DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Need computer video editing help

Laggard

Reactions
Brand new Acer gaming laptop. Plays back 4k beautifully. However video editing in Hitfilm or Lightroom is just glacial. Playback while editing is pixelated and awful.

165 HZ 3 ms nvidia g-sync nvidia geoforce rtx.

Intel i7

Help!

Hi there,
In addition to DVR, do try out Capcut for PC...very easy to learn and use and in my humble opinion, more than sufficient for my purposes of short 3 to 4 mins of drone video. Exporting in 4k is super fast too. And tons of YouTube tutorials are available.
I've thought about trying DVR, but it just seems too daunting for me... must be an age thing .. haha 😃
Hope this helps!

Reactions: Andy carley
Brand new Acer gaming laptop.... However video editing... is just glacial.
You're a bit vague about your computer's specifications... but below is about what's needed for 4K editing, CPU or GPU demands can also differ between editors.

Recommended computer requirements:
-At least 4 core processors is desirable - Intel 6th Gen or newer CPU, or AMD equivalents, such as Ryzen 5 or 7th line of processors.

-16 GB RAM minimum for 4K videos.

-The video card at least 4 GB, Nvidia GTX 1650, preferably newer - for example Nvidia RTX 2060 or 3060, AMD Radeon R5 or later.

Additional tweaks that may help:
-Update your graphic card drivers.

-If you are editing on a laptop, make sure it is plugged in.

-Copy your 4K videos to an internal SSD for faster processing.

Playback while editing is pixelated and awful...
This with the bad resolution during scrubbing & playback in the editor can also be due to a too low resolution setting (maybe only 720P or lower) in the editor... many editors offer settings for this to take down the computer load during the actual editing process & then apply the edit on the real 4K clip during rendering. Look around & see if you can find a preview resolution setting & dial it up.

Reactions: rwarrior
Hi there,
In addition to DVR, do try out Capcut for PC...very easy to learn and use and in my humble opinion, more than sufficient for my purposes of short 3 to 4 mins of drone video. Exporting in 4k is super fast too. And tons of YouTube tutorials are available.
I've thought about trying DVR, but it just seems too daunting for me... must be an age thing .. haha 😃
Hope this helps!
Agree on Capcut. With Resolve you will spend more time watching tutorials than actually editing. If computer savvy at all, you operate Capcut within a few minutes.

Reactions: rwarrior
I suspect that HitFilm doesn't support hardware acceleration for h.265. Possibly also not for h.264. If you're using a free version, then it almost definitely does not. For that matter, neither does Resolve; you have to spring for the $300 upgrade to Studio to get hardware acceleration support for h.264/h.265, because those are not free codecs.
That said, the Resolve upgrade is a one-time fee, not a subscription, and it's worth it for the useful included plugins that it enables.

I suspect that HitFilm doesn't support hardware acceleration for h.265. Possibly also not for h.264. If you're using a free version, then it almost definitely does not. For that matter, neither does Resolve; you have to spring for the $300 upgrade to Studio to get hardware acceleration support for h.264/h.265, because those are not free codecs.
That said, the Resolve upgrade is a one-time fee, not a subscription, and it's worth it for the useful included plugins that it enables.
If you are committed to Davinci Resolve, I suggest you "offset" the one-time free by purchasing the speed editor together with the software. You probably won't be able to use the speed editor on day one but eventually you will because you will grow quickly with DR and this speed editor is awesome. Just a rough guess for the average person with not a lot of previous editing skills, it probably takes a year or two to get really comfortable with DR by maximizing the YT resources and you can find the most use from this editor starting around year two.

Reactions: EricJT
Hi there,
Hope this helps!
I've switched to Resolve aged (nearly)63. The good thing is that you don't have to explore all of the sections. If you just want to drag clips onto the timeline, chop 'em up a bit and post to YouTube it's pretty simple.

If you want to do a lot more than the basics then it's a good choice.

But to answer the OP, although DaVinci is high end, it will work on fairly low specced computers. Resolve / Adobe Premiere Pro have what's called proxy files. The program generates a low - res version of your 4K footage to edit with. You can then edit easily without it crashing. When you come to render the final copy it uses the 4K version.

Brand new Acer gaming laptop. Plays back 4k beautifully. However video editing in Hitfilm or Lightroom is just glacial. Playback while editing is pixelated and awful.

165 HZ 3 ms nvidia g-sync nvidia geoforce rtx.

Intel i7

Help!
By the way, if or when you go with Da Vinci Resolve, do yourself a favour and buy the Speed editor machine. I'm a beginner editor and it made a huge difference to how easy it was to edit with this unit. Go to the Black Magic web site and look at some of the tutorials for the Speed Editor and it will change your mind on how difficult you thought editing might be.

By the way, if or when you go with Da Vinci Resolve, do yourself a favour and buy the Speed editor machine. I'm a beginner editor and it made a huge difference to how easy it was to edit with this unit. Go to the Black Magic web site and look at some of the tutorials for the Speed Editor and it will change your mind on how difficult you thought editing might be.
But it's quite pricey. My solution is to have a Contour multimedia controller because it's got two jog wheels and 5 programmable buttons. I've got it set up to do the keys I most use. But I'd LIKE to have a proper DR bit of kit :)

But it's quite pricey. My solution is to have a Contour multimedia controller because it's got two jog wheels and 5 programmable buttons. I've got it set up to do the keys I most use. But I'd LIKE to have a proper DR bit of kit :)
For what it does even at new pricing it is well worth it. It's also Blue Tooth so no need to have a cable going to your computer, just sit back and keep it on your lap. With that said, I got mine for $170 as an open box on ebay so there are plenty of deals around.

Every now and then, Black Magic offers a special whereby when you buy the DaVinci Resolve for around the $250 mark, they give you a free Speed Editor. Either way, it is a great thing to have and use, with a very solid feel to it. You won't regret it.

Reactions: EricJT
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne