DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Near Miss

redserv

Reactions
Hi Guys I had a near miss and almost lost my drone yesterday. I visited a local wetland swamp where unfortunately had so many mosquito's, i could not stand outside to fly my drone. So i decide to take a chance and fly my drone from inside a moving vehicle on my way out of the location. I know many s users on this forum warns against it, never the less i took the chance. about halfway out of the wetland area, i saw my the video flicker and apparently the drone got disconnected and went back to RTH set point. I am not sure what caused the it and will like someone to kindly assist. Based on my investigations, it will help me make to learn more about my drone and what i should not do. Thanks in advance.

DAT Files DB Link

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2020-11-28_[11-59-26].txt
    563.6 KB · Views: 24
Why did you not turn around and go back to launch point and retrieve your aircraft?

Why did you not turn around and go back to launch point and retrieve your aircraft?
Hi thanks for responding. My drone is safe and yes I went back to the lanuch point and found it. I believe that I stopped the RTH and landed it close to that area. My concern is why it got disconnected in the first place.

Those DAT log files appear to be the ones from the drone itself, if so they are encrypted and unreadable. You seek the DAT files from the screen device, see DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help the DAT files should be in a folder in the folder where you found the txt

Those DAT log files appear to be the ones from the drone itself, if so they are encrypted and unreadable. You seek the DAT files from the screen device, see DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help the DAT files should be in a folder in the folder where you found the txt
Actually, the Mavic .DATs aren't encrypted and DJI_ASSISTANT_EXPORT_FILE_2020-11-29_11-47-36.DAT contains FLY214.DAT.
1606669464946.png
The data shows the signal strength dropped to 0.0 and the RC was then disconnected. I'm guessing that the RC was inside the car had a lot to do with the drop in signal strength.

Reactions: NedKelly
Hi thanks for responding. My drone is safe and yes I went back to the lanuch point and found it. I believe that I stopped the RTH and landed it close to that area. My concern is why it got disconnected in the first place.

One thing to remember is that when your flying from inside the car you have to keep Un Obstructed Visual line of sight , so if you were driving and flying over trees rather than say straight out over the ocean where its unobstructed you are likely to loose your signal very quickly when driving .

Flying from inside the car is not a a problem but when driving
the minute you loose that direct signal the Drone is going to auto respond home.

In your case it all worked exactly the way it was suppose to with the drone loosing its signal
and it coming home, thus driving and flying very tricky,

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air 2 in the Rain and Float on Water.

Actually, the Mavic .DATs aren't encrypted and DJI_ASSISTANT_EXPORT_FILE_2020-11-29_11-47-36.DAT contains FLY214.DAT.
View attachment 118084
The data shows the signal strength dropped to 0.0 and the RC was then disconnected. I'm guessing that the RC was inside the car had a lot to do with the drop in signal strength.
Whoops I saw the "needs dji extract" and went no further. My mistake.

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 118084
yup i had a bad feeling about being in the vehicle while flying. i wonder why it would drop signal so easily?

One thing to remember is that when your flying from inside the car you have to keep Un Obstructed Visual line of sight , so if you were driving and flying over trees rather than say straight out over the ocean where its unobstructed you are likely to loose your signal very quickly when driving .

Flying from inside the car is not a a problem but when driving
the minute you loose that direct signal the Drone is going to auto respond home.

In your case it all worked exactly the way it was suppose to with the drone loosing its signal
and it coming home, thus driving and flying very tricky,

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air 2 in the Rain and Float on Water.
Ah ok thank you for this explanation. Maybe the amount of trees effeminately caused the problem

Ah ok thank you for this explanation. Maybe the amount of trees effeminately caused the problem
just to be clear this is the RC signal that was lost right? and not the video signal?

you were lucky on to counts,you got your drone back ,and you didnt get prosecuted for driving without due care and attention

Reactions: Scubadiver1944
Agreed. Fortunately for me I was in a very remote area and it all worked out. Thank you for your contribution.
I would help to see any of the video you captured compared to mine ?

So you get an idea of why my signal was so strong and why i could point the antennas the opposite way of how I was flying and not loose signal on the Mavic 2 or the Phantom 4 .

Reactions: Vapor069
It appears the two DAT's do not contain the same information, does any one know why that is?

Attachments

• DAT off a Mavic Pro via Assistant 2.png
    DAT off a Mavic Pro via Assistant 2.png
    59.1 KB · Views: 10
  • DAT off a phone (Mavic Pro).png
    DAT off a phone (Mavic Pro).png
    44 KB · Views: 10
It appears the two DAT's do not contain the same information, does any one know why that is?
There are several reasons. But, more to the point it's always been that way - there isn't anything unusual here.

Thanks, would you care to expand on those reasons?
Perhaps what I should have said was there are probably several reasons why DJI decides to include, or not include, each record type in the mobile device .DAT. It's likely that limited bandwidth plays into some of those decisions. Beyond that you'll have to ask DJI.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54