DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Nav Lights on Drones?

john edward

Reactions
There is probably an obvious answer to this (newbie?) question. I am wondering why the lights on a drone are not the same as standard Navigation lights on commercial aircraft or Marine vessel? i.e. Red on the Left, Green on the right and White at the rear. It would seem to me that this would help to determine my drones position and travel direction.

It would seem to me that this would help to determine my drones position and travel direction.
It would if you could clearly see the lights when the drone is in the air. Since that's not the case in most scenarios, I don't know that such a layout would be very beneficial.

Reactions: AlanB
It would if you could clearly see the lights when the drone is in the air. Since that's not the case in most scenarios, I don't know that such a layout would be very beneficial.

John is right in that you could tell right away by only seeing the green and red lights if it is directly going or comming away from you, or which way it’s facing by only seeing red or green.. but only really if they can be the bright lithium powered CREE-type add on lights.

Reactions: wsteele and WAXMAN
but only really if they can be the bright lithium powered CREE-type add on lights
Yep! I think it could work if they started using the same lights that Flytron uses in their STROBON Cree strobe lights. The lights DJI uses just aren't that bright.

Thanks! I appreciate it :)

Reactions: WAXMAN
I was finally able to get my Strobon Cree lights up in the air yesterday. First day in forever that temp was above 30 and weather was nice. I was disappointed at the brightness. At 200 feet away and 100 feet AGL they were barely visible. Now I was flying over acres of clean snow in early afternoon sun. Are others satisfied with them? I got them mainly for picking up visual contact if I lose sight of the MPP on overcast days.

I have tried both Strobon and Firehouse ARC and ARC2. I prefer the ARC2. There are four LEDs in each. drone strobe lights They have a four stone set for about $109.
I mounted red and green on front in tankard aircraft fashion along with a white on each rear arm. In the flat AZ desert I easily see them 2 1/2 miles out on a clear day and farther if dim and cloudy. A charge lasts 4-6 hours depending on the flash mode chosen.

I use mounts from Aerial Pixel (Aerial-Pixel - Vinyl Graphics, Vinyl Decals, Apparel, 3D Printing)
You won’t be unhappy with these unless it’s because you looked at them directly while on the ground and have to wait for your vision to clear.

Ironically, studies have shown that pilots of manned aircraft don't really use the color of the navigation lights to determine the orientation of other aircraft. Instead, they almost always use the relative motion of the lights (assuming they even can see them) to determine the other aircrafts direction of travel.

Nick

Reactions: tleedom
I am wondering why the lights on a drone are not the same as standard Navigation lights on commercial aircraft or Marine vessel?
Maybe to prevent drones from being confused with real ships or aircraft ?

Since European Drone rules will come in July this year and night flights are allowed with lightning it would be nice if we could choose how the standard leds will burn during flight.
May be something DJI can realize before that date in a firmware update. I mean the standard Air / Marine traffic lightning; Red Left and Green Right on the 4 Mavic 2 Drone legs.

Since European Drone rules will come in July this year and night flights are allowed with lightning it would be nice if we could choose how the standard leds will burn during flight.
May be something DJI can realize before that date in a firmware update. I mean the standard Air / Marine traffic lightning; Red Left and Green Right on the 4 Mavic 2 Drone legs.

That would be good, but would require new colour leds to be fitted, for brightness too, and likely some sort of electronic dimming in settings.
Probably not something viable to be retrofitted, but new drones could be considered for this, would be very handy for people that are allowed night flight.

Interesting, I think the US is heading to banned night flight for hobbyists, and Europe is opening it up ?
Here in Australia hobbyists are not allowed night flight, RePL can with waiver, don't think we'll be changing anytime soon.
Even though we get our new licencing / registration happening soon.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twin01