DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Need Help Determining Cause of Crash

Hi,

Two days ago, I crashed my Mavic Pro 2 while hovering and taking pano photos at the edge of a cliff face. I suddenly got a warning that motor was at max speed and that gimbal roll reached movement limit. I tried to bring it home but saw the scenery on screen go to a 45 degree angle, then lost signal as it veered away from me atop the cliff, never to return. (As an aside, if there's anyone near Moab, Utah who can drive up a very rough jeep road to look for drone, let me know) Here's the fight log:

Note that, although it says I was at 1400', I took off near bottom of a 1200' canyon wall, so I was shooting images just 200 feet AGL.

I did get high wind warnings on my screen, but winds that day were 11 mph with gusts up to around 20 mph. Drone was flying fine and hadn't had issues with that wind speed before, so I kept flying. Before taking off, I got a warning that vision sensor needed calibrating. I ignored this since I had the obstacle avoidance sensors disabled. Or should I have heeded this warning anyway?

I had done 250 flights in the last 3 years without anything close to a crash, so I was probably overconfident and should have heeded warnings. But I don't think the warnings were the cause of crash. I'm hoping to find out for sure, so I know how to prevent this in the future.

The flight log shows that after I got the motor speed and gimbal warnings at around 10 min 28 sec, the drone suddenly spun around counter-clockwise and lost altitude despite the remote control not being used. The log shows I tried to turn it back clockwise and fly up. I got it positioned towards home and tried to go full throttle forward. But it careened backwards to the NE at close 40mph before losing signal. My best guess is that a propeller fell off. I check the propellers for damage before every flight but didn't check to make sure they were secure.

Thanks,

Grant
anything like what i experienced this arvo?

anything like what i experienced this arvo?
Your incident doesn't appear to have anything in common with the OP's incident.
His drone went into an uncontrollable spin and descent.

If we can see the recorded data from yours, it should be possible to tell more about what happened.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98