DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Need help to get a refund

Why 11? 7 is sufficient and depending where you are on the planet and time of day you may be lucky to get 10. Yes, on most (almost all) occasions I will have 12+ but as a rule if the app reports home point recorded I’m happy to fly off, I know there is a good chance RTH will work as expected if there is a connection loss.
when i had my PH3 that only had GPS i would get 10 sats and that would be the max ,with my MPP it has GPS+Glonass and i get anything from 18-20 sats locked the MM has both as well and i have seen 17 sats on that ,it seems that different parts of the world vary in the number of sats that are visible

Reactions: WithTheBirds
when i had my PH3 that only had GPS i would get 10 sats and that would be the max ,with my MPP it has GPS+Glonass and i get anything from 18-20 sats locked the MM has both as well and i have seen 17 sats on that ,it seems that different parts of the world vary in the number of sats that are visible
I must admit I don’t pay a lot of attention but from general observation I would say I get between 10 and 19 depicted in the GO app (includes GLONASS)- it was less on the P3. It is also common to acquire a few more once up in the air than were registered at power up on the ground. The sense I get is specifying 11 as a minimum required is on the conservative side and unrealistic.

Reactions: old man mavic
i agree with you 8 seems to be the point on the MM where its gives the takeoff message and then your good to go the one thing i have noticed with the MM is that it does take a little longer to get a lock, as compared to my MPP in the same place ,could be down to the size of the GPS unit in the MM

Why 11? 7 is sufficient and depending where you are on the planet and time of day you may be lucky to get 10. Yes, on most (almost all) occasions I will have 12+ but as a rule if the app reports home point recorded I’m happy to fly off, I know there is a good chance RTH will work as expected if there is a connection loss.

The number of satellites is not that important, 6 in the right configuration might work better than 15 packed together.
And there is no way to say (besides visual red/white) indication how good your signal is (there are some apps and tools but ....). In some parts of the world where satellites are "spread" better fewer satellites yield better results, in others the same number of satellites will give us less accuracy. Also in some areas of the world GPS accuracy is intentionally crippled, for whatever reason.

A GPS receiver needs 4 satellites to work out your position in 3-dimensions. If only 3 satellites are available, the GPS receiver can get an approximate position by making the assumption that you are at mean sea level. Of course it should go without having to say, the more the better.

The number of satellites is not that important, 6 in the right configuration might work better than 15 packed together.
And there is no way to say (besides visual red/white) indication how good your signal is (there are some apps and tools but ....). In some parts of the world where satellites are "spread" better fewer satellites yield better results, in others the same number of satellites will give us less accuracy. Also in some areas of the world GPS accuracy is intentionally crippled, for whatever reason.

You are wrong on the numbers- 6 satellites on DJI drones = GPS health 0. You need 7 locked for position hold and navigation to work. 7+ is good, 6 or less and you are drifting in the breeze.

A GPS receiver needs 4 satellites to work out your position in 3-dimensions. If only 3 satellites are available, the GPS receiver can get an approximate position by making the assumption that you are at mean sea level. Of course it should go without having to say, the more the better.
7 or more is good- GPS mode will work as designed. 6 or less no good.

Reactions: old man mavic
i dont think that the argument regarding sat numbers to find a location is what is in dispute here,its more to do with what a DJI drone needs to maintain a good lock, as satellites go in and out of view, depending on the height and objects blocking their view this constantly varies during any flight and having as many sats as possible greatly improves the chances of keeping its position known

It’s is not “fact” with respect to how DJI drones operate. The flight controller needs 7 satellites locked for GPS features to work.
It’s a fact that gps receivers requires four satellites to locate your position accurately on this Earth. If a DJI drone requires more than that it’s a matter of redundancy.
I do understand that the thread is more about the number of satellites the drones require rather than a hand held gps receiver. I never really meant to insinuate that the aircraft only needed four. The difference is a hand held receiver tells your current location where as the drone not only has to know it’s take off coordinates but how to navigate back to that point from another point. So I guess I’m saying I agree with you.

Last edited:
It’s a FACT that gps requires four satellites to locate your position accurately on this Earth, PERIOD. If a DJI drone requires more than that it’s a matter of redundancy.
Maybe you should read a little more about how modern gps works. I’m out.

Four is the theoretical number, agreed, but seldom gives an accurate solution, even without taking propagation uncertainties into account. Also remember that the total GNSS displayed is GPS + GLONASS. DJI uses a DOP criterion (and possibly a minimum number of satellites) which generally leads to a minimum of 8 (sometimes 7). Below that it drops out of GPS mode and stops reporting position. However - if you look at the DAT file you will see that it actually continues to log a position solution, sometimes as low as 3 satellites.

How many sats would you recommend before a safe take off?
This post is where this thread swayed from what the op
needed to something totally off his issue.
Either advise him to help him or don’t post.

Do you think it is not a manufacturing fault? (Black Screen with Downlink error)

DJI will say pilot error, flying in a built up area with a building higher than the default RTH height of 30m (100ft), which the AC hit on the RTH.

The AC was doing what it was supposed to do on a RTH, but the Mini doesn't have obstacle avoidance so it hit the side of the building as it was too low.

Best get a care refresh, and sell the drone privately

DJI will say pilot error, flying in a built up area with a building higher than the default RTH height of 30m (100ft), which the AC hit on the RTH.

The AC was doing what it was supposed to do on a RTH, but the Mini doesn't have obstacle avoidance so it hit the side of the building as it was too low.

Best get a care refresh, and sell the drone privately

Thanks @lannes . Do you think that I can't return it after DJI sends a replacement? It'd definitely be a new one.

Thanks @lannes . Do you think that I can't return it after DJI sends a replacement? It'd definitely be a new one.

There are some of considerations

1) length of time since the purchase for a refund, according to the Apple store this is 14 days. I think time won't be on your side as the refresh unit will take time to come back, I suspect at least 10 - 15 days being Christmas etc.

2) If DJI "refresh" you with a refurbished unit then the refund won't be possible. Whether they send you a new or refurbished is totally their discretion based on the terms in the DJI refresh, 95% of the time it will be refurbished.

1576552484999.png

3) DJI may refuse you a Care Refreshed if they deem the AC was flown in unsuitable conditions and if the AC is a incomplete return, so hopefully you have all the parts.

1576553710694.png

Last edited:
Reactions: abdul

It could be "refurbed" and what about the rest of the components (Tx, charger, batteries etc)? They wouldn't be new unless DJI replaced everything (and is that what they do?).

Reactions: dirkclod
I hope not. People returning stuff because of poor decisions before purchase jacks the price up for everyone. Sell the refurb for what it is and cut your losses.

If you get a refresh, the replacement will have a different serial number and from what others have said would be marked as a replacement. It may or may not be checked when sent in for a "Refund".

Obviously others have stated clearly what happened during that flight. $125 is a very cheap lesson in this hobby.
My opinion of return policies is not relevant. Take a refresh and then build your skills in an open area.
Some phones are less suited to the software than others, I have had that problem, it could have caused the disconnect.

Reactions: abdul and Mavco
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54