DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

ND Filters

Redleg

Reactions
I’m shopping for ND filters for my Mavic Pro. PolarPro looks like “the” brand. I’m curious as to what experiences others have had with quality and durability of the PolarPro filters or any other brand of filter.
I’ve also read horror stories about the filters overloading the gimbal and causing damage. I would appreciate any advice and/or personal experiences.

I’m shopping for ND filters for my Mavic Pro. PolarPro looks like “the” brand.
PolarPro definitely makes great filters, but they are not the only trustworthy brand. You should also consider others brands like DJI, Freewell, PGYTECH, and SKYREAT. You can find a list of commonly used Mavic Pro filters here.

I’ve also read horror stories about the filters overloading the gimbal and causing damage.
That's not a common issue. You shouldn't run into that if you use filters from this list.

Reactions: Redleg
By sticking with a major brand you should have no problems if they are installed correctly.

Filters are filters.. ya get what ya pay for...

Reactions: Thomas B and Redleg
I have a set of 3 brand new Polar pro Cinema series (Coated ND) for sale. I wound up with 2 sets inadvertently.They work perfectly on the Mavic and do not overload the gimbal. PM me for details, if you're interested.
Polar Pro Cinema Series Mavic pro 3 pack ND 8-16-32

Last edited:
PolarPro filter are WAY overpriced. As a photographer I am quite used to work with different brands of filters since the film era. Good brands like Cokin, Hoya, Tiffen and B+W are obviously more expensive than generic ones (even better than some camera manufacturer brands like Nikon), but nothing compared to PolarPro. They surfed on the hype and rocketeered their prices.

Lucas... Same background in photography as you & reaction to PolarPro.
To add insult to the injury, I've just read in another post about a guy getting small amounts of colour casts with PolarPro. I mean... seriously? You pay a xxxxx of money in a tiny piece of glass just to discover that it ruins you footage/photo, casting that horrible magenta tone.
Insane...

PolarPro Cinematographers Series set runs $250. I would have gone with DJI, which I assume is just rebranded, but I wanted polarization not just ND. PolarPro looks great, has a nice case, tool, etc, and they look great and work well.1568760279626.jpeg

To add insult to the injury, I've just read in another post about a guy getting small amounts of colour casts with PolarPro. I mean... seriously? You pay a xxxxx of money in a tiny piece of glass just to discover that it ruins you footage/photo, casting that horrible magenta tone.
Insane...
@Lucas Galli ... Do you have a link to that thread?
Do you use filters?
I have never had any color caste with my PolarPro filters. It is true they may be overpriced when compared to others available for drones. However, I have never been disappointed in them for photo or video on any of my drones or GoPros.

I don’t disagree that PolarPro’s filters are pricey. What I am unsure of, however, is how the quality of PolarPro filters stacks up against similar products, many of which are considerably cheaper. I’m still researching and trying to find filters that are worth the price and won’t cause damage to my camera/gimbal assembly. So far, I’ve learned that every single product out there has wildly varying reviews, and plenty of people who both love and hate a given product. You know, like everything else on the Internet. ;)

PolarPro is a name I keep seeing. Whether that’s the result of a well executed promotional campaign or actually having a great product is something that remains to be seen. I do genuinely appreciate everyone’s feedback. I’ve learned that it’s better to hear of others’ experiences by hearing directly from them than to put all my stock in online reviews.

@Lucas Galli ... Do you have a link to that thread?
Do you use filters?
I have never had any color caste with my PolarPro filters. It is true they may be overpriced when compared to others available for drones. However, I have never been disappointed in them for photo or video on any of my drones or GoPros.
Here is the post: ND filter

I’ve been using filters since before digital photography (let alone drones) even existed. Never used PolarPro, though. I am just replicating someone else’s experience and commenting on that.

Reactions: Thomas B
I’m shopping for ND filters for my Mavic Pro. PolarPro looks like “the” brand. I’m curious as to what experiences others have had with quality and durability of the PolarPro filters or any other brand of filter.
I’ve also read horror stories about the filters overloading the gimbal and causing damage. I would appreciate any advice and/or personal experiences.
Does anyone have anything to say about Freewell filter set for Mavic 2 Pro. The set is 4 filters ND8PL (polarizer) . ND16PL ND32PL and ND64PL. $70 USD. I looked at the Polar Pro set (ND4-8-16) but I really don't think I need the lower ND4 but I do need the option of the ND32. I don't want to pay for something I am not going to use (ND4) , but feel that Polar Pro is better brand than Freewell but not sure.

Does anyone have anything to say about Freewell filter set for Mavic 2 Pro. The set is 4 filters ND8PL (polarizer) . ND16PL ND32PL and ND64PL. $70 USD. I looked at the Polar Pro set (ND4-8-16) but I really don't think I need the lower ND4 but I do need the option of the ND32. I don't want to pay for something I am not going to use (ND4) , but feel that Polar Pro is better brand than Freewell but not sure.
I have the Freewel adjustable. It’s so quick to use that I rarely take my PPs out now.
1576013727342.jpeg

Excuse my ignorance- what is adjustable?
The two have total of 8 limitations on light transmission from 2 to 8 stops. See the pics above. You just rotate the bezel... also works between stops for finer control. Saves me a lot of time!

The two have total of 8 limitations on light transmission from 2 to 8 stops. See the pics above. You just rotate the bezel... also works between stops for finer control. Saves me a lot of time!
Thank you for that Tom. While waiting for forum replies I Googled and found a nice video on this. Apparently the first filter is for videos and the 2nd one is for photography? In comments below that video one writer mentions that he rartrely used the 2nd filter since the first one went all the way up to 32?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure