DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My new Crystalsky mount design...

Badgersurfer

Reactions
As the Crystalsky Ultra is pretty heavy I found it fatigued my old hands after a while. I did a search on the Internet and looked at available commercial items and to be honest most was heavy, over-complicated oriental kak, resembling medieval torture instruments.
So it was to the drawing board...
This is my prototype of which is made from 1 A4 sheet Black 5mm foam board 10*40mm aluminium tube and a stainless steel 8*15mm ferrrel. 1 2.5mm split tension pin and 2*22m split rings.
I was going to use carbon fibre tube but the difference in weight is negligible along with the acrylic sheet to be used in phase 2.
The whole thing weighs in at 54g.
Phase 2 will be made out of 3mm acrylic sheet the board is slotted to allow the 3 items to be slotted together thus laying flat.
I had to design it so that your hands were unimpeded underneath the controller and also giving you quick access the screen.
This is why the support beam is 40mm wide. It seems to work great and also the tray holds the unit 70mm away from your stomach preventing the CS cable being knocked and at the same time giving you a better viewing angle.
Also the C of G is central so all the load is on the neck strap and none on your hands. At this stage I have not designed hand rests into it but that may be an option if I needed.
Here are a few pictures...

20200612_111731.jpg
20200612_111803.jpg
20200612_111822.jpg
20200612_111652.jpg

Last edited:
How does the CS sit on top of the mount ?

How does the CS sit on top of the mount ?
I use the standard PGYTECH mavic crystalsky mount to hold the monitor... and then my mount slides in underneath and slips into the 2 3mm slots in the controller. It would slides under most mount I reckon like the polar pro one as well. So basically it acts as a tray supporting the whole unit....
These are pictures of the complete PGYTECH mount I use... pgytech mount 2.jpg
pgytech mount 1.jpg

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
Phase 2... 3mm clear acrylic, ready for field testing. It is just 3 flat pieces that slot together. I will probably make a locking mech but it is not essential as it only acts as a tray to take the load but your are still holding the unit.
I will put the plan up if anyone wants it. I used my CNC but a coping/jig/band, drill and needle file will suffice.

phase-2-1-jpg.104511

20200612_213651.jpg

Attachments

• phase 2 1.jpg
    phase 2 1.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 128
Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
I use the standard PGYTECH mavic crystalsky mount to hold the monitor... and then my mount slides in underneath and slips into the 2 3mm slots in the controller. It would slides under most mount I reckon like the polar pro one as well. So basically it acts as a tray supporting the whole unit....
These are pictures of the complete PGYTECH mount I use... View attachment 104507
View attachment 104508

This is how I use mine

20200613_094521_resized[9416] small - Copy.jpg

Below is a stock photo of the PGYTECH CrystalSky mount with a 7.85" attached. It was the first, and likely the most secure, mount I tried---I tried four mounts before giving up. I was unable to locate a mount that would (1) provide a way to attach a neck strap, and (2) allow me to view the controller along with the CS.

For some unknown reason, DJI chose to place the neck strap attaching points on the right side of the 7.85" CS, making the points useless as a strap attachment location. DJI replied to my email and said the two points are for "accessories" when they become available. As you probably know, there are no accessories available for the 7.85" which would utilize these side mounted points and likely never will be.

I was able to find mounts that provided a strap attaching point which was located on the mount but they resulted in a very unbalanced setup. None placed the CS in a position where I could easily see both it and the controller. I ended up using a tripod and a quality 6' cable to mount my 7.85" CS and have been quite pleased with the combination. I added this lanyard (about $8) which allows me to free my hands to access screen inputs. Unfortunately, it's no longer available from Amazon but I reckon it or something similar is available elsewhere. added: there are several on eBay (China) and one from Amazon (Canada.)

I would still be interested in a mount that would meet my two requirements but so far the search has been unsuccessful.

PGYTECH CrystalSkyMount.jpg

Last edited:
Below is a stock photo of the PGYTECH CrystalSky mount with a 7.85" attached. It was the first, and likely the most secure, mount I tried---I tried four mounts before giving up. I was unable to locate a mount that would (1) provide a way to attach a neck strap, and (2) allow me to view the controller along with the CS.

For some unknown reason, DJI chose to place the neck strap attaching points on the right side of the 7.85" CS, making the points useless as a strap attachment location. DJI replied to my email and said the two points are for "accessories" when they become available. As you probably know, there are no accessories available for the 7.85" which would utilize these side mounted points and likely never will be.

I was able to find mounts that provided a strap attaching point which was located on the mount but they resulted in a very unbalanced setup. None placed the CS in a position where I could easily see both it and the controller. I ended up using a tripod and a quality 6' cable to mount my 7.85" CS and have been quite pleased with the combination. I added this lanyard (about $8) which allows me to free my hands to access screen inputs. Unfortunately, it's no longer available from Amazon but I reckon it or something similar is available elsewhere. added: there are several on eBay (China) and one from Amazon (Canada.)

I would still be interested in a mount that would meet my two requirements but so far the search has been unsuccessful.

View attachment 104550
Have you looked at either the Evolution3D Crystalsky mount or the Lifthor Sif CS III?

Yes
Evo—unbalanced
Lifthor—too expensive
? Balanced and expense weren't in your list of 2 requirements. ;)

The EVO does not have a useable neck strap mount.
Ya got me on the expensive Lithor
?

I just ordered the Sky Fire Aerial Deluxe/CS adapter rig. My stock DJI CS/controller mount has lasted since 2017. The short USB cable finally gave out from all the bending.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato