DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Need help with near airport restriction

sdepace

Reactions
I need to fly at a golf course max 50 feet near a class D airport MMU but it's listed on Droneflyzone as 0 feet. I'm confused about the process to be able to fly. Is the only way to get approval for that by making a request to the FAA or will LAANC through Kittyhawk work? Do I also need to get the geofence unlocked through DJI?

Thanks for your help

If the max ceiling is 0, (edit - automated) LAANC approval is not possible.

B4YOUFLY is a better choice for checking locations.

I noticed that Droneflyzone incorrectly states, "Recreational flyers not within 5 miles of an airport."

Last edited:
If the max ceiling is 0, LAANC approval is not possible.

B4YOUFLY is a better choice for checking locations.

I noticed that Droneflyzone incorrectly states, "Recreational flyers not within 5 miles of an airport."
You can make 0'AGL grid requests via LAANC. Those are called manual requests, and are automatically sent to ATC for approval or denial. But many airports don't watch that email very well.

Best option is to use Drone Zone and apply for an Airspace Authorization. ATC has to look at those, but LAANC requests aren't a requirement for approval.

You can make 0'AGL grid requests via LAANC. Those are called manual requests, and are automatically sent to ATC for approval or denial. But many airports don't watch that email very well.

Best option is to use Drone Zone and apply for an Airspace Authorization. ATC has to look at those, but LAANC requests aren't a requirement for approval.
Thanks for that. I didn't know LAANC would forward 0' grid requests to ATC for consideration.

Attachments

• 1654868123175.gif
    1654868123175.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 10
Reactions: Vic Moss

Thanks for the info. Just not sure how to schedule something in advance where I need a sunny day for the shoot. If I have a day that looks good a few days out, ATC takes up to 90 days. I wish they would just geo fence anything above 50 feet which is more than enough for my shoot. Couldn't possibly get in the way of any aircraft. What would you recommend I do?

Thanks for the info. Just not sure how to schedule something in advance where I need a sunny day for the shoot. If I have a day that looks good a few days out, ATC takes up to 90 days. I wish they would just geo fence anything above 50 feet which is more than enough for my shoot. Couldn't possibly get in the way of any aircraft. What would you recommend I do?
Use the Srone Zone and apply for a multi day COA.

Reactions: Weazel
I need to fly at a golf course max 50 feet near a class D airport MMU but it's listed on Droneflyzone as 0 feet. I'm confused about the process to be able to fly. Is the only way to get approval for that by making a request to the FAA or will LAANC through Kittyhawk work? Do I also need to get the geofence unlocked through DJI?

Thanks for your help
Kittyhawk is now Aloft who also own B4YouFly.

Luckily my son's home near CHA Chattanooga is class C, 200' limit. Enough to get over the trees. Good luck

I’d say you have a high chance of approval for 50’ AGL. Approvals usually come pretty quickly so I bet they get back to you pretty quickly. Put in multiple requests, one for each day of a week say. Also make sure your phone number and email is correct on your LAANC request. At my local class B they always call me to discuss my manual authorizations.

I’d say you have a high chance of approval for 50’ AGL. Approvals usually come pretty quickly so I bet they get back to you pretty quickly. Put in multiple requests, one for each day of a week say. Also make sure your phone number and email is correct on your LAANC request. At my local class B they always call me to discuss my manual authorizations.
I did a shoot at a golf course near a Class D with 0' max AGL and got approval up to 150', which is what I requested. The course is hilly and had many trees. Not sure 50' would have been sufficient to get a good view.

I had to submit many requests to cover multiple days due to the need for decent weather for the shoot. My requests for single days were approved quickly, usually within a week.

I submitted a request for a full week. Got questions via email about it. It seems like multi-day requests come mostly from construction companies wanting to document progress. Despite answering all their (FAA) questions, the desired dates passed before approval/denial. If you try a multiday request you will need to give a lot more time for approval.

One handy feature is to re-submit a request that was previously approved (as I recall there is a box you click on to do this). Those seemed to get almost immediate approval. Only disappointing thing is you can only do this once per approved request. You can't piggy back a request by re-submitting a the approval of a re-submitted request.

Good luck...

Reactions: brett8883
I did a shoot at a golf course near a Class D with 0' max AGL and got approval up to 150', which is what I requested. The course is hilly and had many trees. Not sure 50' would have been sufficient to get a good view.

I had to submit many requests to cover multiple days due to the need for decent weather for the shoot. My requests for single days were approved quickly, usually within a week.

I submitted a request for a full week. Got questions via email about it. It seems like multi-day requests come mostly from construction companies wanting to document progress. Despite answering all their (FAA) questions, the desired dates passed before approval/denial. If you try a multiday request you will need to give a lot more time for approval.

One handy feature is to re-submit a request that was previously approved (as I recall there is a box you click on to do this). Those seemed to get almost immediate approval. Only disappointing thing is you can only do this once per approved request. You can't piggy back a request by re-submitting a the approval of a re-submitted request.

Good luck...
Yea it’s funny how that works isn’t it? Basically they consider the the distance from the runway path, size of the area, height, and length of time you are requesting. Your chances for approval go down as any of those parameters go up. 7 one-day requests are much more likely to be approved than 1 week-long request because the length of time per request is much lower.

Good luck...
OK thanks for the info!

Best option is to use Drone Zone and apply for an Airspace Authorization.
Couple of weeks late here, but Google threw this thread at me.

Don't you need to have a Part 107 for that. When you click "Create Authorisation" this pops up:

Recreational flyers cannot request to fly above the designated altitude ceiling in a UAS Facility Map (UASFM). Requests to fly above the UASFM altitude will be canceled.

Which implies that recreational flyers will always be limited to the UAS maps regardless.

Cheers.

Couple of weeks late here, but Google threw this thread at me.

Don't you need to have a Part 107 for that. When you click "Create Authorisation" this pops up:

Recreational flyers cannot request to fly above the designated altitude ceiling in a UAS Facility Map (UASFM). Requests to fly above the UASFM altitude will be canceled.

Which implies that recreational flyers will always be limited to the UAS maps regardless.

Cheers.
That is correct. Recreational flyers cannot obtain authorization to fly above the designated altitude ceiling.

Those flying under Part 107 have to provide a reason for exceeding the ceiling. You can't fly higher just because you have your Part 107 cert. By definition, you would be performing some sort of commercial activity and must describe it in your request for a waiver.

So a request to practice flying/maneuvering in a football field sized parkland wouldn't be sufficient reason.

The area I'm think of is about 1.5 miles due east of the midpoint of a north-south runway which the only one on the airfield.

So a request to practice flying/maneuvering in a football field sized parkland wouldn't be sufficient reason.

The area I'm think of is about 1.5 miles due east of the midpoint of a north-south runway which the only one on the airfield.
Do you have your Part 107 cert?

I'm seriously thinking of trying to get the certification if it will allow me to fly recreationally close to my house on a whim, instead of having to drive every time.

If you are flying recreationally, you are flying under 49 USC 44809 whether you have a Part 107 cert or not. 44809 is a "carve out" within Part 107 specific to recreational flights with very specific limitations.

A Part 107 cert will not allow you to fly recreationally with fewer restrictions or "on a whim".

You can only apply for a waiver if you have your 107 AND state the commercial purposes of your flight.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman