DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Near Fly Away!

Alford111

Reactions
Hi All. I was flying my MA today with no problems until I lost signal whilst it was only 310m away. The RTH option appeared on my screen and I accepted this. Next thing I see is the signal returns and my MA going in completely the wrong direction. I cancelled RTH and brought the MA back myself and whilst it was directly above me pressed RTH on the controller and it landed perfectly. Would some kind soul take a look at my dat file, linked below, and assist me as to what went wrong. Many thanks in advance.
MEGA

Hi All. I was flying my MA today with no problems until I lost signal whilst it was only 310m away. The RTH option appeared on my screen and I accepted this. Next thing I see is the signal returns and my MA going in completely the wrong direction. I cancelled RTH and brought the MA back myself and whilst it was directly above me pressed RTH on the controller and it landed perfectly. Would some kind soul take a look at my dat file, linked below, and assist me as to what went wrong. Many thanks in advance.
MEGA
A screen shot to assistScreenshot_20180806-065820.jpeg

MEGA
The dat file is here also for Dropbox users.

Dropbox - 18-08-05-10-15-32_FLY030.DAT

MEGA
Just online chatted to DJI and their advice is "I would suggest to calibrate the IMU and compass of your drone"

My only concern is that if this happened again and my controller didn't reconnect then I've lost it[emoji21]

Just online chatted to DJI and their advice is "I would suggest to calibrate the IMU and compass of your drone"

My only concern is that if this happened again and my controller didn't reconnect then I've lost it[emoji21]

That was normal behavior for the MA - if it loses RC uplink then its RTH mode involves first retracing it's path. If you look at the aircraft track you will see that is what happened during the 16 s of the lost uplink. It would have successfully executed RTH had it not reconnected.

That was normal behavior for the MA - if it loses RC uplink then its RTH mode involves first retracing it's path. If you look at the aircraft track you will see that is what happened during the 16 s of the lost uplink. It would have successfully executed RTH had it not reconnected.
Many thanks for your reply. I didn't realise that and nor did the DJI assistant I guess[emoji848]. In the past if I've lost connection it has obviously done as you say but by the time I have connection again it has retraced and is on its way back[emoji4]

Reactions: sar104
Well of course that's what happened. I had forgotten that the MA does this. I had managed to find the signals go_home_info:GH_lon and go_home_info:GH_lat and was trying to figure out how they explained the behavior. When the uplink was lost these values change to reflect the retrace path for the initial part of the RTH.

Reactions: sar104
Many thanks for your reply. I didn't realise that and nor did the DJI assistant I guess[emoji848]. In the past if I've lost connection it has obviously done as you say but by the time I have connection again it has retraced and is on its way back[emoji4]

It's actually a pretty good strategy. Uplink is often lost due to flying behind a structure or obstacle, which also then directly impedes return to home. Retracing the path for 30 s will take it back to where it had signal and it will likely either reconnect or at least have direct line of sight, and thus a clear RTH path, to the home point.

It's actually a pretty good strategy. Uplink is often lost due to flying behind a structure or obstacle, which also then directly impedes return to home. Retracing the path for 30 s will take it back to where it had signal and it will likely either reconnect or at least have direct line of sight, and thus a clear RTH path, to the home point.
Makes perfect sense. Cheers[emoji6]

Makes perfect sense. Cheers[emoji6]

From the manual:

Failsafe RTH

The Forward Vision System allows the aircraft to create a real-time map of its flight route as it flies. If the Home Point was successfully recorded and the compass is functioning normally, Failsafe RTH will be automatically activated if the remote control signal is lost for a specified amount of time (three seconds when using the remote controller and 20 seconds when flying with a mobile device).

When Failsafe RTH is activated the aircraft starts to retrace its original flight route home. If the wireless control signal is re-established within 60 seconds of Failsafe RTH being activated, the aircraft hovers at its present location for 10 seconds and waits for pilot commands. The user may tap in the DJI GO 4 app or press the RTH button on the remote controller to cancel Failsafe RTH and retake control. If no pilot command is given the aircraft flies to the Home Point in a straight line. If the wireless control signal is still lost 60 seconds after Failsafe RTH was activated the aircraft stops retracing its original flight route and flies to Home Point in a straight line.​

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Surprise