DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My zoom is in a 44ft gum tree out in the bush.

I treed my Blade 350qx a couple times and used this to hook a nearby branch which I shook until the drone dropped.
Search Amazon for "Danielson galvanized anchor"

Attachments

• 818A111B-AD90-43D1-91E4-C10C5575A688-1026-00000057867F47A3.jpg
    818A111B-AD90-43D1-91E4-C10C5575A688-1026-00000057867F47A3.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Reactions: Steve M
While camping in rough bush I stuck it in a tree, my fault, I know what I did wrong. I know where to find it, the problem is that it is a 1/2 hour walk through a river crossing and bush. I had to leave it there and return home.
I can return for it in 2 weeks.
I am looking for recovery suggestions, I can carry rope, binoculars, 12 ft extension pole but I probably won't get it with that.
What would other people do?
Cheers Steve
Go to "LOST and FOUND" and search for
How to inexpensively Recover Drone from Tree
Hope it helps

While camping in rough bush I stuck it in a tree, my fault, I know what I did wrong. I know where to find it, the problem is that it is a 1/2 hour walk through a river crossing and bush. I had to leave it there and return home.
I am looking for recovery suggestions, I can carry rope, binoculars, 12 ft extension pole but I probably won't get it with that.
Cheers Steve
[/QUOTE I have used a bow and arrow, long thin line attached to the arrow, as in bowfishing. Loop over the branch, then shake!

Cheers Steve
Hi Steve
I did exactly the same on my property with my brand new M2P. Stuck 11m up - a long way. I used VERY light aluminium poles from a portable shade gazebo. Anything else I tried was too heavy and "fishing poled". My problem was lots of lower branches so the pole has to be assembled bit by bit through the branches. Ground was sloping and I am an amputee so my only option was sitting in a chair directly under otherwise I couldn't see it.
I prodded it out of the tree. It fell 11m without damage other than buggering the speed controller when it crashed. Do NOT try to catch it when it falls. I nearly broke my fingers!
Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 2019-08-07_09h09_28.png
    2019-08-07_09h09_28.png
    5.6 MB · Views: 70
Sorry... server must have had a glitch

Take 4-5 ten foot pieces of 2” PVC pipe, the joining pieces for the pipe, some glue, some duct tape, and a fishing net. Take a friend if you can. Assemble the pipes to make a single 50’ piece and attach the net to the end. Then see if you can get the drone in the net... just a thought.
I tried that but the PVC is too flexible if you can't get right under. Mine was in a bushy gum tree and I had to 'build' the pole as I went to get it through the other branches.

Reactions: Terry63 and Steve M
Cheers Steve

Services | Motus Aerial Solutions These guys will be able to help you out, their Chief Remote Pilot is also an Arborist.

Cheers Steve

Hi Guys
If you do need aerial recovery from a tree we provide this as a service, our chief remote pilot is a fully qualified and insured arborist with 20 years tree climbing experience. Please feel free to check out our website and services.

www.motusair.com

Had a similar problem with a smaller, cheap drone. After many attempts, was able to throw a rope over the limb with the drone and shake it like crazy. Drone dropped to a lower limb and was not able to shake it down from there. One issue was that it had prop-guards (hazard when in trees) so it caught them.

How did we get it down? My brother-in-law used 12 rounds from his shotgun to break the limb the drone was in. It fell safely to the ground and now my son won't let me forget I got his drone stuck in a tree. :)

Can you bring a shotgun?

Thanks guys, that is all helpful, I need to check out again exactly how far out on a limb it is, It seemed quite close to the trunk from where I was, and it was very high. I doubt that I will be able to do it myself but will require an arborist.
When I can get back there this Monday, I will try the catapult and fishing line if possible for starters.
I'll let you know Monday night what I find.
Cheers Steve

Besides my MP and Phantom quads I fly R/C planes and had one get stuck about 30' up in the branches of a large oak. Since the tree was on property that will soon be razed and developed I went out on a Sunday afternoon with my $130 Poulan 20" chain saw and cut that puppy down, felling it in a manner that caused a slow drop with the plane side up and away from the ground as the tree fell. The tree was going to be razed anyway, and I didn't want to lose a $350 plane. Each situation presents it's own challenges and numerous outcomes. Mine worked out perfectly and safely.

Cheers Steve

You might want to check out this link:

Try a fishing line tied to a baseball. You can throw the baseball accurately to the branch. The fishing line is lightweight and strong and to shake that branch with your drone. Good luck

The tree did seem to be too fat for a lineman and too bushy for an airlift unfortunately.
It has no low branches either.
Chainsaw? Is that an option for you? Here in Canada ,in your situation on public land.....I might just cut the tree and hope for the best. A tree can be brought down slowly with the right prep

Cheers Steve
If the branch that the drone is on is thick, you could use a slingshot to fire fishing line (using sinker on end) over the limb and then attach a high limb chainsaw (available from Forestry Tools) rope to fishing line and pull the high limb chainsaw rope over the limb, saw the limb off. Probably not a good idea as the drone and limb come crashing down, Maybe fire another line over a limb above the limb to saw and somehow attach another line to limb using a slip knot so the limb is now supported by a second rope over limb above. NOW saw the limb off and slowly lower limb and drone. (maybe get an arborist !!)

If you do cut a limb, hopefully the limb lands on the ground before the drone or else limb may hit the drone hard.
I realize weight has no bearing on what lands first on freefall, but the limb may encounter more obstacles during fall than drone.

We used fishing weights, fishing line, and a sling shot to get the line over a limb that held an airplane a while back. It took several attempts to get the right limb but as noted above when (not if) you miss, cut the line (recover it don't leave it as trash), tie the weight on the new line and give it another go. I'd guess it took maybe a dozen attempts before he hit the right area.

The key is knowing exact where the aircraft is. Also the above method worked because it was a tall Poplar Tree so it was not exactly a BUSHY tree.

Good luck and let us know.
I have had good luck doing the same thing to retrieve a small drone. I also tied a nylon string to the fishing line then a larger rope. My only other suggestion would be to take 2 or 3 friends and a net to catch it. Good Luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07 and Steve M
I'm back after the reccy. I left there again without the drone. 3 hrs drive down, 1/2 hr walk in including the waist deep river crossing, 1 1/2 hrs searching then out again and back home. I'm not complaining it was my own fault.
I don't mind going back, The retrieval situation has changed.

I could not see it in the trees. It has been very windy down there and I believe that the drone has fallen.
I looked up in the trees with binoculars roughly where it should have been. I say roughly because although I have the exact coordinates from the 'find my drone' link, and a google map pic from my flight log, when down on the river bed where I enter the dense bush and in the scrub there is no phone or internet reception so I can't actually see where I am exactly in relation to the drone or see my coordinates.

The scrub is impenetrable in places and the bush looks a lot different from under the trees than from the satellite.
When at home and a few miles from the campground the program works, it shows the last drone position and my position, but not down on the riverbed it doesn't.

I did not take the hand controller with me because I didn't intend to fly, if I do take it next time and connect the controller to the tablet will that connect to whatever I need like satellites to give me my position? Or does it need a connection to the drone as well, which is 7 days later now lost.

I need to see my exact position on a map as I move in relation to the drone because the visibility and accessibility there is terrible. When I first lost Mavic and started looking the map was working and me the blue dot was approaching the drone red dot. Unfortunately I could not complete the retrieval at that time and pinpoint the tree and drone.

So short version, if I connect the tablet to the controller will that restore my tracking ability again?

20191023_112658.jpg
20191020_171136.jpg
20191027_140626.jpg

I salute and admire your perserverence!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member