DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Need Advise with the Wobbles

Dale D

Reactions
Site
vimeo.com
Yes- it's me again trying to do a time lapse with Mavic 2 Pro. Here is what I did>
On Camera (not video) settings, manual exposure, set resolution to JPG, set photo to multiple, time between photos 2 seconds (interval). I did about 153 photos of my local road from 44 feet elevation in hover. I ran it through software to render the photos into a video (LRTimelapse5). I uploaded to Adobe Premiere Pro 2022, and warp stabilized twice. What else can I do to stop this wobbling? Viet attached.

Stop drinking beer LOL .....just kidding Dale.
I have had better results using DaVinci Resolve to stabilize video. Have you tried it?

• Haha
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
My guess, 3 things
1) too high for VPS to be responsible for position holding ( Mine seems to have a measurement boundary around 10 to 12m}, combined with
2) so low that GPS position holding drift is noticeable in imagery
3) gusty wind.

Stop drinking beer LOL .....just kidding Dale.
I have had better results using DaVinci Resolve to stabilize video. Have you tried it?
I have no clue about Da Vinci Resolve. Yes, I know all about it but the thought of another learning curve is not my cup of tea. Not even sure it's the video software and not my Mavic 2 Pro.
Don't try making timelapses in the wind.
Not a single whiff of wind! I was just above tree level and there was no wind at all.

oh there was some wind, do a hover check in the house to see if that is clean, I have my doubts.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water.

Too windy for a subject that is in close proximity. You’re asking a lot. Do it again from the same position on a calm day. Then do a time lapse on a subject that is much farther away. Then process and compare the two.

Not a single whiff of wind!
Watch the top of the palm tree in the upper left corner. You can just see the top of the tree. Looks to be moving in some wind gust.
( I’ve been wrong before, but I don’t think on this one?)

My guess, 3 things
1) too high for VPS to be responsible for position holding ( Mine seems to have a measurement boundary around 10 to 12m}, combined with
2) so low that GPS position holding drift is noticeable in imagery
3) gusty wind.
Not a single whiff of wind! I was just above tree level and there was no wind at all. I was only 44 feet high.I had 18 satellite.

Not a single whiff of wind! I was just above tree level and there was no wind at all. I was only 44 feet high.I had 18 satellite.
Lots of wind, as noted - look at the palm tree. Plus ALL the other trees are moving. Just because you have none at ground level, things change quickly, even ten feet off the ground. Plus, the trees were shielding you.

It looks like the jitter is a result of the positional inaccuracies of the GPS position. The specified accuracy of consumer GPS positioning is +- 16 ft, 95% of the time.

Fixing it is going to be hard. A drone with better positional accuracy, such as 1 designed for accurate mapping is one.

A cheaper attempt would be using a compositing program like Photoshop or Affinity Photo to build a layer stack which will align every individual image to common image features, and then export the individual aligned images to make the video. This stitching software does a good job of aligning image stacks, and if you crop the stack so that each image is exactly the same size before exporting them, it might work.

It looks like the jitter is a result of the positional inaccuracies of the GPS position. The specified accuracy of consumer GPS positioning is +- 16 ft, 95% of the time.

Fixing it is going to be hard. A drone with better positional accuracy, such as 1 designed for accurate mapping is one.

A cheaper attempt would be using a compositing program like Photoshop or Affinity Photo to build a layer stack which will align every individual image to common image features, and then export the individual aligned images to make the video. This stitching software does a good job of aligning image stacks, and if you crop the stack so that each image is exactly the same size before exporting them, it might work.
Or……… just try a different day that doesn’t involve blowing wind?

Shooting with the wind lowing less hard may help., but that will not change the variation in position due to the changing position information from the GPS system.

Verification of this being a positioning problem is yet to be determined.

Not a single whiff of wind! I was just above tree level and there was no wind at all.

You can see the trees blowing around, so not sure what you consider a whiff. Post a log of that flight and we can tell you what the wind was doing that day.

Can you explain a little more in detail what the Photoshop compositing program does, how it works, how do I do it?

Yes- it's me again trying to do a time lapse with Mavic 2 Pro. Here is what I did>
On Camera (not video) settings, manual exposure, set resolution to JPG, set photo to multiple, time between photos 2 seconds (interval). I did about 153 photos of my local road from 44 feet elevation in hover. I ran it through software to render the photos into a video (LRTimelapse5). I uploaded to Adobe Premiere Pro 2022, and warp stabilized twice. What else can I do to stop this wobbling? Viet attached.

Well... First, you have too much wind while taking the pictures. I personally have a really good result making a pass-first in Premiere with the warp effect and then another pass in Davinci resolve.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78