DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Need a way to record multiple gps coordinates

NZT

Reactions
Hello fellow pilots. Mavic Pro pilot. Long time lurker first post.
I am looking for some way to record coordinates of multiple points ie marking obstacles in fields so to be transferred to map. Handheld GPS accuracy exceptable. Similar to a handheld GPS except airborne. Not sure if possible or not.
TIA
NZT

Hello fellow pilots. Mavic Pro pilot. Long time lurker first post.
I am looking for some way to record coordinates of multiple points ie marking obstacles in fields so to be transferred to map. Handheld GPS accuracy exceptable. Similar to a handheld GPS except airborne. Not sure if possible or not.
TIA
NZT
What are you using to view the points? Every photo taken has xyz embedded into the EXIF data. You could take a photo at each point, then bring the photos into software that would read this info. Most GIS software does this, or you could try PhotoPlace (for Windows, but there it probably something out there for IOS if that's all you have to work with) which will create a KMZ file automatically for viewing in Google Earth. The benefit is that you will have a photo of each obstacle.

Reactions: AMann
OMG Bluddy, is a prhibited word? Are you serious??
Now you make me wonder what word it was. All kinds of nasty swearing crossing my mind and sticking for the rest of the day. If I just could see it I could be over and done with it. ****

Nah, simple pub talk... "It's a B..l..o..o..d..y good app"....
Nothing sinister in my intent......

Hi guys..No I am not using IOS. Definitively an android kid here. Thanks for suggested so far.
I will look at anything suggested but will have to wait for weekends to test. It's getting a bit dark after work here now in NZ

Righto guys think i have cracked this.
I found a exif extractor so that I can gather photo/video data and import into google earth.
I am possibly preferring to do this rather than use 3rd party apps to control flights. What I am wanting to do is more free flight anyway.
Thx from down under

Righto guys think i have cracked this.
I found a exif extractor so that I can gather photo/video data and import into google earth.
I am possibly preferring to do this rather than use 3rd party apps to control flights. What I am wanting to do is more free flight anyway.
Thx from down under
I’m not so tech savvy so please explain this to me. Am I to understand that normal photos I take with my Mavic Air has GPS or some other information ‘imbeded’ that I will be able to extract with an ‘exif extractor’ ? And so points on the photo can be selected after the photo is taken and some latitude & longitude or GPS or other location fixing information can be found later ?
I need to be able to film some electrical cable trenches that are visible now in paddocks (farmer’s fields) but will overgrow so that later we will know exactly where they are. GPS might be the best means of locating them later.

... Am I to understand that normal photos I take with my Mavic Air has GPS or some other information ‘imbeded’ that I will be able to extract with an ‘exif extractor’ ? ...
The straight answer to that question is 'I don't know', but I wanted to make you aware that the EXIF data relates to where the camera IS, not what it's focussed on. Thus if you fly at a low altitude directly over the cable track and look directly down on at, assuming the still shots do have EXIF data embedded, you will be able to use the GPS data in a hand held or machine embedded device later.. If you fly to one side of the track, or use the camera in a forward facing mode, the GPS data will be inaccurate.
Note that only still shots will have EXIF data, video will not (at least, that is my experience).

As for not being technically savvy, that is your problem, not mine. I suggest you google the terms you don't understand. Perhaps start with Wikipedia as your standard primer on any particular subject.

Regards.

The straight answer to that question is 'I don't know', but I wanted to make you aware that the EXIF data relates to where the camera IS, not what it's focussed on. Thus if you fly at a low altitude directly over the cable track and look directly down on at, assuming the still shots do have EXIF data embedded, you will be able to use the GPS data in a hand held or machine embedded device later.. If you fly to one side of the track, or use the camera in a forward facing mode, the GPS data will be inaccurate.
Note that only still shots will have EXIF data, video will not (at least, that is my experience).

As for not being technically savvy, that is your problem, not mine. I suggest you google the terms you don't understand. Perhaps start with Wikipedia as your standard primer on any particular subject.

Regards.

You said ‘assuming the still shots do have EXIF data imbedded . . . ‘ - How do I know if EXIF data is imbedded ? Is there a setting ?
All DJI Mavics ( I haven't checked the new Mini) have GPS data included in the Exif info that is part of each photo taken.
Here's an example of the GPS data in a photo:
i-H7gLW9v-L.jpg

With the camera pointed straight down, that location is the point in the centre of the image.
GPS is only accurate to +/- 2 to 3 metres so it's not going to be great fro precision locating.
If you need to relocate a cable alignment it might pay to consider marking the line with some indicator posts.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07
OMG Bluddy, is a prhibited word? Are you serious??

I have the original and "Bluddy" isn't the word you used that was filtered out.

Nah, simple pub talk... "It's a B..l..o..o..d..y good app"....
Nothing sinister in my intent......

Ummmmmmm

you used something that rhymes with RAM . . . .not bloody or bluddy or any derivatives of it....

All DJI Mavics ( I haven't checked the new Mini) have GPS data included in teh Exif info that is part of each photo taken.
Here's an example of the GPS data in a photo:
i-H7gLW9v-L.jpg

With the camera pointed straight down, that location is the point in the centre of the image.
GPS is only accurate to +/- 2 to 3 metres so it's not going to be great fro precision locating.
If you need to relocate a cable alignment it might pay to consider marking the line with some indicator posts.
How do you get the Exif info to come up ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661