DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Need Help Choosing - PolarPro Limited Collection Cinema or Vivid Collection or...?

Superdaddy

Reactions
I have purchased the PolarPro vivid series for my MP and my MA. However, I have found that I most often use the ND/PL 16 and sometimes could use a ND/PL 32 (our maybe greater) given the bright conditions under which I usually fly - ocean, lake, snow, etc. Flying this weekend up in Tahoe seemingly made clear that filters are absolutely necessary despite low ISO, high aperture and fast shutter speed.

For those of you much more knowledgeable than I in this regard, if you had to choose between the "Limited Cinema Collection" or the "Vivid Collection", which would you choose as your only set of filters and why?

As alternatives:

Would a good approach to consider be buying the Vivid Collection and combining those with the set from Skyreat ND32 and ND64?

Maybe just buying the vivid collection along with a single PolarPro ND/PL 32 might get a good range for 90% of my shots.

I am sort hoping to spend less than $110.00 bucks or so on filters given the money I have spent on the M2P and will assuredly continue to spend on accessories (multi charger, case, better gimbal protector, etc. etc. etc.).

Thanks in advance to all who take the time to reply.

Last edited:
You can mix and match: Mavic 2 | Custom Filter Sets

I generally go ND-only first, but do like a mix - the PL need to be adjusted on the ground and as your drone orientation to the light angle changes, when doing video, would end up not being aligned. For me the PL are more useful for photos.

Reactions: Dmbrody
With aperture control now on the M2P a ND 8 and ND16 might be enough. I like the polarizers since they also work as ND. I ordered the polarpro vivid 3 pack.

I put together a custom set of 4 so I am not carrying a bunch of duplicates.

I can't wait.

I think you’ll want both ND and ND/PLs.
You fly over water and snow and I’m sure a lot more so ND with a circular polarizer is perfect when you set it up and stay on a pretty narrow heading. But if you’re flying orbits or making any significant heading changes, you can get color banding in the sky and odd patches of color on water surfaces and snow at certain angles. That’s when the regular ND filters come in handy.

I did a mix with:

4P
64P

Between that and on board settings I should be covered.

I chose the Vivid Collection plus the skyreat 4 pack https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GWMKCBS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 because they were a good value.

Not sure why anyone would want non- polarized, but I suppose there's an application.

If you're panning you can get some darkening in the sky as the polarising effect changes, also in bright sunlight you have more chance of colour cast. Always best to have both, personally I only use them over water or when there's too much glare.

I think you’ll want both ND and ND/PLs.
You fly over water and snow and I’m sure a lot more so ND with a circular polarizer is perfect when you set it up and stay on a pretty narrow heading. But if you’re flying orbits or making any significant heading changes, you can get color banding in the sky and odd patches of color on water surfaces and snow at certain angles. That’s when the regular ND filters come in handy.

You are probably right. I do I lot of stills with drone to supplement landscape photography. But I may want to do more complex flying in the future. The polarizer becomes unpredictable with more than small movement.

As others have said, the MP2 has a variable aperture and is decently sharp even at f/8.

So you dont need as many filters.

I'd just get a single 3 stop filter and a separate CPL. That should cover everything.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61