DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro Variable ND - Too Good To Be True?

zeeeegerman

Reactions
Hey guys,

I got a chance to test out the new Variable ND filters for the Mavic 2 Pro from Freewell. Check out how they performed and also a cool Intro sequence!

What do you guys think? Variable ND's or better a larger set of fixed ND strength filters?

I got a set of these for a birthday prezzy.
After testing them out I would recommend them, they work well & stop a lot of faffing around with different filters, a simple twist and you are good to go.

Reactions: ff22 and dirkclod
Good video man thanx for the review. Makes it easy to make a decision
Hey thanks Piglet, appreciate you checking out the video. What NDs have you tried so far?

I have been using these just lately, its great to be able to ,land, make a quick adjustment and away you go again. Quality seems good.
I have noticed on still images that there seems to be a fair bit of diffraction or something on the left side of the image. No idea if its the filter or the lens but I will need to do some tests with and without the filter to compare.
On a side, I have just ordered the Freewell CP filters as well as I have job over water this weekend.

Reactions: DougMcC
If have only been using the polar pro cinema edition nd filters, only nd4 8 and 16
Nice, I love the color the Polar Pro filters give you. I have really enjoyed the ND/PL's.

From what I've heard, variable NDs in general degrades image quality somewhat compared to standard NDs, and that you should only use them if the benefit of quick adjustments outweighs this. I don't know how much of a problem it is though. Would like to see some more examples. :)

Last edited:
Haven't had a chance to give them a good go yet but did manage a test run and was impressed with the performance.
Admittedly these aren't brilliant pictures but it was only a quick test flight with the variable ND filters, wind and rain stop play.

DJI_0463.JPG

DJI_0464.JPG

Attachments

• DJI_0464.JPG
    DJI_0464.JPG
    5.8 MB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Reactions: dirkclod
I have looked and you know if your in the other thread on these I can't find them unless I get them from China or Freewell and they 60 bucks there with shipping and 5 to 10 days shipping . Late Oct-Nov from China.Wish I hadn't held up when Amazon had them for 49.00 with Prime. Snooze ya lose .

I have looked and you know if your in the other thread on these I can't find them unless I get them from China or Freewell and they 60 bucks there with shipping and 5 to 10 days shipping . Late Oct-Nov from China.Wish I hadn't held up when Amazon had them for 49.00 with Prime. Snooze ya lose .
I got them for a present so I don’t know the cost but it was an Amazon box inside the wrapping paper.
Have updated my previous post in this tread with some example photo’s using the filters.

Reactions: dirkclod
I got them for a present so I don’t know the cost but it was an Amazon box inside the wrapping paper.
Have updated my previous post in this tread with some example photo’s using the filters.
I see now, what did you have it set on in those pic's ?

I have submitted still images (taken with the Variable ND fitted) to a stock agency I use that are are particularly finicky with Image Quality and they have all passed so far.

At about 3:30 in the vid he compares the non-variable version to the variable with the same setting and I dont like the way the sky turns more grey looking with the variable.
I will stick with my PolarPros for now...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suilven