DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

National Drone Register Scam

Reactions
I’m a new guy to the drone hobby. Bought a Mavic Pro Platinum. Went to register it because I knew it was necessary. So I just googled faa drone registry. The very first site was National Drone Register. $59 for what the official FAA charges $5 for. They even ripped off the logo and the exact same registration format on the screen.

I reported the scam to the FAA. Don’t know if it’ll help. But all new guys like me watch out.

Reactions: CarlStarke
I’m a new guy to the drone hobby. Bought a Mavic Pro Platinum. Went to register it because I knew it was necessary. So I just googled faa drone registry. The very first site was National Drone Register. $59 for what the official FAA charges $5 for. They even ripped off the logo and the exact same registration format on the screen.

I reported the scam to the FAA. Don’t know if it’ll help. But all new guys like me watch out.
I would think someone from East TN would know better. Welcome

It probably not a "scam", per se, You are probably getting so extra "stickers" or such for your extra money. Probably nothing the FAA can do.

Buyer beware. Note that if the URL doesn't end in .GOV, it's probably not a government site. It pays to pay attention to detail.

I reported the scam to the FAA. Don’t know if it’ll help.
It won't. First, it is not in the FAAs jurisdiction. Second, the company is not doing anything illegal. They are offering a service that is 100% legal. They are 100% scummy... but legal.

They’ve mimicked the FAA site and are using the logo. That’s not legal.
Similar to companies who provide DMV Services. They don’t offer anything you can’t do yourself they just charge you extra for it. They even use state logos. Not illegal as they’re not engaging in fraud. They do what they say they’ll do.... for a “fee” :-/
25575zk.jpg

I also fell for There Tricks, But I got my money back through PayPal just need to go after it

For anyone who needs to register, it can be done here on the FAA's website for $5. Register under "Section 336" if you're only flying as a hobbyist.

I fell for the Registration Stickers one where you give them $10 and a few months later they send you NOTHING.

These are the crooks here: Drone Registration – FAA Drone Registration

Bummer... notes at the bottom of that page:

"As a service provider of aviation labels and professional document preparation services, drone-registration.net provides a simplified process to help our clients obtain a drone registration with the U.S. Government and properly label drones and other radio controlled aircraft systems as mandated by the FAA. We act on behalf of you (our client), and are not affiliated with the FAA. We are an independent site that was designed to assist in obtaining a registration number for you and supply labels and other products. If you have any questions or need more information, please contact us anytime. LetsEncrypt is a trademark of the Internet Security Research Group. All rights reserved."

Similar to companies who provide DMV Services. They don’t offer anything you can’t do yourself they just charge you extra for it. They even use state logos. Not illegal as they’re not engaging in fraud. They do what they say they’ll do.... for a “fee” :-/
25575zk.jpg
I’m in marketing. Ripping off a logo is absolutely illegal. That site intentionally deceives visitors into thinking its FAA. Guarantee it won’t stay long in its current format.

I’m in marketing. Ripping off a logo is absolutely illegal. That site intentionally deceives visitors into thinking its FAA. Guarantee it won’t stay long in its current format.

Those dmv ones have been around for decades so I doubt these ones will disappear.

Uh ohhhh. I thought that it is no longer required to register your drone with the FAA. Am I wrong???

Yep, I think it was from this January onwards that you once again, needed to register with the FAA. The FAA went back to court after losing the previous case, to try and get back the authority to mandate drone registration and this time they won. I had heard there was going to be another challenge to them, like the last time but I cant be certain on that.

Seems unfair to drone flyers since, I believe, other R/C flyers don't have to register their gliders or helicopters or 3-axis aircraft. Maybe someone could correct me if I have that wrong please.

Yep, I think it was from this January onwards that you once again, needed to register with the FAA. The FAA went back to court after losing the previous case, to try and get back the authority to mandate drone registration and this time they won. I had heard there was going to be another challenge to them, like the last time but I cant be certain on that.

Seems unfair to drone flyers since, I believe, other R/C flyers don't have to register their gliders or helicopters or 3-axis aircraft. Maybe someone could correct me if I have that wrong please.
I’m fine with registering anything that flies with a camera on it and also the 55lbs+ class but having to register anything else is a bit absurd imo.

I lost two Mavic pro, one in the mountains, one in the pacific. Two times it was a pilots error... If I would have had registerd them i would now be $ 10,-- poorer and could not effort the 3rd one...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000