DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

my solution for improving VLOS on the MM

old man mavic

Premium Pilot
Reactions
below is what i have done to improve VLOS on my MM ,its not about distance, but more about finding it again after looking at the app display i have flown it with it attached, and it works really well, the light can be under the mav as in the pictures, or on the top depending on the flight you are doing, it is a very light weight set up, and easy to put on or remove for transport ,an added bonus for low light flying is, underneath with the light on constant it makes a very good landing light ,and lights up the surroundings as you fly i modified my landing pad to allow for the lights depth under the drone not a problem if you hand launch ,land.

FHD0006.JPGFHD0010_LI.jpgFHD0011.JPGFHD0009.JPG

Last edited:
Get some pictures of it in a hover so we can see just what it looks like with it on. ?

Edit out your OP reg' number in any photos of your UAV's as well my friend ... ?

Reactions: old man mavic
I have on on top as well. I like to put one on top and bottom of my M2’s but was afraid of blocking the holes on the bottom of the MM

after flying i felt the bottom of the drone and it was barely warm there are slots on the sides at the bottom as well,i dont think that i will need the light in very sunny conditions, it is the cloudy still days, where theres no wind to move away the clouds, that are the worse for regaining VLOS after looking at the screen to compose a shot on the top it does not really show up unless it is quite dark

You just covered up about 80% of the vents , will be very interesting to see if you get any warnings after a few flights back to back. .
Phantomrain.org
Coal

You just covered up about 80% of the vents , will be very interesting to see if you get any warnings after a few flights back to back. .
Phantomrain.org
Coal
in the UK at the moment its very unlikely to cause an issue as it is very cold ,maybe in the heat in the USA it could be a problem ,and as i said its more for the grey overcast days that we get a lot of in the UK, even the strobes i have on the arms of my MPP are not much use in sunny conditions ,but i will be keeping an eye on it, and thanks for your input

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
in the UK at the moment its very unlikely to cause an issue as it is very cold ,maybe in the heat in the USA it could be a problem ,and as i said its more for the grey overcast days that we get a lot of in the UK, even the strobes i have on the arms of my MPP are not much use in sunny conditions ,but i will be keeping an eye on it, and thanks for your input

I have that exact cube and I never considered putting it on the bottom, but really it is a great idea, its to bad the colored lights dont work to well , im going to try it out today , thanks.

i had it on the top of my MPP to compliment the ones on the arms, but i found i could not really see it that well on the top, and unfortunately it obstructed the sensors on the bottom of the MPP, so it was just doing nothing and thats when i thought i would try it on the MM,the only downside i encountered, was that it protrudes below the back landing pads on the MM, and i overcame that issue by cutting out a hole in my home made landing pad, you could of course hand launch,land or get some extenders to fit on the arms

i had it on the top of my MPP to compliment the ones on the arms, but i found i could not really see it that well on the top, and unfortunately it obstructed the sensors on the bottom of the MPP, so it was just doing nothing and thats when i thought i would try it on the MM,the only downside i encountered, was that it protrudes below the back landing pads on the MM, and i overcame that issue by cutting out a hole in my home made landing pad, you could of course hand launch,land or get some extenders to fit on the arms

As luck would have it < i already have that hole cut on the lunar landing Pad , I also had it on top of the MPZ and had the same issue .

I have one of the tiny flytron strobes stuck on the back of the battery door with a piece of Velcro. Works well and increases visibility even in bright conditions.

I wouldn't want to cover the cooling vents on the underside.

I have one of the tiny flytron strobes stuck on the back of the battery door with a piece of Velcro. Works well and increases visibility even in bright conditions.

I wouldn't want to cover the cooling vents on the underside.
if you look at those vents the way they are pointing they are more like outlets for the air as the MM flies forwards i agree that putting the light on the bottom is not perfect ,but it does increase the visibility of the drone i have just today ordered a bright yellow skin from I Styles, to improve the chances of seeing it,i have an orange one on my MPP and that works well

Reactions: theDRONEranger
I have the Lume Cube on the top of the Mini and a Firehouse Dual on the bottom. The Lume Cube comes in at 10g and the Firehouse Dual at 3g. Mostly just use the Firehouse on the bottom of the Mini but it flies fine with both. I’m over the 249g I know but I have an FAA Number.

Some photos

Attachments

• 3EDBFA04-9C92-40C0-8C49-87EBFD03A63B.jpeg
    3EDBFA04-9C92-40C0-8C49-87EBFD03A63B.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 118
  • C66B52B4-15C0-4B5E-92E3-3F7CE8429855.jpeg
    C66B52B4-15C0-4B5E-92E3-3F7CE8429855.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 120
  • 21D8512F-4DF2-4110-89BC-08B5CE8B55F6.jpeg
    21D8512F-4DF2-4110-89BC-08B5CE8B55F6.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 117