DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

NC-Charlotte/Mecklenburg county parks?

ikarian

Reactions
Hi there. New to these forums, but I've been flying for a little while (but just recently bought my first DJI drone).

I've been trying to find out local policy on flying around the Charlotte area. Charlotte doesn't seem to have much published on UAS/drone policy compared to other places like Raleigh. I know state parks are verboten, but what about county parks? I'd like to do some flying in McAlpine Creek park/greenway, but as far as I can tell, there isn't any published information about it. Has anyone tried to fly there? Did the park staff allow it?

For the most part, flying a drone is not a crime so at a minimum, if you are making a mistake it should be treated about the same as any other recreational activity that you engage in a place where it isn't allowed. What would happen if you caught tossing around the baseball or hitting a few golf balls or puts in the park when not allowed? NC is a bit of an exception when it comes to state drone laws (I believe there are specific state statutes) but you can probably start here: Drone Laws in North Carolina (2024) - UAV Coach

Yeah I've seen the state law, and it has language about drones in state parks. But not local/county parks. I didn't want to ask them directly (because I feel like someone's just going to tell me it's not allowed, despite the lack of any official statute), but I went ahead and emailed the county parks dept. I'll post in here if they get back to me about it.

You may not be able to launch and land within the park but you may do so from any public accessible area and fly over the park unless there are airspace restrictions. The FAA is the only ruling agency that covers airspace.

Reactions: sarahb
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toazron1