DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My plan

Droniac

*see avatar: I’ve Crashed more than a Drone 🙄
Reactions
I’ve created my M3 purchase plan:

1) see what the “big noises” say on the forum as usually. Make my own determinations
2) hold the cards I’m dealt
3) January watch for those app upgrades
4) continue to try and convince myself that it doesn’t warrant that inflated price.
5) buy 4 more Mavic2Pro batteries! 🤷🏻

Btw no offense meant by “big noises”. “Wiseguy” speak for important people in the know. Just in case there’s a misunderstanding. Mi dispiace. Godspeed, Droniac ✌🏼

Last edited:

1) see what the “big noises” say on the forum as usually. Make my own determinations
4) continue to try and convince myself that it doesn’t warrant that inflated price.
I'm just gonna name my Air 2s an Air 3-1s and that's my plan!🤣🤣🤣🤣

I just think about the 4 and forget all about the 3
I’ll admit it’s wise council. I’ve always appreciated your input on the forum in the past, as well.

But @hiflyer201, I’m DOING THE BEST I CAN!! and thanks! 😫

Btw no offense meant by “big noises”. “Wiseguy” speak for important people in the know. Just in case there’s a misunderstanding. Mi dispiace. Godspeed, Droniac ✌🏼
My plan is to sell off my Mini 2 (it is brand new and used only for a two week vacation to Africa because I could get it through customs), Then wait until all of the firmware is available after January. Then sell off my M2P for a reasonable amount (it too is sort of new), and put that money towards the M3. I am in no rush and I am not really that expert of a flyer to really need everything the M3 has to offer. I really don't need 5K for example nor will I ever fly 3 x 46 minutes batteries or thousands of kilometers. My iMAC can barely handle 4K huge files for a 24 minute film.

Dale
Miami

Last edited:
My plan is to sell off my Mini 2 (it is brand new and used only for a two week vacation to Africa because I could get it through customs), Then wait until all of the firmware is available after January. Then sell off my M2P for a reasonable amount (it too is sort of new), and put that money towards the M3. I am in no rush and I am not really that expert of a flyer to really need everything the M3 has to offer. I really don't need 5K for example nor will I ever fly 3 x 46 minutes batteries or thousands of kilometers. My iMAC can barely handle 4K huge files for a 24 minute film.

Dale
Miami
It’s a good plan ! 🤷🏻 Your rationale spot on imo. What will you take on you’re next global safari ? Looking forward to seeing more awesome results for certain. Godspeed, Droniac

It’s a good plan ! 🤷🏻 Your rationale spot on imo. What will you take on you’re next global safari ? Looking forward to seeing more awesome results for certain. Godspeed, Droniac
I am throwing my cares to the winds! I will be taking a big drone- e.g.: either my existing Mavic 2 Pro or if I get the M3, then I'll take the M3. Flying over the Atacama Desert in Chile, and over the Moai (statutes) in Easter Island would be a dream and there's some fantastic scenery there. I hated using the puny Mini 2 in Africa. I had trouble with bringing up the settings, I was frustrated with the lack of aperture control of the M2P, and I did not have my big screen (9 1/2 inch iPad). I will be releasing the African video to the forum this week -end, I think.

Put me in that dream of Easter Island,, WOW ! that trip alone Dale is a Bucket List for many, That is UFO country, lol

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Capture the Storm.

Put me in that dream of Easter Island,, WOW ! that trip alone Dale is a Bucket List for many, That is UFO country, lol

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Capture the Stor
I am throwing my cares to the winds! I will be taking a big drone- e.g.: either my existing Mavic 2 Pro or if I get the M3, then I'll take the M3. Flying over the Atacama Desert in Chile, and over the Moai (statutes) in Easter Island would be a dream and there's some fantastic scenery there. I hated using the puny Mini 2 in Africa. I had trouble with bringing up the settings, I was frustrated with the lack of aperture control of the M2P, and I did not have my big screen (9 1/2 inch iPad). I will be releasing the African video to the forum this week -end, I think.
if I’m not mistaken if I lose 15 lbs I can surely fit in that overhead compartment and potentially come with you? I can be your spotter ! Very exciting !! You’re an incognito wild man. You’ve been exposed (pun intended 😆) I’ll work on my agoraphobia until then. 👍🏻

• Haha
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Phantom Rain- Right now we have already booked the Atacama part of the trip. Miami to Santiago. But LATAM is the only airlines flying to Easter Island. They have shut down the flights (covid) but there is a big chance they will open in time for the trip which is in late March-early April 2022. If they don't open, then Easter Island is canceled and we will switch to Lake Titicaca in Bolivia.

Me, too.

I just watched a one-hour public television program that incorporated aerial video of a nearby undeveloped island. It was stunning on a 50" television. National Geographic quality level. I tracked down the videographer and found out that he shot it all with a Mini 2 with only minor post processing. If 2.7k video looks that good, I think the 4k and 5.4k on my Air 2S are more than adequate for me. (I do realize that the M3 has better low-light performance.)

The M3's extended flight time would be nice for long hyperlapses, but not for most of my flights. 20 minutes of useful flight time is fine for most work, especially when honoring the VLOS requirement.

Variable aperture seemed like a great feature, but other than added convenience when stopping down to achieve motion blur in video, I don't see that it's a game changer for most drone work, since most shots are at a longer distance and depth of field control is seldom a factor.

The 7X optical zoom on the second camera sounded like a wonderful feature, but it's limited to auto exposure mode and the only variable zoom is digital. While the 28X digital zoom (aka cropping) is useful for looking around during a flight, it's not going to produce good photographs.

All the "coming in January" features on the M3 are a disappointment. I'm guessing they rushed it to the market for Christmas and end-of-the-year sales. And that makes me wonder whether it's better to wait to see what software and hardware glitches show up in the early production runs.

I've asked myself what I could do with a M3 if I had one right now that I couldn't do with the Air 2S. I haven't come up with enough benefits to justify the higher cost, greater size and weight, and uncertainty about unreleased features and bugs.

But, like @Droniac, I'm eager to hear about the experiences and thoughts of those who fly the M3.

-------------------------
EDIT: I should have mentioned the improved proximity sensors on the M3. They're unquestionably a great advantage over those on the Air 2S.

Last edited:
I think the only thing is that you under Estimate is how nice a 2 x and even 4 x zoom is when taking photos . I think about how many times the Mini 2 zoom in picture had the better frame for the shot .

Its hard to argue with the rest and so far the Air 2S is holding it #1 Position with everyone.
I get mine today sometime , I have to treat it like a crippled step child. lol

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Capture the Wind .

• Love
Reactions: Droniac
Me, too.

I just watched a one-hour public television program that incorporated aerial video of a nearby undeveloped island. It was stunning on a 50" television. National Geographic quality level. I tracked down the videographer and found out that he shot it all with a Mini 2 with only minor post processing. If 2.7k video looks that good, I think the 4k and 5.4k on my Air 2S are more than adequate for me. (I do realize that the M3 has better low-light performance.)

The M3's extended flight time would be nice for long hyperlapses, but not for most of my flights. 20 minutes of useful flight time is fine for most work, especially when honoring the VLOS requirement.

Variable aperture seemed like a great feature, but other than added convenience when stopping down to achieve motion blur in video, I don't see that it's a game changer for most drone work, since most shots are at a longer distance and depth of field control is seldom a factor.

The 7X optical zoom on the second camera sounded like a wonderful feature, but it's limited to auto exposure mode and the only variable zoom is digital. While the 28X digital zoom (aka cropping) is useful for looking around during a flight, it's not going to produce good photographs.

All the "coming in January" features on the M3 are a disappointment. I'm guessing they rushed it to the market for Christmas and end-of-the-year sales. And that makes me wonder whether it's better to wait to see what software and hardware glitches show up in the early production runs.

I've asked myself what I could do with a M3 if I had one right now that I couldn't do with the Air 2S. I haven't come up with enough benefits to justify the higher cost, greater size and weight, and uncertainty about unreleased features and bugs.

But, like @Droniac, I'm eager to hear about the experiences and thoughts of those who fly the M3.
That was the best post so far! I'm staying with my M2P for now.

I think the only thing is that you under Estimate is how nice a 2 x and even 4 x zoom is when taking photos . I think about how many times the Mini 2 zoom in picture had the better frame for the shot .

Its hard to argue with the rest and so far the Air 2S is holding it #1 Position with everyone.
I get mine today sometime , I have to treat it like a crippled step child. lol

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Capture the Wind .
Yes, but it's only digital zoom and I can crop photos afterwards. But I do agree that it's convenient to have digital photo zoom. I sometimes switch to video just to be able to get a closer look at something during a flight.

I'm hoping that DJI will upgrade the app and/or firmware to make it available on the Air 2S soon.

Enjoy that new M3, and keep us posted on how you like it.

Semantics maybe, but I like the Autel term for their upcoming dual cam called “fusion” technology as opposed to DJI “Hybrid”.
See? 😳 Now Another thing I have to consider!
These first world problems have been making me over confabulate for Months now. Obsessively.
HEY RAIN-DUDE!! @Phantomrain.org ,Im more than certain with what YOU will produce will be amazing and looking forward to it. (although I tend to believe you’d capture sky bolts with a Kodak Brownie).
Also, GRATS on todays delivery!!!! Might I simply say, WOOOOOOOOO!!!! (Oh,I prayed for you and the new M3 already. Your covered. 👍🏻)
Godspeed always, Droniac

• Haha
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I have to sign for this , so i cannot move, and find myself looking out the window , with a brownie . I have started a very Unique design for this , I felt like I was given a Square piece of Clay and had to mold it into something modern .

After 100s of sketches I think I got it. will post pictures soon,

• Haha
Reactions: Droniac

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrefu