. I searched for over two hours in the icy water of the river

In your original post above, you asked what happened. In many cases, the flight log helps answer that question. And if the flight log shows the possibility of fault on DJI's end, DJI might replace your Mavic or offer to give your a credit toward a replacement.

Well you could get your M2 replaced if the fault lies with DJI and is not operator error. Without the flight logs nobody will be able to corroborate your story. Not to mention regardless of who is at fault we can all learn from your incident.

I have already read about many incidents similar to mine where unfortunately dji has only made a small discount. Youtube is full and various forums - I don't care about the discount, I am deeply disappointed

I'm away from home and I don't have a PC to post the log file. I have, however seen the flight recording on my smartphone. The small flight lasts only 2 minutes. The battery is at 70% and only the message appears briefly before landing in the water of the river is " obstacle avoidance will be disabled in landing " .Then after few seconds the drone is down

The "needs to be recovered" is for care refresh claims given that it is a "no question asked" insurance that even covers pilot errors and you don't need to prove anything wrong with the aircraft, but they have to get the aircraft back otherwise it would be too easy to defraud them by saying "I lost it" and get a new one for just the excess when you actually still have it.

If logs show an actual problem which qualifies as a warranty issue there have been cases reported here of them replacing it either at no cost or with a discount. So you should work on getting those.

Last edited:
I'm away from home and I don't have a PC to post the log file. I have, however seen the flight recording on my smartphone. The small flight lasts only 2 minutes. The battery is at 70% and only the message appears briefly before landing in the water of the river is " obstacle avoidance will be disabled in landing " .Then after few seconds the drone is down
I’m thinking way lower than 30m. Please do post your logs. The experts here are very good. Just a few weeks ago a bloke came on stating he was totally at fault and made a mistake, but interrogation of his logs showed him to not be at fault and he was able to apply for warranty and received brand new bird.
Plus, as already stated, we all learn from these logs being interpreted for us.

was the drone within 10 metre of your take off point. I had an issue where I lost connection, as it was within 10m of takeoff point it automatically landed rather than RTH. unfortunately was over a rockpool.

I lost connection because the controller wasn't on correct update, even though I was allowed to take off.

Doesn't help get drone back but might explain why it landed.

Reactions: Mavic 57
It's always bad to lose a drone, but it's worse to lose it without knowing why.
Learning what was behind the incident is valuable information to help for future flying.
And believe it or not, in some circumstances you can even have a successful warranty claim even without the drone ... but only where the flight data shows the cause of the incident was a DJI issue.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Distantdoc