DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Need help in unscrewing propeller

I'm not to sure telling someone to use vice grips to grip the motor housing is sond advice not knowing how mechanically inclined said person is. There are plenty of other ways I think of that would be far safer than that on the housing
I think they meant small grips on the screw, not the motor. The screw shouldn't be so tight that you can't hold onto the motor by hand as you use the grip to get leverage on the tiny screw.

Indeed though be careful not to put any bending force on the screw or you could snap it off or damage the thread on the motor.

Reactions: FlyBackOU812
I'm not to sure telling someone to use vice grips to grip the motor housing is sond advice not knowing how mechanically inclined said person is. There are plenty of other ways I think of that would be far safer than that on the housing
I have been a millwright for over 40 years and have worked on more equipment in that time than you have probably seen. I have removed thousands of broken and stuck bolts and screws and do so every day. If you read my answer, I didn't say anything about the motor housing. I said I would grip the prop and screw head area of the screw, and turn it out. Will it destroy the prop and screw, yes. That is why I said to install a new prop set and screws. The motor housing I'm sure can easily be held by hand throughout the process. Once a phillips counter-sunk head is stripped, your options are becoming very limited. It just looks like a very simple screw removal to me looking at the picture. If a person doesn't know how to do this or have access to the tools to do so, then by all means take it to someone who does.

I have been a millwright for over 40 years and have worked on more equipment in that time than you have probably seen. I have removed thousands of broken and stuck bolts and screws and do so every day. If you read my answer, I didn't say anything about the motor housing. I said I would grip the prop and screw head area of the screw, and turn it out. Will it destroy the prop and screw, yes. That is why I said to install a new prop set and screws. The motor housing I'm sure can easily be held by hand throughout the process. Once a phillips counter-sunk head is stripped, your options are becoming very limited. It just looks like a very simple screw removal to me looking at the picture. If a person doesn't know how to do this or have access to the tools to do so, then by all means take it to someone who does.
Then I appoligize sir for misunderstanding what you meant, I think maybe it was how you said it that confused my understanding of what you said. What you said this time I understand perfectly now. I too have good knowledge and understanding of these type of things and I agree completly with your assessment of what needs to be done. I too agree from looking at the picture that it doesnt look rounded off to where it should be to hard to take off and get out of there. Which makes me feel he might not be very mechanically inclined enough and why I suggested for him to get a better quality mini philips head screwdriver with a little longer fatter handle and also made from harder metals that won't round the edges of the head or cost him more than $10 to make the job for him easier. I myself believe its the screw driver he's using that is probably the one that that came with the props that is rounded and not that screw head. I used that one myself the first time I changed my props and can tell you its not one anyone should use. I also rounded off its head slightly by the time I had got to the last screw head and why I will take the few minutes next time to find my much better, longer, stronger mini screwdriver. Thank you for clearing that up for me and hopefully him as well

Last edited:
Then I appoligize sir for misunderstanding what you meant, I think maybe it was how you said it that confused my understanding of what you said. What you said this time I understand perfectly now. I too have good knowledge and understanding of these type of things and I agree completly with your assessment of what needs to be done. I too agree from looking at the picture that it doesnt look rounded off to where it should be to hard to take off and get out of there. Which makes me feel he might not be very mechanically inclined enough and why I suggested for him to get a better quality mini philips head screwdriver with a little longer fatter handle and also made from harder metals that won't round the edges of the head or cost him more than $10 to make the job for him easier. I myself believe its the screw driver he's using that is probably the one that that came with the props that is rounded and not that screw head. I used that one myself the first time I changed my props and can tell you its not one anyone should use. I also rounded off its head slightly by the time I had got to the last screw head and why I will take the few minutes next time to find my much better, longer, stronger mini screwdriver. Thank you for clearing that up for me and hopefully him as well
Your point is well taken, any I am sorry for my "snappy" answer as well. We all have our "favorite" screwdriver that we go to all the time. After time, the poor thing gets the edges worn off a bit, and really doesn't work as well as it used to. Kinda like me I guess ;-)

Your point is well taken, any I am sorry for my "snappy" answer as well. We all have our "favorite" screwdriver that we go to all the time. After time, the poor thing gets the edges worn off a bit, and really doesn't work as well as it used to. Kinda like me I guess ;-)
Yeah I understand that. I see you have me by a few years and I know how rounded my edges are. Ive been building houses all my life and the laborbthats involved in that will roundanyones edges. And as I said, he's probably using the tiny 2 or 3 inch screw driver that comes with the new OEM propellers that you can only really use your fingertips to do the job. I feel his pain because I used it myself thinking that I'd be ok if I only used it once and then throw it away. I believe that's why they give that one to you with each package becausevits meant to be thrown away which is what should be done with the thing before anyone tries to use it or this is what is likely to happen. When I seen the post I immediately figured I knew what the problem was and thats why I wanted to chime in. And seeing the cross of the screw I knew it would be a shame to try anything other than a better screwdriver. Someone that can't can't look at that cross and see thatsvits not rounded off and not at least think to look at the the drivers head probably shouldn't take any other steps other than what I suggested if he couldn't do it at that point then he shouldn't take any further steps on his own considering the windings of the motor are exposed the way they are

You can also try to heat the screw with the tip of a soldering iron. The expanding due to the heat will lose the treat and after cooling a bit you should be able to loosen the screw.

Thank you everyone for your answers.
The cross on the screw looks quite small compared to the other screws and looks a little rounded off / worn. I tried the tightening and loosening idea anyway - no luck :(
So I contacted DJI and they said they will help with getting the screw out. I don't want to try out too much mechanical stuff by myself on such a delicate part of the drone. For now, I am going to put back on the disassembled propellers using the 6 extra screws that came with the drone. That means one of the props will be using the old screw. I hope it would still fly all fine. I will post an update in the coming days.

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehj147